d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Automation, Robots, And Unemployment
Prev191011121319Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,504.69
Jun 16 2017 01:05pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Jun 16 2017 01:03pm)
If you're 40+ and too "old" to learn a new industry, that's your own damn fault. If you're older, you know the world is changing.

that's not what i meant at all. it's not stubbornness it's reality they are contending with. They are up against kids who can go to school full time, with brains hardwired for technology, willing to take less wages because they don't have families to support, willing to work more hours because they dont have families to spend time with, etc.
Jun 16 2017 01:52pm
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/amazon-buying-whole-foods-ramifications-retail-seismic-185901537.html

i normally won't post yahoo news unless it's to point out the slant they use. but this article isn't awful and i haven't found a better publication tackling the story from this perspective, yet.

i'm sure in a week some really good Forbes, Popular Mechanics, etc articles will be around.
Gold: 4,962.00
Warn: 10%
Jun 16 2017 04:57pm
As labor becomes automated, unskilled workers lose employment? Wow, imagine that.....

Hey kids, pay a bit more attention in school.

Hope this helps.
Gold: 10,485.00
Jun 16 2017 05:26pm
Quote (Ghot @ Jun 16 2017 01:53pm)
I already read all this "theorying" back in the day when the assembly line was invented.

Same shyt, different century. It's all old news.

Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 16 2017 01:57pm)
convincing people of your age group is always the hardest. too much perspective to break through.

my step mom retired after 45 years in assembly work, she also doesn't get it.

Quote (AspenSniper @ Jun 16 2017 02:03pm)
If you're 40+ and too "old" to learn a new industry, that's your own damn fault. If you're older, you know the world is changing.

Technology is rather easy. I mean my generation invented it.

The hard part seems to be getting the younger generation to understand sarcasm. :)

Here, I'll translate English into er, English...

This whole topic is the same crap ppl were saying back when Henry Ford invented the assembly line.
It turned out to not be true then, just like it'll turn out not to be true now.

The only thing that EVER changes is the date of things. All else is just a repeat of what has gone before...with different names.

Yes, here come robotics, big deal. Folks welding on a car frame will be out of work. Robots will do it now. BUT...
...social outrage will rear it's ugly head. The govt. will respond with "new training methods" and those put out of work will be the first to be trained to build, service and maintain the robots.

Anyone ever heard of Egypt and the pyramids, and the slaves that built them?
These days they are called brick layers, and are probably unionized.

How about all those slaves that were needed to pick cotton? Then came the cotton gin, and put them all out of ...er, work.
Now they make millions a year playing basketball, baseball and football.

Nothing EVER changes, it just repeats endlessly. So not to worry about all those factory workers that will be replaced by robots.

Every generation thinks they are witness to problems that have never occurred before. I spent 7 years in the military.
I worked on tube equipment and then IC chips.
I was a LORAN A and C tech. Before I got out, we were inventing what you call....GPS.

Nothing ever changes.

Jun 16 2017 07:48pm
Quote (Ghot @ Jun 16 2017 05:26pm)
Nothing ever changes.

yeah yeah, i get it. you've done seen it all :blush:

thing is, those "jobs" "trained to build, service and maintain the robots." arent a thing.

i mean they are, but the percentage of jobs that are taken by robots compared to what you've said there isn't even really worth mentioning.

i wont take much time because i already know your biases are ingrained too deeply. but it takes about 1 maintenance tech to service an entire line of automation, which can do the jobs of 50-100 people. That's on today's tech. if only i could express in numbers the increase in sensors, computers, etc in automation lines in just the last 5 years. soon the maintenance men will be replaced.

as to "building robots' lol. you think a robot can build a car but not a robot? that's cute i guess. we have eliminated about a quarter of our fabrication dept in the last 3 years, with automated machinery. keeping in mind our company is growing at a VERY fast rate. so we're making about 125% of the products from the year before while reducing human labor.

i always have to laugh when people argue with me that really have zero idea about the automation industry. i mean i have a vested interest in taking people's jobs. i work for a profit sharing company in the automation industry. somehow its not alarming that i'm trying to warn people who i will directly profit off of.

How about all those slaves that were needed to pick cotton? Then came the cotton gin, and put them all out of ...er, work.
Now they make millions a year playing basketball, baseball and football.

as to that. my god dude.

This post was edited by thesnipa on Jun 16 2017 07:48pm
Gold: 0.69
Warn: 50%
Jun 16 2017 07:50pm
My jobs secure, no robots going to cut out buildings 40 stories up. And if the day ever comes where thats possible, ill be waaay cheaper
Jun 16 2017 07:53pm
Quote (Tuna_BeIIy @ Jun 16 2017 07:50pm)
My jobs secure, no robots going to cut out buildings 40 stories up. And if the day ever comes where thats possible, ill be waaay cheaper

what is that?
Jun 16 2017 07:58pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Jun 16 2017 10:23pm)
what is that?

Removing the old caulking from buildings and adding new. I exaggerated on the 40 stories remark (as most skyscrapers apparently use longer lasting caulk so its a rare for them to be restored (for now))

I know some construction companies use drones to scout but thats it, the heavy work is still done by a person

More realistically we will invent tools that make the work easier instead of full blown automation

This post was edited by Tuna_BeIIy on Jun 16 2017 07:59pm
Jun 16 2017 08:01pm
On a somewhat related note, someone should invent a telescopic scaffold
Jun 16 2017 08:02pm
Quote (Tuna_BeIIy @ Jun 16 2017 07:58pm)
Removing the old caulking from buildings and adding new. I exaggerated on the 40 stories remark (as most skyscrapers apparently use longer lasting caulk so its a rare for them to be restored (for now))

I know some construction companies use drones to scout but thats it, the heavy work is still done by a person

More realistically we will invent tools that make the work easier instead of full blown automation

oh yeah you're safe for quite a while. road construction is automating quickly in some sectors but home/building repair is still really really far off right now.

common shingle replacement guys should look out, that shit will be automated soon. but doing precision variable work like removing/replacing caulk will be quite a while!
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev191011121319Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll