d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Russia / Ukraine
Prev11131141151161174498Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4,404.67
Mar 7 2022 03:12pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ 7 Mar 2022 21:51)
There's no such thing as clean wars. Literally all wars have war crimes. You think firing artillery always lands where you expect it to land? You think Dresden being flattened or Japan's Hiroshima and Nagasaki are war crimes? Maybe, but that's not the way it went down in history, because in an all out war those are nonsensical notions.

All wars consist of various shades of gray, rather than being pure black-and-white affairs. However, this does not rule out that one side is a far darker shade of gray than the other.

Quote (thesnipa @ 7 Mar 2022 21:55)
IF, and its a big IF, Putin calculated even close to the expenses this will cost Russia, then NATO expansion is an existential threat to him. but occam's razor tells me he didnt predict this western response, and is now all in with a mediocre hand with no choice but to wait out the rest of the cards. withdraw cant be done, he's gone too all in trying to paint this as toppling Hitler. he fucked up.

Agreed. Imho, the diplomatic minimum Putin needs to get out of this mess while saving face at home is for Zelensky to step down and the new UA president to acknowledge the independence of the people's republics in the east as well as publicly renounce any plans to join NATO.

Quote (thundercock @ 7 Mar 2022 22:00)
For Ukraine, it's simply to survive and have a functioning government. As time goes on, I imagine that the objects are to keep as much land as possible. For Russia, I think it's a lot more complicated. It appears that they wanted to quickly decapitate the government in Kyiv via Blitzkrieg tactics. In addition, I think they want to form a land bridge between Russia and Crimea and take as much of the Ukrainian coastline as possible in hopes that Ukraine (should it survive) cede those lands. If they can make it to Moldova, even better because Russia could claim most of the Black Sea resources.

As for Kyiv, the Russians haven't encircled it yet and supplies are moving in and out. I would HOPE that they are preparing for a very long siege (similar to Sarajevo, Stalingrad, etc.) given that the West has military advisors on the ground helping the Ukrainians out. I wouldn't necessarily call it "impressive" either since the border between Kyiv and Belarus is less than 200 km. Surrounding it from the South would have been really impressive though IMO. Russia is going to have to create more stable supply lines if they are going to hold the territory and that's assuming insurgency levels remain low-ish. Occupying territory requires A LOT of troops and I don't doubt that Russia is capable of doing it. The question is if they have the political will to do it given that their economy got nuked and they've lost thousands of troops already.

If they can make it to Moldova, they could connect Transnistria and force Moldova to let this insurgent province officially break away and join Russia (or a new, Russia-aligned state along the Black Sea coast).

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Mar 7 2022 03:14pm
Gold: 15,395.00
Mar 7 2022 03:13pm
Quote (thundercock @ Mar 7 2022 04:00pm)
For Ukraine, it's simply to survive and have a functioning government. As time goes on, I imagine that the objects are to keep as much land as possible. For Russia, I think it's a lot more complicated. It appears that they wanted to quickly decapitate the government in Kyiv via Blitzkrieg tactics. In addition, I think they want to form a land bridge between Russia and Crimea and take as much of the Ukrainian coastline as possible in hopes that Ukraine (should it survive) cede those lands. If they can make it to Moldova, even better because Russia could claim most of the Black Sea resources.

As for Kyiv, the Russians haven't encircled it yet and supplies are moving in and out. I would HOPE that they are preparing for a very long siege (similar to Sarajevo, Stalingrad, etc.) given that the West has military advisors on the ground helping the Ukrainians out. I wouldn't necessarily call it "impressive" either since the border between Kyiv and Belarus is less than 200 km. Surrounding it from the South would have been really impressive though IMO. Russia is going to have to create more stable supply lines if they are going to hold the territory and that's assuming insurgency levels remain low-ish. Occupying territory requires A LOT of troops and I don't doubt that Russia is capable of doing it. The question is if they have the political will to do it given that their economy got nuked and they've lost thousands of troops already.

I hope the opposite happens in reality. The faster this ends the better. I don't care about Ukrainians or Russian capitulation, what I want is for this to be done as soon as possible.

Supply routes being available to me is an indication that they're really not balls deep about scorching everything. I don't think they are letting transport from in and out of the city because they can't stop it but rather they just aren't sending their cruise and ballistic missiles to completely cut off these cities. I still think deep down they want a country that's somewhat viable instead of a bombed out wasteland.
Mar 7 2022 03:16pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ 7 Mar 2022 22:13)
I hope the opposite happens in reality. The faster this ends the better. I don't care about Ukrainians or Russian capitulation, what I want is for this to be done as soon as possible.

Supply routes being available to me is an indication that they're really not balls deep about scorching everything. I don't think they are letting transport from in and out of the city because they can't stop it but rather they just aren't sending their cruise and ballistic missiles to completely cut off these cities. I still think deep down they want a country that's somewhat viable instead of a bombed out wasteland.

I think we all agree that a long, drawn-out war is the worst outcome. A quick Russian victory or a quick Russian quasi-defeat (backing down and agreeing to a diplomatic compromise) would be much preferable.
Gold: 12,730.67
Mar 7 2022 03:24pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 7 2022 01:13pm)

I mean....if the Russians just leave, the war will end lol. Why should it be Ukrainians who give up and not Russia?

You can't just "bomb" cities either without establishing supply lines. Russia doesn't have enough missiles and Ukraine can shoot down Russian bombers and jets. This isn't Afghanistan...Ukraine has a lot of equipment that simply isn't available to the Russian military because the West has been giving it to them for years now. The Russian army has A LOT of artillery so you need to move that into position and that requires fuel.
Gold: 3.33
Mar 7 2022 03:29pm
Bucha has fallen and Irpin is close to falling to the Russians. If they control Irpin and move their column in they'll be within striking distance of Kyiv. With artillery in range, apart from the obvious fact of the city being razed to the ground, the Ukrainian Army will be sitting ducks on the outskirts and have a much better chance of success retreating to the city centre with more cover and higher vantage points. But retreating also means getting your supply lines cut and taking a huge morale hit

In other news, the Ukrainians have captured a city 40km east of Kharkiv in a counterattack, which is pretty impressive given the fact they're under siege

Just a matter of time until Mariupol falls, with them being totally surrounded and running low on supplies. Then again, most of Ukraine's best fighters are in the Donetsk Oblast and they will fight to the death no doubt

Lots of counterattacks and ambushes against Russian forces on the route to Mykolaiv. As long as Mykolaiv holds, Ukraine's access to the black Sea will be protected, which is crucial for their economy

Lots of Russian planes were downed in Kharkiv Oblast over the weekend as a result of Russia using their airforce more

Overall, not a good weekend for Ukraine, primarily down to the lost ground north west of Kyiv which is so important
Gold: 15,395.00
Mar 7 2022 03:42pm
Quote (thundercock @ Mar 7 2022 04:24pm)
I mean....if the Russians just leave, the war will end lol. Why should it be Ukrainians who give up and not Russia?

You can't just "bomb" cities either without establishing supply lines. Russia doesn't have enough missiles and Ukraine can shoot down Russian bombers and jets. This isn't Afghanistan...Ukraine has a lot of equipment that simply isn't available to the Russian military because the West has been giving it to them for years now. The Russian army has A LOT of artillery so you need to move that into position and that requires fuel.

Either or i don't care. The realist in me tells me that Russia won't just high tail it out of there without achieving at least some level of concession. You can by using the newer tech but again those are fairly crude methods. If they were raining down Kalibr missiles day and night with some nasty payloads, what would be left of those cities?

I agree as far as their Airforce not being fully deployed really. They're trying to be more careful about losing those considering NATO gave the Ukrainians some advanced anti-air weps.

Mar 7 2022 04:09pm
Quote (dro94 @ 7 Mar 2022 22:29)
Bucha has fallen and Irpin is close to falling to the Russians. If they control Irpin and move their column in they'll be within striking distance of Kyiv. With artillery in range, apart from the obvious fact of the city being razed to the ground, the Ukrainian Army will be sitting ducks on the outskirts and have a much better chance of success retreating to the city centre with more cover and higher vantage points. But retreating also means getting your supply lines cut and taking a huge morale hit

In other news, the Ukrainians have captured a city 40km east of Kharkiv in a counterattack, which is pretty impressive given the fact they're under siege

Just a matter of time until Mariupol falls, with them being totally surrounded and running low on supplies. Then again, most of Ukraine's best fighters are in the Donetsk Oblast and they will fight to the death no doubt

Lots of counterattacks and ambushes against Russian forces on the route to Mykolaiv. As long as Mykolaiv holds, Ukraine's access to the black Sea will be protected, which is crucial for their economy

Lots of Russian planes were downed in Kharkiv Oblast over the weekend as a result of Russia using their airforce more

Overall, not a good weekend for Ukraine, primarily down to the lost ground north west of Kyiv which is so important

Great post!

Kyiv is the lynchpin of this war imho. If Ukraine can hold it, they ensure the survival of their country, even if ceding everything to the east of Kharkiv is inevitable. On the other hand, if the Russians can take Kyiv quickly, Ukraine will have no other choice than to surrender on Putin's terms. My biggest concern right now is that neither of these two scenarios will happen and that Kyiv turns into some sort of Aleppo 2.0.

This post was edited by Black XistenZ on Mar 7 2022 04:10pm
Banned
Gold: 0.00
Mar 7 2022 04:11pm
everybody is talking about peace and they all pumping biollions of dollar into they forces now.

simple fact from the past centurys. armys u have u going to use. weapons u produce will be in use at some point, therefore, enjoy

not every nazi was in the ss and not every ss men was a nazi. also a nazi did cry an laugh . putin is still a human beeing like....

in 2011 and 2012 i was serving in afghanistan as part of the german isaf. and guess what we did . war crimes. we let kids collect our shot ammunition and let them clean our shootingranges. while we was kickin mommy kitchen door

we the west set the world up on fire all dem dictators are a result of our actions, fact

This post was edited by Frosch01 on Mar 7 2022 04:16pm
Gold: 12,730.67
Mar 7 2022 04:13pm
Quote (dro94 @ Mar 7 2022 01:29pm)

Interesting, seems like more of the status quo. I've been using this: https://www.understandingwar.org/
The next week is going to be particularly deadly because I imagine the Siege of Kyiv will begin pretty soon. In brighter news, there are reports that Ukraine has killed another flag officer (2 star general). It seems very strange to me that Russia has lost TWO 2-star generals in a week...I don't think I've heard of that happening before, have you?
Gold: 285.00
Mar 7 2022 04:16pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Mar 7 2022 04:42pm)
Either or i don't care. The realist in me tells me that Russia won't just high tail it out of there without achieving at least some level of concession. You can by using the newer tech but again those are fairly crude methods. If they were raining down Kalibr missiles day and night with some nasty payloads, what would be left of those cities?

I agree as far as their Airforce not being fully deployed really. They're trying to be more careful about losing those considering NATO gave the Ukrainians some advanced anti-air weps.

Russia doesn't have an air force or it would be using it. We used to think Russia had an army but instead they have this wet fart they're invading Ukraine with...so they can't bluff with that anymore either.

There are Ukrainian armor battalions on field fighting Russian armor. The only way this is possible is if Russia does not have a real air force.

Where is the missing Russian air force?

It turns out that giving out the money to corrupt generals to buy yachts and mansions with isn't going to help you win wars :)

If Russia had any capabilities to achieve any of their strategic goals they would. They're almost a dozen days into this war and have gained temporary control of a few cities.

Their troops didn't even know they were invading Ukraine. They were told they were going to do drills.

But individual Russian commanders have decided to follow orders and shell civilian apartment buildings, ceasefire humanitarian corridors they promised not to, etc, so I won't feel bad when they are annihilated.

Putin is hiring Syrian mercenaries to send to Ukraine....his terrorists from Chechnya were all killed very very quickly.

Putin is a terrorist and a criminal. An army marches on its stomach. They will take cities but they won't be able to keep them very long.

At best Putin created a large area where anyone who wants can go fight Russian soldiers like we had in Afghanistan.

This post was edited by Skinned on Mar 7 2022 04:20pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev11131141151161174498Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll