d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev11481491501511524493Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 22,164.69
Mar 11 2022 07:39am
Well I'm really hoping it will be past the end of our lifetimes before the first corporate policy panel holds a public deliberation and explains their rationale for why they are authorizing the execution of a dissident. I mean that in the sense of "I hope its not at the immediate end of our lifetimes".
Gold: 27,669.00
Warn: 10%
Mar 11 2022 07:44am
Quote (fender @ Mar 11 2022 01:38pm)
there is a distinction to be made though. we don't disagree on possible drawbacks in general, i explicitly acknowledged that in a previous post. we do, however, disagree on the scope of the likely impact of it, and i strongly oppose your initial characterisation and the examples you provided, as they were entirely unrelated to the temporary policy change that is the subject of this discussion.

I disagree. pre-existing hate crimes in tandem with this facebook move merely highlights the folly of facebooks move, which will only perpetuate or encourage further hate crimes. Yes Facebook did not start but they are on the bandwagon now and that company is used the world over and therefore I stand by my position.

This post was edited by ferdia on Mar 11 2022 07:44am
Gold: 35,785.13
Warn: 30%
Mar 11 2022 07:44am
I am pro Ukraine, but anti Zelenskyy.
I am also perfectly ok with Russia destroying the Ukraine government and reabsorbing them.
Not sure where that leaves me politically.

I just want to see as little blood shed as possible.
Other than the government officials, gays n trannys of coarse.

edit: am very anti NATO.

This post was edited by sirthom on Mar 11 2022 07:50am
Gold: 751.50
Mar 11 2022 07:45am
Quote (fender @ Mar 11 2022 02:30pm)
and literally no one is surprised.

now shut up, ampootin, we've had enough of you uncritically regurgitating russian propaganda here.

nobody was talking to you dipshit

your bullshit gets old, i havent made a single pro putin or whatever statement

skinned is an actual adult and not a kindergarten intellect like you, he knows what i am talking about

please bother someone else with your misery and toxicity

Quote (Saucisson6000 @ Mar 11 2022 02:34pm)
Eating shit will help each of them to reconsider their very own deep position; that voting for alpha war chief is just begging to get fucked.

maybe it will, maybe it will do the exact opposite

i should remind you that ultra harsh actions like the versailles treaty have created even more problems in the past

putins days are numbered, but what comes next is a question mark

Quote (ferdia @ Mar 11 2022 02:35pm)
and

everything that user JohnnyMcCoy said is relevant. its a different culture from ours. it is also generally accepted that the best ruler of a country is a benign dictator. if this concept eludes you, google it. note: Putin is not benign, i would say that JohnnyMcCoy is talking ideas rather then people, if this is understood?

exactly, not every place works like we westerners want it to work

and as i said, what matters are the people in charge and not the system

would you rather have an actually good hearted ruler? (theoretically of course) or a few hundred scumbags treating you like shit

a democratically elected parliament can trample your rights just like a king or dictator can

This post was edited by JohnnyMcCoy on Mar 11 2022 07:45am
Gold: 0.00
Mar 11 2022 09:15am
Quote (ferdia @ 11 Mar 2022 14:35)
and

everything that user JohnnyMcCoy said is relevant. its a different culture from ours. it is also generally accepted that the best ruler of a country is a benign dictator. if this concept eludes you, google it. note: Putin is not benign, i would say that JohnnyMcCoy is talking ideas rather then people, if this is understood? don't zoom in on Putin to label a view as negative.

Western Democracy is, Western. different countries have existed for a long time and what works for one does not (immediately) work for everyone. Yes, we enjoy massive civil liberties, and yes it the world would be a wonderful place if everyone did, but the fact is no country is perfect, most political systems are flawed and the polticians are flawed as well, as everyone is in their own way

"it is generally accepted", huh? i'll take "textbook ad populum fallacies" for 1,000, alex. i mean, i know what you're aiming at, but you (once again) completely overplayed your hand. there is this (purely theoretical) school of thought for which barely any decent examples in history exist, but it's by no means a "generally accepted" ideal government, not in political philosophy nor anywhere else, lol. the list of counter-arguments and alternative approaches is endless, and your claim is so absurd that i don't even have to go into the distinction between acceptance and acceptability since i am absolutely certain you can't even support the former with any kind of substance.

btw, you're completely misreading what ampoo actually stated there, just trying to make it fit your weird excursion into fringe colonial rationales. he's NOT advocating for a "benign dictator" as the ultimate "best ruler" of a country - what he's saying is that he doesn't care who holds power as long as he personally benefits - completely disregarding how population groups he doesn't belong to would fare in such a system. a perfect reflection of his entirely selfish ideals in every single aspect of society and life btw.

i don't know where the sudden shift to straw-manning an argument about every country having to be a western style democracy comes from, but i certainly never made that claim.

see, the problem with falling in love with cute little aphorisms and out of context quotes is: they make for nifty signatures, and might sound terribly clever at first glance, but taken too seriously they can severly limit your perspective and way of thinking.
talking about putin is not the narrow-minded gossiping you probably imagine when reading the (likely misattributed) quote in santara's sig. he's an important statesman, has been a major influence in world politics for several decades, the single most influential person of a major military power. discussing his decisions and character, the consequences of his actions, is legitimate and important discourse. the "person" inextricably linked with "ideas" and ideals he represents and "events" that he causes and influences.
you can't just disregard one element that's uncomfortable, and try to rationalise away current events (a full blown war, a hostile invasion, war crimes, lies, miscalculations, tragedy, suffering, death, propaganda...) by imagining an "idea" he ideally could stand for in an alternative universe. we're all living in a timeline where he's a murderer, war-monger, and dictator.

day dreaming about obscure political philosophy while clutching your pearls about temporary facebook censorship decisions for eastern europe won't change those facts.

This post was edited by fender on Mar 11 2022 09:22am
Gold: 0.00
Mar 11 2022 09:29am
Quote (JohnnyMcCoy @ 11 Mar 2022 14:45)
nobody was talking to you dipshit

your bullshit gets old, i havent made a single pro putin or whatever statement

skinned is an actual adult and not a kindergarten intellect like you, he knows what i am talking about

please bother someone else with your misery and toxicity

maybe it will, maybe it will do the exact opposite

i should remind you that ultra harsh actions like the versailles treaty have created even more problems in the past

putins days are numbered, but what comes next is a question mark

exactly, not every place works like we westerners want it to work

and as i said, what matters are the people in charge and not the system

would you rather have an actually good hearted ruler? (theoretically of course) or a few hundred scumbags treating you like shit

a democratically elected parliament can trample your rights just like a king or dictator can

talks about "kindergarten intellect", doesn't know the difference between sanctions and reparations, think's the versailles treaty and russia sanctions are even remotely similar. can't make that shit up. even if i tried to insult you, i couldn't possibly do a better job than you're doing yourself, ampootin. keep going, lol...
Mar 11 2022 09:59am
Quote (fender @ Mar 11 2022 03:15pm)
"it is generally accepted", huh? i'll take "textbook ad populum fallacies" for 1,000, alex. i mean, i know what you're aiming at, but you (once again) completely overplayed your hand. there is this (purely theoretical) school of thought for which barely any decent examples in history exist, but it's by no means a "generally accepted" ideal government, not in political philosophy nor anywhere else, lol. the list of counter-arguments and alternative approaches is endless, and your claim is so absurd that i don't even have to go into the distinction between acceptance and acceptability since i am absolutely certain you can't even support the former with any kind of substance.

btw, you're completely misreading what ampoo actually stated there, just trying to make it fit your weird excursion into fringe colonial rationales. he's NOT advocating for a "benign dictator" as the ultimate "best ruler" of a country - what he's saying is that he doesn't care who holds power as long as he personally benefits - completely disregarding how population groups he doesn't belong to would fare in such a system. a perfect reflection of his entirely selfish ideals in every single aspect of society and life btw.

i don't know where the sudden shift to straw-manning an argument about every country having to be a western style democracy comes from, but i certainly never made that claim.

see, the problem with falling in love with cute little aphorisms and out of context quotes is: they make for nifty signatures, and might sound terribly clever at first glance, but taken too seriously they can severly limit your perspective and way of thinking.
talking about putin is not the narrow-minded gossiping you probably imagine when reading the (likely misattributed) quote in santara's sig. he's an important statesman, has been a major influence in world politics for several decades, the single most influential person of a major military power. discussing his decisions and character, the consequences of his actions, is legitimate and important discourse. the "person" inextricably linked with "ideas" and ideals he represents and "events" that he causes and influences.
you can't just disregard one element that's uncomfortable, and try to rationalise away current events (a full blown war, a hostile invasion, war crimes, lies, miscalculations, tragedy, suffering, death, propaganda...) by imagining an "idea" he ideally could stand for in an alternative universe. we're all living in a timeline where he's a murderer, war-monger, and dictator.

day dreaming about obscure political philosophy while clutching your pearls about temporary facebook censorship decisions for eastern europe won't change those facts.

I stand by the benign dictator statement. The fact that you are taking this out of context is on you, not me. In terms of different cultures/nations having different ways of governance I would say that it is you that is misreading. to summarize my position: the form of government in any country, whether democratically elected or not, is not the determining factor as to whether that government framework would work in another country or not, or that another country needed a democratically elected government to work as well. In terms of nifty quotes in signatures, I dont have same but you do. regardless of whether another user has misquoted or w/e, if the quote or signature is determined (by me) as nice, i will say it, but dont then do a Cathy Newman on me and read further into that then face value.

finally, i agree with all of this: talking about putin is not the narrow-minded gossiping you probably imagine when reading the (likely misattributed) quote in santara's sig. he's an important statesman, has been a major influence in world politics for several decades, the single most influential person of a major military power. discussing his decisions and character, the consequences of his actions, is legitimate and important discourse. the "person" inextricably linked with "ideas" and ideals he represents and "events" that he causes and influences. you can't just disregard one element that's uncomfortable, and try to rationalise away current events (a full blown war, a hostile invasion, war crimes, lies, miscalculations, tragedy, suffering, death, propaganda...) by imagining an "idea" he ideally could stand for in an alternative universe. we're all living in a timeline where he's a murderer, war-monger, and dictator.

This post was edited by ferdia on Mar 11 2022 10:10am
Gold: 751.50
Mar 11 2022 10:06am
Quote (fender @ Mar 11 2022 04:29pm)
talks about "kindergarten intellect", doesn't know the difference between sanctions and reparations, think's the versailles treaty and russia sanctions are even remotely similar. can't make that shit up. even if i tried to insult you, i couldn't possibly do a better job than you're doing yourself, ampootin. keep going, lol...

spam reported
Mar 11 2022 10:19am
Also, I would say that making reference to the versailles treaty is not irrelevant noting the causes of the current war is being conveniently forgotten by us, the western powers, and being replaced with Russia being 100% to blame "since they invaded".

=====================
Wiki ~

Of the many provisions in the treaty, one of the most important and controversial being that: "The Allied and Associated Governments affirm and Germany accepts the responsibility of Germany and her allies for causing all the loss and damage to which the Allied and Associated Governments and their nationals have been subjected as a consequence of the war imposed upon them by the aggression of Germany and her allies." (the other members of the Central Powers signed treaties containing similar articles). This article, Article 231, later became known as the War Guilt clause.
=====================

Therefore, the same net result is possible, whereby Putin is going to be more irritated by us, for want of a better expression, for a long long time, and therefore in the unlikely event that the Ukraine situaiton eases off (i.e. no further escalation) the next time something like this happens Putin is going to be an Elephant and therefore may over-react. When i say over react i mean compared to the current behavior which is already way out there when viewed through our lenses.

This post was edited by ferdia on Mar 11 2022 10:23am
Gold: 13.37
Mar 11 2022 10:28am
Quote (sirthom @ 11 Mar 2022 16:27)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV0HgDRw2co

BTR-80 is used by ZSU (Ukrainian Military Forces) never by Russia, it's outdated. Also there are no signs of Z, V or O on the vehicle. People freely filming this disaster show that there were no Russian troops.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev11481491501511524493Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll