d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > The Case For Depraved Indifference > Teens Record Man Drowning
Prev123414Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 2,004.41
Jul 24 2017 04:36pm
Quote (Knaapie @ Jul 24 2017 04:30pm)
I don't think many ethical arguments are resolved with blaming one group more. It mostly seems to me like a combination of sociopaths and group pressure. Letting someone die when you can easily save them, should not be condoned ethically and, should be a part of the law, with at least mild penalties.

These kids couldn't save him anyway. The most they could do is call the police and he'd be dead before they show up.
Gold: 1,495.80
Jul 24 2017 04:36pm
Nobody should be required by law to do anything in this situation since they're not directly involved with the drowning
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 20%
Jul 24 2017 04:43pm
Quote (Knaapie @ 24 Jul 2017 23:17)
my own translation of Dutch law:

Penal Code, Article 450:

"He who witnesses an instantaneous life threat of another person and fails to provide assistance that he can afford to provide without reasonably risking himself or others, and death of the one in need follows, then punishment in the form of custody of no more than three months or fines of the second category can be applied. "

/e and it seems fine to me.. Even a bit mild ^^

german criminal code, section 323c:

Omission to effect an easy rescue

Whosoever does not render assistance during accidents or a common danger or emergency although it is necessary and can be expected of him under the circumstances, particularly if it is possible without substantial danger to himself and without violation of other important duties shall be liable to imprisonment not exceeding one year or a fine.

Quote (Goomshill @ 24 Jul 2017 23:21)
Only Vermont and Minnesota have laws with duty to render aid, many other states have laws with duty to contact law enforcement, but Florida has neither
Instead of addressing this as a criminal problem, how about addressing it as the cultural problem that it is?
These teens sat around and mocked a man as he died and their actions are not unthinkable nor uncommon in america, most specifically black america, in 2017.

what a surprise, a trump cultist trying to make this about race...

Gold: 1,002.00
Warn: 10%
Jul 24 2017 04:46pm
Quote (Sakuraba @ 24 Jul 2017 23:36)
These kids couldn't save him anyway. The most they could do is call the police and he'd be dead before they show up.

Calling 911 is assistance you can afford without risking yourself. It's part of the law I mentioned.

I'm not sure all of these guys couldn't swim though. This gray area is probably why the punishment is soft.
Gold: 2,004.41
Jul 24 2017 04:59pm
Quote (Knaapie @ Jul 24 2017 04:46pm)
Calling 911 is assistance you can afford without risking yourself. It's part of the law I mentioned.

I'm not sure all of these guys couldn't swim though. This gray area is probably why the punishment is soft.

They probably couldn't swim, even if they could, it's still a risk to try and grab a man who seemingly walked into a pond fully clothed after an argument. It's also Florida, there's always a chance the pond has alligators in it.

I think they were a bunch of sick bastards, but I also don't think someone should be compelled to take action in a situation they had no part of, even if it is just a phone call.
Gold: 1,002.00
Warn: 10%
Jul 24 2017 05:05pm
Funny story:

When Skiing in Austria and apres skiing hard. We had to walk down the last part of the piste. A complete bar closing, with everybody pissed drunk.

There was a man sleeping under a snow cannon. He could have died in the cold during the night. Ofc he wanted to be left alone and just sleep, but my friend I and picked him up and made him walk.
We made sure he got a taxi back to his hotel.

This all seemed normal to me. But it really impressed our just met American beer m8, he had found a new type of respect for Europeans.

I still don't completely understand why.

Quote (Goomshill @ 25 Jul 2017 00:06)
It is about race. The endemic cultural problems that lead to these incidents are rooted in race.

/e now I have to add he was white :/ Darn Gooms... Culture is not about race (dna).

This post was edited by Knaapie on Jul 24 2017 05:15pm
Gold: 22,189.49
Jul 24 2017 05:06pm
Quote (Knaapie @ Jul 24 2017 04:30pm)
I don't think many ethical arguments are resolved with blaming one group more. It mostly seems to me like a combination of sociopaths and group pressure. Letting someone die when you can easily save them, should not be condoned ethically and, should be a part of the law, with at least mild penalties.

When that group of blacks kidnapped and tortured the white mentally disabled guy and streamed themselves laughing about it, they had all the similar backgrounds on display here
Are we to pretend that these kids fit some psychological profile of being antisocial loners who tortured small kittens and suffered from severe sociopathy? Were they aberrant bad apples up until this point?
Without digging into it, I'd make the guess that until either case occurred, the baddies would be indistinguishable from most other black youth of similar upbringing.

Quote (fender @ Jul 24 2017 04:43pm)
what a surprise, a trump cultist trying to make this about race...

It is about race. The endemic cultural problems that lead to these incidents are rooted in race.
Gold: 285.00
Jul 24 2017 05:24pm
No law was broken, and I agree with it. They should have called someone, and it would have been the moral thing to do to call for help or helping...but I'm speaking from a position from privilege, because I'm a strong swimmer and I wouldn't be blamed by authorities for being a suspicious looking person at what could potentially be a crime scene.

There was something similar that happened, when a man in NYC fell into a subway track, and freaked out and panicked and people were reluctant to help him....because what if he panicked and pulled them in?

Calling people would have right, only so that his body didn't bloat too bad and he could have a decent funeral, or save the family the anguish of having one of their own be a missing person.

Quote (Goomshill @ Jul 24 2017 06:06pm)

Nope. There are shitty people of all races. If you haven't ran into them yet you're very lucky or haven't traveled much :)
Gold: 152.00
Jul 24 2017 05:36pm
I went with "A legal duty to provide aid in reasonable/safe cases".

But "A legal duty to provide aid in all cases" is a close second (unless it means literally all cases then no, that would be obviously unreasonable, like if the rescuer can't swim or something and needs to swim to rescue the person).

I'd definitely support a manslaughter charge for the people in the video.

This post was edited by Voyaging on Jul 24 2017 05:39pm
Gold: 200.83
Jul 24 2017 05:39pm
No legal duty to do anything, but would be unethical
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123414Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll