d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Justice Served
Prev1131415161721Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,504.69
Apr 21 2021 12:27pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Apr 21 2021 01:21pm)
I mean when you have the whole world including very poor countries operating on some baseline standard and then you have one political party actively lobbying to lower that standard in our country then yeah it's of issue.

and poor countries have that standard due to god awful border enforcement, or better yet its a tool of authoritarians to rig elections. rich countries in Europe have it for entirely different reasons.

to call it a standard without recognizing a vast array of differences in motivations for that "standard" seems disingenuous.

but in general the USA is a different animal, i dont cater to "but so and so does it". whether thats gun registration or voter ID laws or universal healthcare.

american problems require unique solutions, we're not a plug and play nation.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Apr 21 2021 12:28pm
Gold: 2,420.00
Apr 21 2021 12:53pm
he deserved it
Gold: 347.20
Apr 21 2021 12:57pm
Quote (Jupe @ Apr 21 2021 02:53pm)
he deserved it

100% he was a bad cop. The only thing that annoy me with this story is how much Floyd was seen as a hero when he was a crackhead criminal . As for the racism/bad cop thing. 100% agree on the judgment that shouldn't happen whatever the races concerned is.
Gold: 2,420.00
Apr 21 2021 12:59pm
Quote (SunnyvaleTrailerPark @ Apr 21 2021 02:57pm)
100% he was a bad cop. The only thing that annoy me with this story is how much Floyd was seen as a hero when he was a crackhead criminal . As for the racism/bad cop thing. 100% agree on the judgment that shouldn't happen whatever the races concerned is.

He also deserved it
Gold: 11,647.00
Apr 21 2021 01:15pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Apr 21 2021 02:27pm)
and poor countries have that standard due to god awful border enforcement, or better yet its a tool of authoritarians to rig elections. rich countries in Europe have it for entirely different reasons.

to call it a standard without recognizing a vast array of differences in motivations for that "standard" seems disingenuous.

but in general the USA is a different animal, i dont cater to "but so and so does it". whether thats gun registration or voter ID laws or universal healthcare.

american problems require unique solutions, we're not a plug and play nation.

Yes, we're the only multicultural multi-racial society in the world, and the prescription of team woke is the only way forward.
Apr 21 2021 01:20pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Apr 21 2021 02:15pm)
Yes, we're the only multicultural multi-racial society in the world, and the prescription of team woke is the only way forward.

the USA stands alone in its melting pot composition and formation of different cultures. if u cant recognize this, and that it causes unique issues that prescriptions from around the globe may not be effective against than i have no response. much like on the guns issue our system of rights is relevant to most issues that arise.

woke fixes work sometimes, but that would be a really bad characterization of my personal stances. on policing for example i'd get liberal cheers when i call for police reform, then dead silence when they realize i want to push almost all women from the field. varied systems of incremental change are the way, just horribly unpopular in such a deeply polarized era.
Gold: 12,730.67
Apr 21 2021 01:29pm
Quote (Black XistenZ @ Apr 21 2021 08:48am)
The new voting law in Georgia which is causing all the outrage requires a photo ID for absentee voting irrespective from race. So, tell me, how exactly is this provision targetting blacks?

So, Georgia's new laws actually removed a lot of the racist shit. One of the proposals was to ban early voting on Sunday due to the success of "Souls to the Polls." This is obviously targeting black people in a pretty obvious way.

The other things, such as keeping dropbox locations open only during certain hours of the day, require analysis to determine if it has a disproportionate effect on blacks. They also typically remove polling locations in black neighborhoods for "cost saving measures" which forces blacks to have to travel longer distances to vote as a whole. Now, you could make the argument that it's not prohibitive, and I'd agree with that, but it's just another tiny step to make it harder for blacks to vote.
Gold: 11,647.00
Apr 21 2021 01:34pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Apr 21 2021 03:20pm)
the USA stands alone in its melting pot composition and formation of different cultures. if u cant recognize this, and that it causes unique issues that prescriptions from around the globe may not be effective against than i have no response. much like on the guns issue our system of rights is relevant to most issues that arise.

woke fixes work sometimes, but that would be a really bad characterization of my personal stances. on policing for example i'd get liberal cheers when i call for police reform, then dead silence when they realize i want to push almost all women from the field. varied systems of incremental change are the way, just horribly unpopular in such a deeply polarized era.

The whole new world is to some degree a melting pot. Canada, Brazil, etc also have a ton of different ethnicities and cultures. Both of those countries have voter ID laws.

Like I said, this take that we're somehow unique in this aspect is not based in reality. You would think free IDs would solve this but it's becoming evident that it's really not about the cost even though that was the initial argument.
Gold: 260.11
Apr 21 2021 01:37pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Apr 21 2021 02:34pm)
The whole new world is to some degree a melting pot. Canada, Brazil, etc also have a ton of different ethnicities and cultures. Both of those countries have voter ID laws.

Like I said, this take that we're somehow unique in this aspect is not based in reality. You would think free IDs would solve this but it's becoming evident that it's really not about the cost even though that was the initial argument.

I'll say it again, the cost of an ID was never the sole argument.

We're like 5 years into voter ID discussions on this forum. Why would you even pretend that was the sole argument? If you haven't paid attention to the discussions then maybe try listening instead of trying to speak with authority.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Apr 21 2021 01:38pm
Apr 21 2021 01:45pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Apr 21 2021 02:34pm)

Quote (Thor123422 @ Apr 21 2021 02:37pm)
I'll say it again, the cost of an ID was never the sole argument.

We're like 5 years into voter ID discussions on this forum. Why would you even pretend that was the sole argument? If you haven't paid attention to the discussions then maybe try listening instead of trying to speak with authority.

i literally laid out the 3 stage argument and you seem to be back to "but its free" so ya idk, take a walk.

i did the same on multicultural not being the only fact, and you're back there.

your one dimensional focus is a crutch.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Apr 21 2021 01:46pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1131415161721Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll