d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > A Different Abortion Thread
Prev13456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Warn: 60%
Oct 4 2017 06:36pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Oct 4 2017 08:33pm)
what people will do and what they should do isn't really the same thing. people in desperate situations will rob, kill, etc. that doesn't make them morally allowed to do this.

the nuanced reality is that some people still believe in the power of their own blood above all else. with the resources to give an adopted child everything they still feel they need one they made. so much so that they've failed 9 times. 9 times. and are still trying. how many will be too many? not from a legal perspective, but from a point that the average person can admit it's not cool?

The more they try and fail the sadder I feel for them, not for some lives that didn't exist. I don't know why you'd even make it about the embryo's that are being lost when the actual human being that has a mind rights and feelings is probably on an emotional roller coaster of hope and pain while trying to get a pregnancy to stick.

It's on a similar tier to getting upset about people wasting sperm by masturbating, "how many dead sperm is too many?"
Gold: 9.87
Oct 4 2017 06:36pm
Intent.
Gold: 1,253.69
Oct 4 2017 06:37pm
well I think that every child should have a chance at life...

but then again I do think women should have a say...
Gold: 2,489.69
Oct 4 2017 06:39pm
Quote (DCSS @ Oct 4 2017 06:36pm)
The more they try and fail the sadder I feel for them, not for some lives that didn't exist. I don't know why you'd even make it about the embryo's that are being lost when the actual human being that has a mind rights and feelings is probably on an emotional roller coaster of hope and pain while trying to get a pregnancy to stick.

It's on a similar tier to getting upset about people wasting sperm by masturbating, "how many dead sperm is too many?"

the core of the pro life argument is that an embryo = a life. so there's that.

i mean i agree with you, i tend to think more about the terrible toll that would take on someone. just as i think about the toll it takes on a raped woman to give birth. i personally believe a life starts after birth, or in reality somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd trimester when cognizance is there. the issue is that's not objective, its different whether a minute or a month with every child. but overall i'm pro choice for 1st trimester pregnancies only without some other health related factor.

Quote (timmayX @ Oct 4 2017 06:36pm)
Intent.

negligence can take the place of intent in many moral and legal situations

This post was edited by thesnipa on Oct 4 2017 06:40pm
Oct 4 2017 06:41pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Oct 4 2017 08:39pm)

i mean i agree with you, i tend to think more about the terrible toll that would take on someone. just as i think about the toll it takes on a raped woman to give birth. i personally believe a life starts after birth, or in reality somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd trimester when cognizance is there. the issue is that's not objective, its different whether a minute or a month with every child. but overall i'm pro choice for 1st trimester pregnancies only without some other health related factor.

the most objective way I can look at it is, if it were delivered at this moment, would it survive? If yes then it has a life of its own and abortion shouldn't be permitted at that point.
Oct 4 2017 06:42pm
Quote (DCSS @ Oct 4 2017 06:41pm)
the most objective way I can look at it is, if it were delivered at this moment, would it survive? If yes then it has a life of its own and abortion shouldn't be permitted at that point.

well survival of premies is pretty unknown until a few weeks or months go by. that is hard if not impossible to even say in womb. i agree with your general sentiment, although i wouldn't measure survival i'd measure awareness.
Gold: 9.87
Oct 4 2017 06:43pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Oct 4 2017 07:39pm)

negligence can take the place of intent in many moral and legal situations

He asked if it made the woman a murderer. Murder is an intentional action to maliciously bring about the end of another's life.

If you negligently hit someone with your car, you are guilty of a negligent vehicular homicide, but that's not equivalent to murder.

/e: I'm not saying that I would call the woman who got an abortion a murderer though. I was merely responding to OP's inane question.

This post was edited by timmayX on Oct 4 2017 06:48pm
Oct 4 2017 06:45pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Oct 4 2017 08:42pm)
well survival of premies is pretty unknown until a few weeks or months go by. that is hard if not impossible to even say in womb. i agree with your general sentiment, although i wouldn't measure survival i'd measure awareness.

How do you measure the awareness of an embryo/fetus?

This post was edited by DCSS on Oct 4 2017 06:45pm
Gold: 20.31
Oct 4 2017 06:48pm
Quote (IceMage @ Oct 4 2017 03:04pm)
Why do you feel that way?

You're asking why I have a personal opposition to abortion? I find it a very unfortunate occurrence for all involved, and think that if we corrected some of the more problematic aspects of what we do on this and related issues (Republican TRAP laws and their other anti-abortion measures, expanding Medicaid and family assistance programs) that many would be unnecessary.
Oct 4 2017 06:48pm
Quote (timmayX @ Oct 4 2017 06:43pm)
He asked if it made the woman a murderer. Murder is an intentional action.

If you negligently hit someone with your car, you are guilty of a negligent vehicular homicide, but that's not equivalent to murder.

i could bore you with many semantics arguments about the definition of murder, how it changes regionally, etc. but that's pretty pointless.

the OP phrased her question awfully, the lack of nuanced conversation afterwards is mostly her fault but the topic could have had potential given the topical story i posted. i just got hung up on murder, which i read as a label for effect by the OP. she just aimed too high.

it's an interesting conversation, if someone has dire fertility issues how long should they be allowed to fertilize and subsequently kill embryos? what if each pregnancy makes it to the 3rd trimester?

Quote (DCSS @ Oct 4 2017 06:45pm)
How do you measure the awareness of an embryo/fetus?

currently we cant

This post was edited by thesnipa on Oct 4 2017 06:49pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev13456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll