d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Why Are Republicans Against Higher Education?
Prev123413Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,407.00
Sep 15 2017 07:39am
Quote (DCSS @ Sep 15 2017 08:33am)
so do you think the average person who gets an arts degree never make that back? Harsh.

Probably not through art, no.

Quote (Knaapie @ Sep 15 2017 08:34am)
Even after the edit we still disagree ;) That's alright though.

I do see social studies and art as greatly benefiting a country. Especially on the long run... Progress in science is not visible by looking at economic gains on the short run.

Yeah that's why I said it's hard to quantify because of the long-term cultural benefit of arts and social sciences. But there does seem to be a surplus of art majors.

Quote (DCSS @ Sep 15 2017 08:34am)
Should we also discourage or disallow people to move out of the country after getting an education paid for by the government? Seems like the same reason to not fund art degrees.

That's an interesting question. But I think that's more of a symptom of other problems in the country. Instead of asking "Should we make them stay" we should be asking "Why do they want to leave?" Sometimes it just happens, like falling in love with someone form another country and moving there. But if lots of well educated people are moving because other countries have better ways of life for them, we are probably doing something wrong. So no, I don't think we should discourage people to leave, because it's inevitable, but rather we should encourage them to stay.

This post was edited by Mastersam93 on Sep 15 2017 07:41am
Gold: 200.83
Sep 15 2017 07:40am
not everyone should invest in college, the richest people to ever live in the USA (adjusted for inflation) never went to college. A college degree is essential to some jobs such as a doctor. I think too many people go to college because they see it as the right thing to do and end up getting degrees in useless liberal art majors or dropping out and wasting their time and money in the process. I think your average 100 IQ person would be better off getting a job, an internship, or getting into a trade. College degrees mean less and less now(I'm talking strictly non-stem), they are far more common than 50 years ago and less impressive due to this. You can't have a society filled with doctors, engineers, physicists and mathematicians because those are very demanding, expensive, and IQ-intensive fields.

in modern times you don't need a college degree to be educated, you have access to any information you need on the internet. college/universities are for diplomas, lab experience, connections, and very specialized fields.

This post was edited by majorblood on Sep 15 2017 07:41am
Gold: 11,571.00
Sep 15 2017 07:42am
You claim to value education but are painfully ignorant of valid concerns by conservatives that might lead them to think a certain way. As someone that has spent many years at universities it's painfully obvious how skewed left they are at least in my state.

Conservative ideals such as Christianity, traditional family, etc are laughed & scoffed at most universities but you're not discerning enough to understand why these same conservatives would have a negative disposition?

Gold: Locked
Warn: 60%
Sep 15 2017 07:43am
Quote (ofthevoid @ Sep 15 2017 09:42am)
You claim to value education but are painfully ignorant of valid concerns by conservatives that might lead them to think a certain way. As someone that has spent many years at universities it's painfully obvious how skewed left they are at least in my state.

Conservative ideals such as Christianity, traditional family, etc are laughed & scoffed at most universities but you're not discerning enough to understand why these same conservatives would have a negative disposition?

both of those things are insignificant compared to education
Sep 15 2017 07:44am
Quote (majorblood @ Sep 15 2017 08:40am)
not everyone should invest in college, the richest people to ever live in the USA (adjusted for inflation) never went to college. A college degree is essential to some jobs such as a doctor. I think too many people go to college because they see it as the right thing to do and end up getting degrees in useless liberal art majors or dropping out and wasting their time and money in the process. I think your average 100 IQ person would be better off getting a job, an internship, or getting into a trade. College degrees mean less and less now(I'm talking strictly non-stem), they are far more common than 50 years ago and less impressive due to this. You can't have a society filled with doctors, engineers, physicists and mathematicians because those are very demanding, expensive, and IQ-intensive fields.

Guys like Bill Gates are outliers. And we could have more engineers if we worked towards improving grade school education, especially in poor cities. Living in Baltimore city, and hearing what people who have worked in the schools say, trust me, the kids aren't learning much. And ridiculous class sizes, poor equipment, etc, isn't helping.

/e

Quote (ofthevoid @ Sep 15 2017 08:42am)

So what is your concern? That college will turn you liberal? Or that you can't handle other students disagreeing with you?

This post was edited by Mastersam93 on Sep 15 2017 07:45am
Gold: 500.00
Sep 15 2017 07:44am
Quote (ofthevoid @ Sep 15 2017 08:42am)

i don't recall any of those becoming a subject of discussion in my engineering courses

were you taking religion or family studies courses?
Gold: 200.83
Sep 15 2017 07:46am
Quote (Mastersam93 @ Sep 15 2017 05:44am)
Guys like Bill Gates are outliers. And we could have more engineers if we worked towards improving grade school education, especially in poor cities. Living in Baltimore city, and hearing what people who have worked in the schools say, trust me, the kids aren't learning much. And ridiculous class sizes, poor equipment, etc, isn't helping.

I'm not referring to bill gates when I say the richest people in America never went to college. You have very little understanding of IQ if you think just anyone can be a successful engineer or mathematician with education.
Gold: Locked
Warn: 60%
Sep 15 2017 07:47am
Quote (majorblood @ Sep 15 2017 09:46am)
I'm not referring to bill gates when I say the richest people in America never went to college. You have very little understanding of IQ if you think just anyone can be a successful engineer or mathematician with education.

well they probably spent that time of their life learning and getting useful experience rather than wasting it in college

This post was edited by DCSS on Sep 15 2017 07:48am
Gold: 18,534.02
Sep 15 2017 07:48am
oh boy..... this thread again. :wallbash:
Fucking Republicans, always trying to take away education or some shit like that.

Government Subsidies for all who wish to go to College!
Sep 15 2017 07:48am
Quote (majorblood @ Sep 15 2017 08:46am)

I'm not saying anyone can. I'm saying we can have more than we do now and I'm questions why republicans seem to not want that to happen.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123413Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll