d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev1181018111812181318144472Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 32,517.50
Dec 8 2022 10:52am
Quote (Norlander @ Dec 8 2022 04:41pm)
Hopefully, not. Don't forget about my Ukrainian roots, well not quite Ukrainian, but the relatives think that they truly are, speak Ukrainian (thanks to USSR), despite the fact they are ethnically Hungarians. Everything is complicated when you belong to a Union: Soviet, European, you name it.

Yeah the EU is basically the exact same as the USSR...
Gold: 13.37
Dec 8 2022 10:58am
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ 8 Dec 2022 19:52)
Yeah the EU is basically the exact same as the USSR...

If they are sanctioned the same way then yes. If not then it's China on steroids.
Dec 8 2022 11:02am
Quote (Meanwhile @ Dec 8 2022 04:51pm)
Aren't Russians (the ones in moscow & close areas) a bit "jealous" of Ukraine joining the "free and rich" West ?

I'm trying to understand the Russian mindset. Obviously generalizing. It does appear they never reconciled the collapse of the USSR. In the same way that Germans have had to reconcile with defeat of WW2, the British have had to reconcile with the loss of Empire and diminished role on the world stage, the United States has had to accept its shortcoming in racial equality and civil rights.

Its appears to be a denial of something that was deemed to be a catastrophe by many who experienced it. The Russian people went from being rival world power, to collapsed system. Literally overnight.

Combine that with 20 years of autocratic rule, essentially by a cartel of oligarchs. Strict control of the media, the social narrative, restriction of protest/ refusal of political plurality.
What we have ended up with, is 140 million people living in a completely insulated version of reality.

Dec 8 2022 11:21am
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ 8 Dec 2022 20:02)
I'm trying to understand the Russian mindset. Obviously generalizing. It does appear they never reconciled the collapse of the USSR. In the same way that Germans have had to reconcile with defeat of WW2, the British have had to reconcile with the loss of Empire and diminished role on the world stage, the United States has had to accept its shortcoming in racial equality and civil rights.

Its appears to be a denial of something that was deemed to be a catastrophe by many who experienced it. The Russian people went from being rival world power, to collapsed system. Literally overnight.

Combine that with 20 years of autocratic rule, essentially by a cartel of oligarchs. Strict control of the media, the social narrative, restriction of protest/ refusal of political plurality.
What we have ended up with, is 140 million people living in a completely insulated version of reality.

Not many Russians in sane mind want a restoration of the Soviet Union under any souce.
Dec 8 2022 11:25am
Quote (Norlander @ Dec 8 2022 05:21pm)
Not many Russians in sane mind want a restoration of the Soviet Union under any souce.

I actually didn't say they did. However I would disagree with you. It appears alot of Russians would be fine with certain parts of the USSR returning. Mainly the inclusion of Ukraine and other periphery nations.
Dec 8 2022 11:34am
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ 8 Dec 2022 20:25)
I actually didn't say they did. However I would disagree with you. It appears alot of Russians would be fine with certain parts of the USSR returning. Mainly the inclusion of Ukraine and other periphery nations.

For the sake of glory may be. If they are old and didn't experience anything better. Nuclear electorate of Putin and his henchmen.
Gold: 45,309.00
Warn: 10%
Dec 8 2022 11:35am
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Dec 8 2022 05:02pm)

briefly:

its more apt to say that the germans, british and US have had historic issues that they struggle to move on from today.

to expand:

germany has been reluctant to take up the leadership role in the EU noting the historic events of ww2.
england voted for brexit in a vain pursuit of past glories which they dont have a hope of achieving.
the US does not accept its shortcomings in racial equality and civil rights.

I would argue russians did reconcile with the collapse of the USSR but that putin could not and can not reconcile with a further breakup of ukraine turning pro european.

each still has a psychological weight over their psyche relating to the issues you mentioned.

generalising of course, and again this is just my personal opinion.

This post was edited by ferdia on Dec 8 2022 11:40am
Dec 8 2022 12:25pm
Quote (ferdia @ Dec 8 2022 05:35pm)
briefly:

its more apt to say that the germans, british and US have had historic issues that they struggle to move on from today.

to expand:

germany has been reluctant to take up the leadership role in the EU noting the historic events of ww2.
england voted for brexit in a vain pursuit of past glories which they dont have a hope of achieving.
the US does not accept its shortcomings in racial equality and civil rights.

I would argue russians did reconcile with the collapse of the USSR but that putin could not and can not reconcile with a further breakup of ukraine turning pro european.

each still has a psychological weight over their psyche relating to the issues you mentioned.

generalising of course, and again this is just my personal opinion.

I think you have it backwards, just my opinion.

Knew you'd sneak brexit in there somehow :D
Gold: 45,309.00
Warn: 10%
Dec 8 2022 12:28pm
Quote (Prox1m1ty @ Dec 8 2022 06:25pm)
I think you have it backwards, just my opinion.

Knew you'd sneak brexit in there somehow :D

your original comment was:

i think if you had said:

I'm trying to understand the Russian mindset. Obviously generalizing. It does appear they never reconciled the collapse of the USSR. In the same way that Germans have never reconciled with events of ww2, or the British have never reconciled with the loss of Empire and diminished role on the world stage, or that the United States has never accepted its shortcoming in racial equality and civil rights.

Its appears to be a denial of something that was deemed to be a catastrophe by many who experienced it. The Russian nation went from being rival world power, to collapsed system. Literally overnight.

see my various bastardisations of your quote. no offence intended, just changed to a narrative i agree with! hope this does not cause you to throw stones at meeeee.
Dec 8 2022 12:31pm
Quote (ferdia @ Dec 8 2022 06:28pm)
your original comment was:

i think if you had said:

see my various bastardisations of your quote. no offence intended, just changed to a narrative i agree with! hope this does not cause you to throw stones at meeeee.

The british have reconciled with loss of empire, thats the point.

Most of the people who literally had to experience that reconciliation, are likely dead or very elderly.

In Russia that is totally different. Your talking 1945-55 vs 1990-91

This post was edited by Prox1m1ty on Dec 8 2022 12:32pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1181018111812181318144472Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll