d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Justice Served
Prev1141516171821Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 12,730.67
Apr 21 2021 01:53pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Apr 21 2021 09:26am)
How can ID requirements be racist if the underlying premise of that argument is not true?

You can literally get a free ID in Georgia just by bringing your birth certificate, SS, and basically some bill.

ALL of those things are provided for free. Even if you lost your SS or birth certificate those get issued for free with no penalty at request.

Like the argument is so dumb and nonsensical.

Many blacks people don't have ACCESS to a birth certificate because they were not granted one due to Jim Crow laws. This obviously only affects the older generation but there should remedies for those people. There's also the aspect that it's harder for poor people to find time to go to the DMV (which is a huge pain in the fucking ass). You're absolutely correct that voter ID laws, on their face, are not racist. But you definitely get some disproportionate outcomes.

The GA laws are different than the NC law that got thrown out. That was obviously racist because the mastermind behind the legislation had emails indicating his intention, the demographic data, etc. That's why the appellate court used the term "surgical precision. If you read my earlier post, you can take a look at the "souls to the polls" legislation which shows GA's intent. They WANT less black people voting so they are going to try to walk up the edge.

Some food for thought. How would you feel about a hypothetical law that:
1) Got rid of absentee ballots because they aren't secure
2) We reduced the number of polling locations in order to save money and only placed them in urban centers in order to be efficient
3) This occurred in a state that was blue but then started to go red

It's pretty obvious that this would be an attack on Republicans because rural voters primarily vote Republican. I'm sure Democrats would talk about "election integrity" and "balanced budgets" but it'd be pretty obvious what the intent was.
Gold: 24.06
Warn: 10%
Apr 21 2021 01:56pm
This comes down to people like Thor and thunder and even snipa just being plain racists. To have such a belief that blacks are just too damn dumb to get an id when it’s needed in every government standing just shows how they think their superior to blacks and have to help them from their own stupidity.(which is a false)
Gold: 11,647.00
Apr 21 2021 02:05pm
Quote (thundercock @ Apr 21 2021 03:53pm)
Many blacks people don't have ACCESS to a birth certificate because they were not granted one due to Jim Crow laws. This obviously only affects the older generation but there should remedies for those people. There's also the aspect that it's harder for poor people to find time to go to the DMV (which is a huge pain in the fucking ass). You're absolutely correct that voter ID laws, on their face, are not racist. But you definitely get some disproportionate outcomes.

The GA laws are different than the NC law that got thrown out. That was obviously racist because the mastermind behind the legislation had emails indicating his intention, the demographic data, etc. That's why the appellate court used the term "surgical precision. If you read my earlier post, you can take a look at the "souls to the polls" legislation which shows GA's intent. They WANT less black people voting so they are going to try to walk up the edge.

Some food for thought. How would you feel about a hypothetical law that:
1) Got rid of absentee ballots because they aren't secure
2) We reduced the number of polling locations in order to save money and only placed them in urban centers in order to be efficient
3) This occurred in a state that was blue but then started to go red

It's pretty obvious that this would be an attack on Republicans because rural voters primarily vote Republican. I'm sure Democrats would talk about "election integrity" and "balanced budgets" but it'd be pretty obvious what the intent was.

The bolded is probably the best argument I've heard so far of the validity of these claims, and id have to do more digging to see the source and methodology.

The Jim Crow stuff is low-hanging fruit and should have been remedied decades ago if it hasn't been currently, something tells me that the people impacted by that are very few in reality.

As far as the DMV stuff, not really buying into that. Most black people in Georgia live in an urban environment most of them clustered in Atlanta. Atlanta is a huge city with well-developed public transportation. No one likes riding the bus or having to wait for hours at the DMV, we've all been there though and this isn't a poor black people problem. Whether you make 200k a year or 15 bucks an hour it sucks.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Apr 21 2021 02:06pm
Gold: 2,504.69
Apr 21 2021 02:05pm
Quote (Landmine @ Apr 21 2021 02:56pm)
This comes down to people like Thor and thunder and even snipa just being plain racists. To have such a belief that blacks are just too damn dumb to get an id when it’s needed in every government standing just shows how they think their superior to blacks and have to help them from their own stupidity.(which is a false)

i didnt post a single time that intelligence was even a factor.

so maybe consider shutting the fuck up idk.

Quote (ofthevoid @ Apr 21 2021 03:05pm)
The bolded is probably the best argument I've heard so far of the validity of these claims, and id have to do more digging to see the source and methodology.

The Jim Crow stuff is low-hanging fruit and should have been remedied decades ago if it hasn't, something tells me that the people impacted by that very few in reality.

As far as the DMV stuff, not really buying into that. Most black people in Georgia live in an urban environment most of them clustered in Atlanta. Atlanta is a huge city with well-developed public transportation. No one likes riding the bus or having to wait for hours at the DMV, we've all been there though and this isn't a poor black people problem. Whether you make 200k a year or 15 bucks an hour it sucks.

my local DMV is open like 14 hours a day 6 days a week, im in and out in 15 mins with a new license. this isnt the same in Atlanta.

and you're making the point for me, the black population is uber concentrated in GA, thus small changes can have a larger impact.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Apr 21 2021 02:07pm
Apr 21 2021 02:06pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Apr 21 2021 02:05pm)

Superiority issues are so blatant with you.
Apr 21 2021 02:08pm
Quote (Landmine @ Apr 21 2021 03:06pm)
Superiority issues are so blatant with you.

im a better reader for sure.
Apr 21 2021 02:12pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Apr 21 2021 02:08pm)
im a better reader for sure.

Yes, skimming can be a downfall, but voter id isn’t racist in any sense. The act of stating it’s racist is a blatant lie and would only be used by those that portray themselves as superior. No better than Joe Biden stating: you ain’t black if you don’t vote for him. Racism is racism no matter the stature.

This post was edited by Landmine on Apr 21 2021 02:14pm
Gold: 12,730.67
Apr 21 2021 02:16pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Apr 21 2021 01:05pm)

The Jim Crow stuff is low-hanging fruit and should have been remedied decades ago if it hasn't been currently, something tells me that the people impacted by that are very few in reality.

Often times, they reduce DMV hours, specifically in black neighborhoods, in order to "cut costs." I don't know if that's the case in the Georgia law, but that has happened in the past.

I agree that it sucks for everyone. But you can't deny that it's harder for people who depend on an hourly wage to vs. someone who is salaried. Restrictions will always hurt poor people more.

One thing that was pretty amazing about the 2020 election is that the theory that "higher turnout = helps Democrats" was debunked. In a lot of areas, once it became EASIER to vote, Republicans actually gained MORE votes. I'm of the opinion that there should be multiple ways to vote (early in-person voting, mail-in voting, etc.) and it should be EASY. If there is a mistake regarding polling location, clerical error, etc. that should be able to be fixed even after the election (but before certification). Make it easy to vote and may the party with the best ideas win.
Gold: 11,647.00
Apr 21 2021 02:16pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Apr 21 2021 04:05pm)

my local DMV is open like 14 hours a day 6 days a week, im in and out in 15 mins with a new license. this isnt the same in Atlanta.

and you're making the point for me, the black population is uber concentrated in GA, thus small changes can have a larger impact.

This isn't the case in NY either. It took 3 months to get an appointment at the closest DMV to me. COVID had a lot to do with it but even prior to covid going to the DMV is generally a nightmare. I don't buy that black people are the only ones negatively impacted by that... that's an everyone problem, considering from my experience those things are always packed whether it's the burbs or inner city.

Quote (thundercock @ Apr 21 2021 04:16pm)
Often times, they reduce DMV hours, specifically in black neighborhoods, in order to "cut costs." I don't know if that's the case in the Georgia law, but that has happened in the past.

I agree that it sucks for everyone. But you can't deny that it's harder for people who depend on an hourly wage to vs. someone who is salaried. Restrictions will always hurt poor people more.

One thing that was pretty amazing about the 2020 election is that the theory that "higher turnout = helps Democrats" was debunked. In a lot of areas, once it became EASIER to vote, Republicans actually gained MORE votes. I'm of the opinion that there should be multiple ways to vote (early in-person voting, mail-in voting, etc.) and it should be EASY. If there is a mistake regarding polling location, clerical error, etc. that should be able to be fixed even after the election (but before certification). Make it easy to vote and may the party with the best ideas win.

I have no problem with that. This should be encouraged. It's objectively the right thing to do. The problem is when this comes at the expense of partiality.

I posted the Georgia law here verbatim, at least a snippet of it in another thread. Things like not allowing political actors to give water or other gifts on-premises are common sense things and yet these things are being labeled racist by the MSM and the corporates.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Apr 21 2021 02:24pm
Apr 21 2021 02:20pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Apr 21 2021 03:16pm)
This isn't the case in NY either. It took 3 months to get an appointment at the closest DMV to me. COVID had a lot to do with it but even prior to covid going to the DMV is generally a nightmare. I don't buy that black people are the only ones negatively impacted by that... that's an everyone problem, considering from my experience those things are always packed whether it's the burbs or inner city.

im not sure why you're in such a strawman mood today, but as ive said all along its disproportionate in it's effects, not sickle cell.....

politics is a number game, nuke 5% of your voter base and 10% of their voter base and you've just won the race.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1141516171821Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll