d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > A/v Receiver For 5.1 Speaker Setup > Why Do You Even Need One If...?
Prev18910111213Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 87.00
May 10 2017 10:37pm
Quote (noob_whacker @ 11 May 2017 00:19)
Should i go with 10 or 12 inch dayton subwoofer!!!?? Thanks!

I dont need it to be super loud, because i have roomates that are close to me and my room is not that large.

I am about to order the bundle package for the dayton speakers that were suggested! but i know the bundle comes with 2 of the cheaper speakers for the rears, which i think is fine. but the bundle does make it much cheaper than buying each separate. i think i save around $15 if i get the 10inch sub bundle. and i actually would spend $1 more if i buy the 12 inch sub bundle, instead of buying each part separate.

12 inch bundle is : https://www.parts-express.com/b652-air-51-home-theater-surround-sound-speaker-system-with-12-subwoofer--300-697

10 inch bundle is : https://www.parts-express.com/b652-air-51-home-theater-surround-sound-speaker-system-with-10-subwoofer--300-691

Getting the 12" will get you lower and also giving more headroom. They have volume control for reason, so there is no reason to skip the 12" to save little now.
May 10 2017 10:44pm
Quote (noob_whacker @ 11 May 2017 01:35)
yea vittujenkevat was saying the same thing

but this cost me $99.... so i think its like half the price of anything else that i could buy thats new?

Those Yamaha/Denon/Matantz refurb I linked are like new, they cost little more but imo are worth it. The Sony will mostlikely get the work done as well tho but might die sooner and slightly fall behind on feutures. I dont know why are you so scared of refurbs.
Gold: 8,221.76
May 10 2017 11:41pm
Quote (vittujenkevat @ May 11 2017 12:37am)
Getting the 12" will get you lower and also giving more headroom. They have volume control for reason, so there is no reason to skip the 12" to save little now.

Ok thanks! I placed the order for the speaker bundle with the 12 inch sub. it cost around $25 more than the other bundle. I also ordered 100 ft of 18 AWG speaker wire, just in case i need extra. i think the speakers come with their own wires, but im not sure how long they are. also i read that the subwoofer does not come with speaker wire.

I would assume that at this distance and wattage, the 18 AWG wire is fine? the subwoofer is 120 Watt.

Quote (vittujenkevat @ May 11 2017 12:44am)
Those Yamaha/Denon/Matantz refurb I linked are like new, they cost little more but imo are worth it. The Sony will mostlikely get the work done as well tho but might die sooner and slightly fall behind on feutures. I dont know why are you so scared of refurbs.

I do thank you for all of the input. I like to hear what others suggest and then ill pick and choose things here and there. but from what i understand, the speakers i bought, the dayton bundle, are not super high end speakers. Ive read they are very low end budget speakers that can sound good for the price.
So i don't think i need that great of a receiver to power them? also i really really hate the idea of spending a couple hundred bucks on a stupid receiver lol. im not sure why, but they just seem overpriced. like my speaker bundle cost around $230. thats 5 speakers, and 1 subwoofer... I cannot bring myself to spend nearly $200 on just a receiver. maybe if i was spending more on higher end speakers. even you said the electronics (as in receiver i believe) is only like 5% of the quality for sound.

I don't even know what half of the various features are for sound systems, so im not sure what i am missing out on. but i know i dont want bluetooth. i would prefer to have everything wired and send through physical wires. i dont really like bluetooth for anything as there is signal degradation and i dont mind using wires.

The only features i want are to be able to play the sound for movies, tv shows, and maybe some music. I also would like to have some sort of EQ available but if not thats fine. I also made sure this sony is a 5.2 receiver, so i can get a 2nd subwoofer later on if i want to! which i think is amazing to have a 5.2 receiver for just $99. the 2nd subwoofer option seems to be only available in more expensive receivers. although the denon you suggested was a 5.2 and cost around $80 more. but thats almost double the price.

As far as being against refurbs, well i dont like to buy used items that cost alot. i feel like i might as well just buy the item new.

I have seen alot of people say their receivers just take a shit and die, or some functions stop working, or that their receiver sometimes works and sometimes doesnt. like ive never really heard this many complaints about a specific electronic component other than maybe some desktop parts. i feel like a receiver shouldnt have so many issues as far as having a short lifespan?
Gold: 10,655.00
May 11 2017 12:06am

Should've gotten 10 or 12 gauge wire.
May 11 2017 01:00am
Quote (noob_whacker @ 11 May 2017 07:41)
Ok thanks! I placed the order for the speaker bundle with the 12 inch sub. it cost around $25 more than the other bundle. I also ordered 100 ft of 18 AWG speaker wire, just in case i need extra. i think the speakers come with their own wires, but im not sure how long they are. also i read that the subwoofer does not come with speaker wire.

I would assume that at this distance and wattage, the 18 AWG wire is fine? the subwoofer is 120 Watt.

I do thank you for all of the input. I like to hear what others suggest and then ill pick and choose things here and there. but from what i understand, the speakers i bought, the dayton bundle, are not super high end speakers. Ive read they are very low end budget speakers that can sound good for the price.
So i don't think i need that great of a receiver to power them? also i really really hate the idea of spending a couple hundred bucks on a stupid receiver lol. im not sure why, but they just seem overpriced. like my speaker bundle cost around $230. thats 5 speakers, and 1 subwoofer... I cannot bring myself to spend nearly $200 on just a receiver. maybe if i was spending more on higher end speakers. even you said the electronics (as in receiver i believe) is only like 5% of the quality for sound.

I don't even know what half of the various features are for sound systems, so im not sure what i am missing out on. but i know i dont want bluetooth. i would prefer to have everything wired and send through physical wires. i dont really like bluetooth for anything as there is signal degradation and i dont mind using wires.

The only features i want are to be able to play the sound for movies, tv shows, and maybe some music. I also would like to have some sort of EQ available but if not thats fine. I also made sure this sony is a 5.2 receiver, so i can get a 2nd subwoofer later on if i want to! which i think is amazing to have a 5.2 receiver for just $99. the 2nd subwoofer option seems to be only available in more expensive receivers. although the denon you suggested was a 5.2 and cost around $80 more. but thats almost double the price.

As far as being against refurbs, well i dont like to buy used items that cost alot. i feel like i might as well just buy the item new.

I have seen alot of people say their receivers just take a shit and die, or some functions stop working, or that their receiver sometimes works and sometimes doesnt.like ive never really heard this many complaints about a specific electronic component other than maybe some desktop parts. i feel like a receiver shouldnt have so many issues as far as having a short lifespan?

Should of gone for 12 or 14 awg wire as you might have problems with 18 awg if you have long runs. For subwoofer you want to use rca cable like this : https://www.parts-express.com/audtek-electronics-sc25-single-rca-audio-video-cable-25-ft--181-405

Receivers today are basically computers that have amplifiers integrated and there can be issues with the software as well and more often today the issues are in software side than hardware.

Quote (Ghot @ 11 May 2017 08:06)

10 awg is overkill and is also more diffucult to setup with todays receivers, at least with most of them.

This post was edited by vittujenkevat on May 11 2017 01:00am
May 11 2017 01:21am
Quote (Ghot @ May 11 2017 02:06am)

sounds a bit like overkill for my speakers lol

Quote (vittujenkevat @ May 11 2017 03:00am)
Should of gone for 12 or 14 awg wire as you might have problems with 18 awg if you have long runs. For subwoofer you want to use rca cable like this : https://www.parts-express.com/audtek-electronics-sc25-single-rca-audio-video-cable-25-ft--181-405

Receivers today are basically computers that have amplifiers integrated and there can be issues with the software as well and more often today the issues are in software side than hardware.

10 awg is overkill and is also more diffucult to setup with todays receivers, at least with most of them.

oh shit ops. well i got the speaker wire cause it was super cheap. i will really only be running the speakers at most like 25 to 30 feet. the speakers will be like 15 feet away from the receiver, but because i plan to run the wires along the walls that will make it around 25 to 30 ft. do you think that 18 AWG would be fine for this then?

my car subwoofer uses regular speaker wire so i assumed this one would as well... lol damn. so the subwoofer only needs a single RCA cable? also if so, i would assume i can find some pretty cheap RCA cable from monoprice.com
or is there a reason to get that rca specifically?

i can get these with faster shipping and free shipping, and they cost less

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019D048XC/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_b2VRq_c_x_1_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=28Y5CGB1JTMP64V76MGA&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=cb75ae75-a5e0-5ee5-b55e-05231d247881&pf_rd_i=597546

https://www.amazon.com/Quality-Composite-Plated-Connectors-CNE499265/dp/B0193054D0/ref=sr_1_16?s=aht&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1494492343&sr=1-16&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_four_browse-bin%3A7800973011%2Cp_85%3A2470955011

This post was edited by noob_whacker on May 11 2017 01:47am
Gold: 10,655.00
May 11 2017 01:28am

For 25-30 ft. of wire, 12 or 14 gauge...minimum.
You can fit more notes in a thicker wire. :D
May 11 2017 01:35am
Quote (Ghot @ May 11 2017 03:28am)
For 25-30 ft. of wire, 12 or 14 gauge...minimum.
You can fit more notes in a thicker wire. :D

but the 6.5 inch speakers for the front will be like 5 ft from the receiver, and the speakers come with 9.5 ft 20 gauge wire lol. these run at 40 watt RMS, with a peak of 75 watts

but the center speaker is 60 watt RMS and a peak of 120 watts. this will also be within 5 feet away from the receiver.

the 2 rear speakers are 30 watt RMS and a peak of 60 watt. these will be the furthest away and probably need the 25 to 30 feet of speaker wire length.

im pretty sure these all can be run using just 18 gauge wire. although 16 gauge wire i would think should definitely be enough.

from my car audio knowledge, the length of the wire being run and the RMS of the speaker is what matters.
May 11 2017 01:49am
I also have a question about the RCA cable for the subwoofer...
So i remember reading awhile ago, that RCA cables are not good to run at longer lengths? like 15 to 25 feet is the longest you want to run an RCA cable?

I am wondering is a 50 ft RCA cable would be a bad idea? i can get one for around $11 from amazon that is 50 ft.

i would only need one that long just in case i want to put the subwoofer in a further corner, and so i can run the cable along the wall or ceiling so its not on the floor to trip over...
May 11 2017 02:38am
Quote (noob_whacker @ 11 May 2017 09:35)
but the 6.5 inch speakers for the front will be like 5 ft from the receiver, and the speakers come with 9.5 ft 20 gauge wire lol. these run at 40 watt RMS, with a peak of 75 watts

but the center speaker is 60 watt RMS and a peak of 120 watts. this will also be within 5 feet away from the receiver.

the 2 rear speakers are 30 watt RMS and a peak of 60 watt. these will be the furthest away and probably need the 25 to 30 feet of speaker wire length.

im pretty sure these all can be run using just 18 gauge wire. although 16 gauge wire i would think should definitely be enough.

from my car audio knowledge, the length of the wire being run and the RMS of the speaker is what matters.

What matters is resistance of wire and with 18 awg wire resistance will start to effect if your runs are over 20 feet, might be lower depending on power. Thats why I would suggest using 12 or 14 awg.

As for rca for sub you should look for shielded cable, monoprice has them as well. Well shielded rca can work for 50 foot, but I would stay with 30 foot.

edit: for example: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2683

This post was edited by vittujenkevat on May 11 2017 02:39am
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Prev18910111213Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll