d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev11391401411421434494Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 751.50
Mar 9 2022 05:39pm
Quote (Skinned @ Mar 9 2022 11:38pm)
One of their top generals and Spetznaz commanders had his brains blown out the other day. Was a good shot. About 20k American veterans on the ground in Ukraine defending democracy.

And now the freedom of the Baltic states is at risk and the only thing keeping them safe is their alliance with Western powers.

That is why Finland is beating down the door right now lol.

20k? where did you get this number?

btw, i love how you went from social justice stuff to celebrating blown out brains in the name of "democracy"
Gold: 4,404.67
Mar 9 2022 05:39pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ 9 Mar 2022 20:37)
Bribed is possibly the wrong word but what happened is a lot of economic investment/loans/inclusion into various things are tied together. In the 1990s and later on in the early 2000's many of those eastern and central European countries were thirsty as fuck for any sort of investment and job creation and most of that money would be coming from the west, not the crumbled soviet east. Joining the EU and NATO as well, provided the economic carrot that tbh no one really wanted to turn down. If I'm an average Estonian, it's not necessarily that I feared Russia in 2004 but if NATO is looking to spend 5 billion dollars to build bases, house their soldiers here, spend more money here in my community I'd be all for it because ultimately it stimulates my economy, raises my standard of living, allows me to spend a week in Greece on holiday, etc. That's why all those ex-soviet states rushed at that opportunity meanwhile the much richer Finns and Swedes to this day are kind of on the fence about joining.

I don't know what happened in the smoky back room discussions that led to many of these countries to join NATO but as a sidebar look at the pressure that is being applied right now to countries like Hungary & Poland that are not on the same page when it comes to issues like immigration and social issues like lgbtqbbq+ rights. It's hard for me to believe that the enticement of economic investment wasn't used as some bargaining chip.

The economic carrot is mostly coming from EU membership, not NATO. Now, look at Poland, the Czech Republic and Hungary, who all joined NATO long before the EU (99 vs 04). These countries happen to have a strong national indentity and suffered particularly under Soviet/Russian rule.

Regarding Finland and Sweden: they have geography on their side. If Russia were to divert military resources to these two countries, they couldn't possibly apply pressure toward Central and Western Europe at the same time, which is just a much bigger prize. Also, the Baltics, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Romania experienced first-hand what it's like to live under Russian rule. Apparently, they all agreed that it suuuucks and that they would rather lick American and German boots than to risk going back to Russia.

Quote (bogie160 @ 9 Mar 2022 21:09)
Crimea in 2014 had a very easy pretext. Ukraine was in the midst of a low grade civil war, Crimea was majority Russian, and Russians wanted to be ruled by Russia.

The pretext here was that the Donbass required autonomy, but Putin clearly didn't want to stop at just the Donbass, so the pretense quickly fell apart.

The pretext for the annexation of Crimea was easy, sure. But the pretext for inciting a civil war in Eastern Ukraine was far less trivial, yet the Russian propaganda was able to convince most people in the West that there was good reason for their actions and that both sides share some degree of blame. This is a big part of the reason why the Western reaction was so tepid back then. This time around, they didn't even try to lay out some rationale for their invasion. They could have been telling the world for months that "dangerous fascists" are in power in Kyiv who are planning to acquire WMDs or preparing genocide in Eastern Ukraine. Instead, they only started disseminating these narratives while their own tanks were already rolling...

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Mar 9 2022 05:42pm
Gold: 285.00
Mar 9 2022 07:23pm
Quote (JohnnyMcCoy @ Mar 9 2022 06:39pm)
20k? where did you get this number?

btw, i love how you went from social justice stuff to celebrating blown out brains in the name of "democracy"

I'm sorry I meant 20k foreign soldiers fighting for Ukraine in Crimea. About 2k are American.

Dude I'm a veteran I'm pro gun I'm pro self-defense and I've never claimed to be a pacifist. Social justice is achieved by democracy, is a result of such.

I've been in dozens of fights in my life and am in physical conflicts pretty often. I got the shit beat out of me two weeks ago giving a guy a court ordered antipsychotic injection called Invega Sustenna, pulled my shoulder really bad, it hurts like hell, same shoulder a different patient (19F lol) mule kicked me in three or four years ago and now that I'm in my 40's I don't bounce back bro.

But I'm definitely the most violent dude on here but I'm a very peaceful person. You guys are thoroughly domesticated :) But I'm going to need a new job soon. I won't be able to get into physical conflicts in my 50s. Something is seriously going to blow out, for example my right foot sucks right now and I'm limping around lol.

Truth be told, anybody living peacefully in a democracy is doing so because someone blew someone else's brains out for democracy. Nothing happens because people decide to wake up and play nice. This and social justice come from the same place, as democracy is an expression of social justice.

This post was edited by Skinned on Mar 9 2022 07:26pm
Gold: 96,293.69
Warn: 10%
Mar 9 2022 07:26pm
Quote (Skinned @ Mar 9 2022 08:23pm)
I'm sorry I meant 20k foreign soldiers fighting for Ukraine in Crimea. About 2k are American.

Dude I'm a veteran I'm pro gun I'm pro self-defense and I've never claimed to be a pacifist. Social justice is achieved by democracy, is a result of such.

I've been in dozens of fights in my life and am in physical conflicts pretty often. I got the shit beat out of me two weeks ago giving a guy a court ordered antipsychotic injection called Invega Sustenna, pulled my shoulder really bad, it hurts like hell, same shoulder a different patient (19F lol) mule kicked me in three or four years ago and now that I'm in my 40's I don't bounce back bro.

I'm the most likely person here to shoot someone in the head in the name of democracy and actually feel quite a bit of guilt having been a soldier and having those tools in the toolbox and not using them. But I'm old and fat now and I have a family and a career and its not actually my war even if I have strong feelings about it.

But I'm definitely the most violent dude on here, and I'm a very peaceful person. You guys are just thoroughly domesticated animals :) But I'm going to need a new job soon. I won't be able to get into physical conflicts in my 50s. Something is seriously going to blow out, for example my right foot sucks right now and I'm limping around lol.

Truth be told, anybody living peacefully in a democracy is doing so because someone blew someone else's brains out for democracy. Nothing happens because people decide to wake up and play nice. This and social justice come from the same place, as democracy is an expression of social justice.

You're a Shill why should anyone believe you?
Mar 9 2022 07:28pm
Quote (PapaPsych @ Mar 9 2022 08:26pm)
You're a Shill why should anyone believe you?

Because I'm not a random like you are and we have a history going back 5+ years or so on PaRD. A lot of people here longer.

Grown ups are talking :)

And I'm not a shill, I change my mind, change opinions, admit when I'm wrong.

This post was edited by Skinned on Mar 9 2022 07:29pm
Mar 9 2022 07:30pm
Quote (Skinned @ 10 Mar 2022 02:23)

I would assume that many, if not most of those 20k American soldiers fighting in Ukraine right now have Ukrainian roots or family ties. I just cannot believe that a lot of men would volunteer to privately fight in a foreign war and risking their lives to defend democracy in a country thousands of miles away.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Mar 9 2022 07:31pm
Mar 9 2022 07:33pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Mar 9 2022 08:30pm)
I would assume that many, if not most of those 20k American soldiers fighting in Ukraine right now have Ukrainian roots or family ties. I just cannot believe that a lot of men would volunteer to privately fight in a foreign war and risking their lives to defend democracy in a country thousands of miles away.

There are a lot of American mercenaries looking to give Ivan a good whipping and make a buck doing it. I think that is a lot of the number. A good place to sell those skills.

There are a lot of American "contractors" out there.

This post was edited by Skinned on Mar 9 2022 07:34pm
Mar 9 2022 07:59pm
Quote (Skinned @ 10 Mar 2022 02:33)
There are a lot of American mercenaries looking to give Ivan a good whipping and make a buck doing it. I think that is a lot of the number. A good place to sell those skills.

There are a lot of American "contractors" out there.

But mercenaries don't fight for free, someone has to pay them. I can't imagine the Ukrainian government being the one funding them. Maybe some patriotic Ukrainian oligarchs? :ph34r:

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Mar 9 2022 07:59pm
Gold: 80,771.69
Mar 9 2022 08:09pm
Quote (IchBinDaddy @ Mar 9 2022 03:08pm)
“Oh sorry”
*proceeds to blow a terrorist Russian’s head clean off with a 50 cal after lobbing a maple syrup grenade*

Never underestimate the power of cerevisiae maple syrup. You can only see it if it's frozen.

Gold: 14,949.00
Mar 9 2022 08:16pm
Quote (lodd222 @ 9 Mar 2022 20:09)
Never underestimate the power of cerevisiae maple syrup. You can only see it if it's frozen.

Poutine bombs for Putin… and bags of milk.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev11391401411421434494Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll