d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Build Back Better
Prev1171819202128Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 6,061.70
Feb 13 2021 09:48pm
Quote (Plaguefear @ 13 Feb 2021 19:31)

So you're defective, and want to insult my taste in good food. Thanks. Dick.
Gold: 260.11
Feb 13 2021 09:53pm
Quote (InsaneBobb @ Feb 13 2021 09:32pm)
Seems like your go to on meat is to Sous Vide. You're not at all concerned over plastic particulates in your food?

I want to eat meat. I'm a hard carnivore. I don't give a shit about morality. They're not people. I can eat them. But I don't like eating plastic. Why is it that every solution you provide to cooking involves sous vide? What if I said, "No plastic" would you have a different alternative?

I am not concerned at all about plastic in the food from sous vide.

Sous vide is just an easy way to gently cook meat to keep it tender.

I haven't found a reason to sous vide chicken or ground beef or burgers. But for whole cuts of beef or pork its a straight upgrade to however you were going to cook it already
Feb 13 2021 09:55pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 13 Feb 2021 19:53)
I am not concerned at all about plastic in the food from sous vide.

Sous vide is just an easy way to gently cook meat to keep it tender.

I haven't found a reason to sous vide chicken or ground beef or burgers. But for whole cuts of beef or pork its a straight upgrade to however you were going to cook it already

You didn't answer the question. I'm not concerned about what you're concerned about. I'm not you. If I say, "No Plastic" what is your next bet?
Feb 13 2021 10:10pm
Quote (InsaneBobb @ Feb 13 2021 09:55pm)
You didn't answer the question. I'm not concerned about what you're concerned about. I'm not you. If I say, "No Plastic" what is your next bet?

Cook it as you otherwise would. Sous vide is more of an addition than a method of cooking in itself. Instead of just searing it in a skillet, you sous vide then sear it on a skillet.

So if you don't want to sous vide something, just cook it how you otherwise would. Sous vide is never the main event.
Feb 13 2021 10:15pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 13 Feb 2021 20:10)
Cook it as you otherwise would. Sous vide is more of an addition than a method of cooking in itself. Instead of just searing it in a skillet, you sous vide then sear it on a skillet.

So if you don't want to sous vide something, just cook it how you otherwise would. Sous vide is never the main event.

Okay, so you've now removed the element of "cooking it through" via sous vide. What's your process to cook pork sirloin through and through, while having it taste good?

Not trolling here mate. We've seen that you can cook. Just looking to see what your take on the cooking process is. :)
Feb 13 2021 10:36pm
Quote (InsaneBobb @ Feb 13 2021 10:15pm)
Okay, so you've now removed the element of "cooking it through" via sous vide. What's your process to cook pork sirloin through and through, while having it taste good?

Not trolling here mate. We've seen that you can cook. Just looking to see what your take on the cooking process is. :)

In that case just put it in a pan with olive oil (or another oil with a higher smoke point maybe, depending on how hot you're cooking it), cook on high heat until internal temperature of your choice, 165 F usually for safety on pork. Probably season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder first.

Sous Vide just means you don't have to guess at the internal temperature for safety and tenderness, but otherwise you just do everything the same.

Thing about pork is you really can't elevate it much, and it's hard to mess up too. Very easy. Yet somehow my mother in law manages. Heyooooo

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Feb 13 2021 10:36pm
Feb 13 2021 11:02pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 13 Feb 2021 20:36)
In that case just put it in a pan with olive oil (or another oil with a higher smoke point maybe, depending on how hot you're cooking it), cook on high heat until internal temperature of your choice, 165 F usually for safety on pork. Probably season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder first.

Sous Vide just means you don't have to guess at the internal temperature for safety and tenderness, but otherwise you just do everything the same.

Thing about pork is you really can't elevate it much, and it's hard to mess up too. Very easy. Yet somehow my mother in law manages. Heyooooo

Sorry to hear about your mother in law.

I'd maybe argue that high heat through and through is bad though. Get the hard sear, 3 minutes each side, on high, then go down to like medium for 7 minutes or so each side, then rest it for 10 minutes.

I dunno. I'm not a chef, but I think my pork comes out cooked through and through, without setting off a smoke alarm, and still being juicy as fuck.
Feb 13 2021 11:05pm
Quote (InsaneBobb @ Feb 13 2021 11:02pm)
Sorry to hear about your mother in law.

I'd maybe argue that high heat through and through is bad though. Get the hard sear, 3 minutes each side, on high, then go down to like medium for 7 minutes or so each side, then rest it for 10 minutes.

I dunno. I'm not a chef, but I think my pork comes out cooked through and through, without setting off a smoke alarm, and still being juicy as fuck.

I've been spoiled by sous vide. Perfect every time, only down side is you have to let it go for 2 hours before hand.

You could also do a reverse sear. Oven at ~250F until the middle temperature is around 145, then high heat and sear until internal is 165.
Feb 13 2021 11:09pm
Quote (Thor123422 @ 13 Feb 2021 21:05)
I've been spoiled by sous vide. Perfect every time, only down side is you have to let it go for 2 hours before hand.

You could also do a reverse sear. Oven at ~250F until the middle temperature is around 145, then high heat and sear until internal is 165.

I'm truly curious, how are you not bothered by plastic particulates in your food? Scientific studies have found that while sous vide is probably okay on a minimal basis, constant usage of this method will expose you to toxins that are simply not alright.

How is that an acceptable way to give 5* treatment to the animal you're eating?
Feb 13 2021 11:42pm
Quote (InsaneBobb @ Feb 13 2021 11:09pm)
I'm truly curious, how are you not bothered by plastic particulates in your food? Scientific studies have found that while sous vide is probably okay on a minimal basis, constant usage of this method will expose you to toxins that are simply not alright.

How is that an acceptable way to give 5* treatment to the animal you're eating?

As far as food usage, sous vide is the best way I've found to make consistently great steaks. I've more or less just accepted that plastic particulates are a fact of life we will all be exposed to. They're god damn everywhere. All of the sources are nowhere near done being discovered, so sous vide is likely just going to be a drop in the bucket compared to how much we get every day by the time they are done cataloging all the consumption.

So it's not that I'm not concerned (I didn't know there were any studies on plastic due to sous vide) it's that it greatly improves the meat and we are exposed so much every day that I don't think it's going to be a significant increase.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1171819202128Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll