d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Why Are Republicans Against Higher Education?
Prev1234513Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 6,351.00
Sep 15 2017 07:49am
Quote (DCSS @ Sep 15 2017 06:43am)
both of those things are insignificant compared to education

Wrong. To some people like me those things are very important. Being in a setting that's constantly berating your ideals is not the most comfortable thing.

Quote (duffman316 @ Sep 15 2017 06:44am)
i don't recall any of those becoming a subject of discussion in my engineering courses

were you taking religion or family studies courses?

Sociology, Criminal Justice, Economics, Poli Sci, Philosophy, essentially any humanities courses i'v taken had a subliminally left bias. Even in my calculus class i recall the professor and Bernie bro openly attacking Trump, mid class.

Quote (Mastersam93 @ Sep 15 2017 06:44am)

So what is your concern? That college will turn you liberal? Or that you can't handle other students disagreeing with you?

My concern is that a college graduate like yourself is dumb enough to make some overarching claim without understanding the causes. Next time maybe try a little critical thinking? Maybe it's not about conservatives being against formal education? Maybe it's because those institutions try to put some ideals above others?

I'm on my second degree now, i'm more grounded in what i believe more than ever, but in many classes left-leaning ideas are presented as fact, while conservative ideals are punchlines.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Sep 15 2017 07:54am
Gold: 200.83
Sep 15 2017 07:49am
Quote (DCSS @ Sep 15 2017 05:47am)
well they probably spent that time learning rather than wasting it in college

college is extremely useful for some specific fields as I mentioned above but time and money can be spent better for the average person.
Gold: 2,407.00
Sep 15 2017 07:50am
Quote (majorblood @ Sep 15 2017 08:49am)
college is extremely useful for some specific fields as I mentioned above but time and money can be spent better for the average person.

Then I guess the questions is can we improve our average person? And can improvements and increased spending in childhood education help accomplish this?

This post was edited by Mastersam93 on Sep 15 2017 07:53am
Gold: Locked
Warn: 60%
Sep 15 2017 07:51am
Quote (majorblood @ Sep 15 2017 09:49am)

are we talking about the average or extraordinary? I agree college is better in general unless you're of the extraordinary.. we were talking about the latter at some point when using them as justification not to go to college.

This post was edited by DCSS on Sep 15 2017 07:53am
Sep 15 2017 07:53am
Quote (ofthevoid @ Sep 15 2017 09:49am)
Wrong. To some people like me those things are very important. Being in a setting that's constantly berating your ideals is not the most comfortable thing.

Sociology, Criminal Justice, Economics, Poli Sci, Philosophy, essentially any humanities courses i'v taken had a subliminally left bias. Even in my calculus class i recall the professor and Bernie bro openly attacking Trump, mid class.

'subliminal'

and i guess Trump is the embodiment of christianity and family values
Gold: 57.00
Sep 15 2017 07:55am
all republicans and conservatives are dumb hicks who dropped out in 8th grade who hate education. why won't they vote for enlightened liberals!?!?!?!!

one can acquire skills and knowledge that lead to gainful employment in a variety of fields, along with basic "life skills" (budgeting etc) these avenues are quite common on the cheap/for free and if one is lucky employers can often help subsidize these. sometimes it isn't necessary to go to a diploma printing factory paying high tuition rates for 4-5 years. There are a number of fields of study that do require extensive tertiary education (4-8+ years) that lead to gainful employment in jobs that are highly contributing to society, but not everyone can do those jobs as majorblood mentioned. nor does demand meet supply in many instances for that matter. some of these fields' demand are also cyclical with the economy

one issue with modern undergraduate programs is the requirement to take filler courses that are non-degree related which basically takes up 1.5-2 years of credits. why does an engineer, computer scientist, or finance major need to take high school level biology again?? taking these courses as electives or extra classes are fine but this cash-milking by programs is troublesome

This post was edited by excellence on Sep 15 2017 07:59am
Sep 15 2017 07:56am
Quote (Mastersam93 @ Sep 15 2017 05:50am)
They I guess the questions is can we improve our average person? And can improvements and increased spending in childhood education help accomplish this?

not to our knowledge, this has been tested time and time again and it sadly has very little effect on IQ.

long video but very related to the ideas I mention

This post was edited by majorblood on Sep 15 2017 07:56am
Gold: 2,407.00
Sep 15 2017 07:58am
Quote (majorblood @ Sep 15 2017 08:56am)
not to our knowledge, this has been tested time and time again and it sadly has very little effect on IQ.

What do you mean? IQ is normalized, it will always have an average of 100. It doesn't mean people aren't smarter. Or that it changes the way people with average IQ's approach education and they will become capable of succeeding in college. Can you please post a source so I understand what you mean.
Sep 15 2017 08:02am
Quote (excellence @ Sep 15 2017 09:55am)
all republicans and conservatives are dumb hicks who dropped out in 8th grade who hate education. why won't they vote for enlightened liberals!?!?!?!!

one can acquire skills and knowledge that lead to gainful employment in a variety of fields, along with basic "life skills" (budgeting etc) these avenues are quite common on the cheap/for free and if one is lucky employers can often help subsidize these. sometimes it isn't necessary to go to a diploma printing factory paying high tuition rates for 4-5 years. There are a number of fields of study that do require extensive tertiary education (4-8+ years) that lead to gainful employment in jobs that are highly contributing to society, but not everyone can do those jobs as majorblood mentioned. nor does demand meet supply in many instances for that matter. some of these fields' demand are also cyclical with the economy

one issue with modern undergraduate programs is the requirement to take filler courses that are non-degree related which basically takes up 1.5-2 years of credits. why does an engineer, computer scientist, or finance major need to take high school level biology again?? taking these courses as electives or extra classes are fine but this cash-milking by programs is troublesome

great post friend
Sep 15 2017 08:07am
Quote (Mastersam93 @ Sep 15 2017 05:58am)
What do you mean? IQ is normalized, it will always have an average of 100. It doesn't mean people aren't smarter. Or that it changes the way people with average IQ's approach education and they will become capable of succeeding in college. Can you please post a source so I understand what you mean.

I should clarify that extreme conditions lower iq such as malnutrition. In normal conditions improved education has very little if any effect on intelligence. IQ is also not the only determining factor but it greatly widens your ability, someone with 80 IQ simply cannot be a successful engineer no matter how much education you attempt to give them. Someone with 140 IQ could have no determination but completely capable of becoming an engineer if they apply themselves.

shorter video explaining it better than me
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1234513Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll