d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > We Need To Be Smart About Our Firearms > Simply Owning A Gun Is Not Enough
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 18,534.02
Oct 11 2017 12:56pm
Quote (PKSubban @ Oct 11 2017 01:21pm)
report for excessive flaming and personal attack

:rofl:

If you don't want to be compared to Sauceman, don't sound like him.....

Quote (PKSubban @ Oct 11 2017 01:26pm)
Don't get me wrong, i love Americans, and only a minority is stupid. Some wise Americans voted Trump or cancelled there vote because they couldn't stand voting for Clinton, i can understand this.

Don't pull a 180 on your ramblings. If you're going to go all in, you can't back down.

:rofl:
Gold: 285.00
Oct 11 2017 01:38pm
Quote (Magicman657 @ Oct 11 2017 11:19am)
Can you blame them for this assessment though? Why spend tens of thousands of dollars on higher education, only to end up working at Starbucks with a fucking master's degree? Maybe if we make education a more reasonable, attractive option, they might be more inclined to choose this path.

You get what you put in with education. A piece of paper gets an interview...you have to learn how to do things while you're there.
Gold: 57.00
Oct 11 2017 01:55pm
Quote (Skinned @ 11 Oct 2017 15:38)
You get what you put in with education. A piece of paper gets an interview...you have to learn how to do things while you're there.

tell that to the hordes protesting for student loan forgiveness. say i took a loan out for my tertiary education, completed my education, and paid it back - do i get that money i paid plus interest back too? maybe just the interest? or is it nah fuck you, you're good to go you rich racist reich-wing whitey :lol:
Gold: 745.69
Oct 11 2017 02:59pm
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 11 2017 03:38pm)

Quote (excellence @ Oct 11 2017 03:55pm)
tell that to the hordes protesting for student loan forgiveness. say i took a loan out for my tertiary education, completed my education, and paid it back - do i get that money i paid plus interest back too? maybe just the interest? or is it nah fuck you, you're good to go you rich racist reich-wing whitey :lol:

I'm quoting both of you in this because there are some parts of this rant that are applicable to each, and because I'm pretty sure you both have a near polar opposite idea of how we need to address this shit.

Here's my perspective on this: You cannot reasonably expect someone to accept tens of thousands of dollars of debt just to get the education that lets them MAYBE get an interview for a job, IF they can find an entry level opening somewhere. No shit the average person is going to look at that and have some serious doubts about their ability to improve their lot in life by choosing the college path, and every year the cost / reward ratio continues to become increasingly more unattractive. It's clear that we need to do something to better incentivize these high school graduates to pursue higher education (especially STEM fields), because our future technological advances and opportunities for growth as a society depend on us having engineers, scientists, programmers, architects, you name it. It would also be of great benefit to us as a nation if our voting populace was better educated and could more easily grasp the important nuances on the issues. The cost of private education is fucking insane and it's not something we can just do without as a society, so something has to change.

On the other hand, it's also clear that there is an unhealthy culture of ideological insulation running amok American universities which manifests itself in many different, dangerous ways, and it's perfectly understandable why people would be reluctant to allow these institutions to teach these kids on the public's dime. When you see things like Mizzou and Berkley not only allowing people to stifle speech they don't like but outright condoning that behavior, the ridiculously biased campus court systems that effectively treat students as guilty until proven innocent, or radically ideological professors trying to insert political agendas into their classrooms, can you really blame people for being hesitant to further support these campuses? Obviously not every college is at fault for these things, but it'd be pretty fucking dishonest to pretend that there is nothing worth worrying about when it comes to the institutions that shape these kid's knowledge base and belief systems.

This shouldn't be some hyper partisan shit slinging fest over whether higher education and/or funding it publically is good or bad, because every day we spend bitching instead of actually DOING something to fix ALL these issues is going to further fuck over the current generation of students and the future of our country as a whole.
Gold: 200.83
Oct 11 2017 04:19pm
stick on topic, you don't need a 4 year degree to know proper gun use
Oct 11 2017 04:23pm
Quote (Magicman657 @ 11 Oct 2017 16:59)
Here's my perspective on this: You cannot reasonably expect someone to accept tens of thousands of dollars of debt just to get the education that lets them MAYBE get an interview for a job

Skinned served our country and that paid for his education. mine was funded mine through a combination of non-debt means (working was one of these, scholarships were another)

novel concepts

Quote (majorblood @ 11 Oct 2017 18:19)

NRA provides it for free, or at a very small cost no? But they're a horrid terrorist organization /s
Gold: 745.69
Oct 11 2017 04:30pm
Quote (majorblood @ Oct 11 2017 06:19pm)

Yeah, I know that was a slight tangent; let's bring this shit back on topic. It really ties back though to this attitude of "fuck education, I already know best anyway" which I'm sure is a large contributing factor against requiring basic gun safety courses for owning a weapon. I personally think that it's absolutely reasonable that if someone is going to own a weapon that can severely injure / kill a person, they should be required to demonstrate they know how to use it properly, but let's be honest, a lot of the "fuck the government, yay guns" people don't see the value in that. Pic related.

This post was edited by Magicman657 on Oct 11 2017 04:31pm
Gold: 10,655.00
Oct 11 2017 04:36pm

Hell, people don't even believe in educating themselves about driving an automobile.
Gold: 752.10
Oct 11 2017 06:11pm
Quote (Skinned @ Oct 11 2017 01:38pm)

I know several people who went through engineering because they thought it was an easy path for an upper class life. Their mentality was just get the degree (which they thought would be the hardest part) and a job will land in your lap. They squeeked through school and are blaming everything but themselves for not being able to find an engineering job. At first I felt sorry, not so much anymore.

This post was edited by nobrow on Oct 11 2017 06:18pm
Oct 11 2017 06:32pm
Quote (nobrow @ 11 Oct 2017 20:11)
I know several people who went through engineering because they thought it was an easy path for an upper class life. Their mentality was just get the degree (which they thought would be the hardest part) and a job will land in your lap. They squeeked through school and are blaming everything but themselves for not being able to find an engineering job. At first I felt sorry, not so much anymore.

it's quite similar with law, finance, and some other fields of study. chasing to the money so to speak.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll