d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev11461471481491504493Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 285.00
Mar 11 2022 06:30am
Quote (JohnnyMcCoy @ Mar 11 2022 06:39am)
the exact same people who wonder how the hate campaign against jews could have worked are now spreading hate against completely innocent and regular russian people

time is a flat circle

Not actually. They did trade away their freedom for security many years ago and have become complacent in the face of authoritarianism due to increasing middle class creature comforts, and now reaping the results of that choice.

We do the same thing here, trading our freedom for comfort, to less of a degree. I can post memes, say what I want, drive anywhere in the US that isn't owned by one of our oligarchs, etc.

It is hypocritical to be up in arms about Ukrainian and not Palestine, Northern Ireland, Basque Spain, Syria & Iraq, Afghanistan. America enslaved hundreds of thousands of citizens to fight in Vietnam as conscripts.

But this is happening in the here and now, which is what I am concerned with. I would like a complete ceasefire. I think Ukraine should consider just cutting off the independent regions and calling them a loss and they're probably cooled on NATO by now since they aren't helping but could help them and are kind of enabling Russia to just commit war crimes across their country. All the blue and yellow flags on social media aren't changing that.

Quote (Saucisson6000 @ Mar 11 2022 07:31am)
Russians failed hard to have a working democracy, in several elections, for more 3 decades.
They will have to eat cow dung sandwiches: it's not hate but a fatality. (Thus they will get help from Pakis)
Only real victimes here are Ukrainians aka the nazis with a jew president and PM.

Putin squashed democracy on his rise to power. Russia is not a democracy.

This post was edited by Skinned on Mar 11 2022 06:35am
Gold: 17,384.69
Mar 11 2022 06:31am
Quote (JohnnyMcCoy @ 11 Mar 2022 11:39)
the exact same people who wonder how the hate campaign against jews could have worked are now spreading hate against completely innocent and regular russian people

time is a flat circle

Russians failed hard to have a working democracy, in several elections, for more 3 decades.
They will have to eat cow dung sandwiches: it's not hate but a fatality. (Thus they will get help from Pakis)
Only real victimes here are Ukrainians aka the nazis with a jew president and PM.
Gold: 27,669.00
Warn: 10%
Mar 11 2022 06:32am
I said:

Quote (ferdia @ Mar 11 2022 10:43am)
Another headline: Reuters: Facebook allows Ukraine war posts urging violence against invading Russians. | The problem with such a move is that it is a slippery slope from allowing hate speech against certain Russians to allowing hate speech against all Russians. At this point pandora's box is well and truly open with escalation, in all shapes and forms, guaranteed now. i.e. after hate speech comes fear and action, across the globe against russians (both baddies and those that actually left Russia to get away from Putin but are now being punished / attacked just because of where they were born).

You said:

Quote (fender @ Mar 11 2022 11:15am)
from the actual article ( https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/exclusive-facebook-instagram-temporarily-allow-calls-violence-against-russians-2022-03-10/ ): "We still won't allow credible calls for violence against Russian civilians" it's also a regionally restricted (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Estonia, Georgia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovakia, and Ukraine) temporary policy. now it's obviously perfectly legitimate to oppose this move, but don't give me that exaggerated alarmist slippery slope bs.

My point is: This is just 1 example of how the world is moving against Putin, but that ordinary Russians are going to be attacked purely for being Russian, Born Russian or of Russian Descent. By Facebook doing this they are indirectly providing a platform for wider hate speech and hate crimes. i.e. While I acknowledge your point that they are only allowing hate speech in certain countries and vs certain entities, and that elsewhere it is not becoming a lawful accepted norm to commit hate speech / hate crimes against Russia, the rhetoric is such that hate speech and hate crimes against russian's will increase and this facebook move is just a further step down that path. you can call that strawman, i call it reality.

================

This post was edited by ferdia on Mar 11 2022 06:50am
Mar 11 2022 06:36am
Quote (ferdia @ Mar 11 2022 07:32am)
I said:

You said:

My point is: This is just 1 example of how the world is moving against Putin, but that ordinary Russians are going to be attacked purely for being Russian, Born Russian or of Russian Descent. By Facebook doing this they are indirectly providing a platform for wider hate speech and hate crimes. i.e. While I acknowledge your point "They are only allowing hate speech in certain countries" and that elsewhere it is not becoming a lawful accepted norm to commit hate speech / hate crimes against Russia, the rhetoric is such that hate speech and hate crimes against russian's will increase and this facebook move is just a further step down that path.

Tough being diaspora when your home nation goes completely rogue.
Mar 11 2022 06:38am
I would say tough being diaspora when your place of birth government goes completely rogue. its a shit aspect of war but perfectly "normal" behavior and perpetuated throughout time. Its quite easy to pull similar examples from other major conflicts.

This post was edited by ferdia on Mar 11 2022 06:40am
Gold: 17,384.69
Mar 11 2022 06:45am
Hmm This facebook allowance in calls to kill putin is really weird.
Mar 11 2022 07:00am
Quote (ferdia @ Mar 11 2022 07:38am)
I would say tough being diaspora when your place of birth government goes completely rogue. its a shit aspect of war but perfectly "normal" behavior and perpetuated throughout time. Its quite easy to pull similar examples from other major conflicts.

Difference in statement is American vs Euro perspective. Same sentiment but my country is young and my family came here from somewhere else when they ran out of potatoes, became hillbillies in America to eventually be the urbanized white trash standing before you today. My mom was a coal miner's daughter.

This post was edited by Skinned on Mar 11 2022 07:03am
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 30%
Mar 11 2022 07:00am
Quote (ferdia @ 11 Mar 2022 13:32)
I said:

You said:

My point is: This is just 1 example of how the world is moving against Putin, but that ordinary Russians are going to be attacked purely for being Russian, Born Russian or of Russian Descent. By Facebook doing this they are indirectly providing a platform for wider hate speech and hate crimes. i.e. While I acknowledge your point that they are only allowing hate speech in certain countries and vs certain entities, and that elsewhere it is not becoming a lawful accepted norm to commit hate speech / hate crimes against Russia, the rhetoric is such that hate speech and hate crimes against russian's will increase and this facebook move is just a further step down that path.

================

i'd guess that to a certain (small) degree you would have had a point if you merely suggested that facebook not censoring those practices in eastern europe would have an amplifying effect on the already existing, misguided hate towards innocent russians elsewhere. that's not how you framed it though. you completely exaggerated the likely impact of that temporary and regional policy change, made no effort to portray its actual scope correctly, quite the opposite, and listed "examples" that have literally nothing to do with it.

that just rubbed me the wrong way, especially as it basically parrots the official kremlin narrative and complaint. again, fuck facebook, and fuck the morons targeting innocent russians (and their descendants), i have no sympathy for either of them - but i can certainly understand the urge to air legitimate grievances against war criminals and murderers.

one thing i will say though is that it's certainly a bit odd to have official (which i assume is something they didn't plan on) comments on that kind of stuff...
Mar 11 2022 07:12am
Quote (fender @ Mar 11 2022 01:00pm)
...one thing i will say though is that it's certainly a bit odd to have official (which i assume is something they didn't plan on) comments on that kind of stuff...

I dont mind agreeing to disagree.

i dont understand what you are referring to re: what I quoted. i.e. "official... comments". you mean from facebook exec's on their policy position or something else?

This post was edited by ferdia on Mar 11 2022 07:13am
Gold: 2,504.69
Mar 11 2022 07:18am
im glad we got a nice reprieve for some WW2 talks lol
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev11461471481491504493Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll