d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > A/v Receiver For 5.1 Speaker Setup > Why Do You Even Need One If...?
Prev167891013Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 84.10
Apr 29 2017 02:07am
Lol pretty much what i said but worded all elitist like an audiophile

Ask vitt how his conclusion came up with all klipsch has brighter sound
And all lower end Polk isn't the greatest for their money
others subjective opinions lol
Elitist audiophile shit -- you must pay for better sound

And now you must match center speaker with front
This is a first though from an audiophile
There are many enthusiast or self proclaimed audiophiles with non matching centers

This post was edited by yupitsmeh on Apr 29 2017 02:20am
Gold: 8,221.76
Apr 29 2017 02:58am
Quote (yupitsmeh @ Apr 28 2017 09:38pm)
Speakers have their own sound signatures and they vary to different room configurations
Towers in general should be greater with broader range
But there are many book shelves that can compete with many towers
Personal preference in sound signature also applies

Receivers have many preset eq settings some allow more tweaking then just treble mid and bass
Many have audyssey ypao etc to help set up the surround sound
Sometimes it needs tweaking after the fact
You usually can download owners manual and see what you ate getting into before you buy which i suggest you do to know what you are getting into

ok thanks. ill check for some manuals before i do purchase one. some of the features i probably wont know what they mean though. like i dont know what audyssey ypao is?

Quote (vittujenkevat @ Apr 29 2017 02:27am)
I would say AA Monitors with Dayton sub 1200 would be better overall sound for that budget as you compare 2.1 there. Like said before Klipsch tends to have really bright sound. Lower end Polk as well are not the greatest speakers for the money.

Towers generally have better dynamic range and actually often require less power than bookself speakers as they are more sensitive. How ever if you have sub you dont really need to worry about the dynamic range if your bookselfs can go deep enough for crossover. Im some cases (depends on your room) tower speakers can help to even bass response in higher bass area.

Receiver can adjust the speaker levels and delays so they will play at same level and time if the distances are not the same. Also some receivers have room correction wich tries to reduce room reflections. Most of them have some preset eq that will change the sound signature little. If you want to do proper eq you will need to buy separate eq for that purpose, how ever you would be better of buying speakers you dont need to eq in first place.

Edit: The preset eq is for overall sound, not for separate speakers.

The main reason i asked about the EQ is because you said earlier that the klipshc sound bright, and i also read some other people saying when listening to music the highs can be a bit unpleasant to listen to. so might as well use an EQ which is simple enough. i also like to use the eq at my desktop to adjust for different types of music i listen to. also when i am watching a movie or tv show that comes from different sources, sometimes the source is not great quality, so i use the EQ to adjust for that as well. its just a 10 band EQ but works fine for my purposes on my desktop.

and yea i know the klipsch i posted are a 2.1 setup, but if i got them, i would end up getting a pair of the daytons or something for the rear. but yea that would make things cost a bit more, but just was wondering if the towers were worth it. and ive heard everyone saying how great that klipsch subwoofer is. and i do like how the klipsch speakers are styled as far as looks lol. although looks should be the last thing to care about when getting speakers.

about the tower speaking being more sensitive than bookshelf, and the tower uses less power? i thought the tower uses more power because they have better range, and the lower frequencies will draw more power in the tower speaker because they are passive speakers? well at least i think tower speakers are usually passive? as far as i know only subwoofers are usually active powered?

Quote (yupitsmeh @ Apr 29 2017 04:07am)
Lol pretty much what i said but worded all elitist like an audiophile

Ask vitt how his conclusion came up with all klipsch has brighter sound
And all lower end Polk isn't the greatest for their money
others subjective opinions lol
Elitist audiophile shit -- you must pay for better sound

And now you must match center speaker with front
This is a first though from an audiophile
There are many enthusiast or self proclaimed audiophiles with non matching centers

im trying to stay out of the discussions between you both lol. but i actually do like that you both disagree in a way. i think it helps me to learn about it. cause then you guys may explain further why you said whatever the other disagrees about. and yeah while i have my own opinion about each side, im just happy to listen, and appreciate the help :)

This post was edited by noob_whacker on Apr 29 2017 03:00am
Gold: 84.10
Apr 29 2017 03:06am
Also
Many of these newer models have osd
On screen display for your settings
Which is way better than old days fucking sitting in front of it tweaking the hell out of it
Gold: 87.00
Apr 29 2017 05:02am
Quote (noob_whacker @ 29 Apr 2017 10:58)
ok thanks. ill check for some manuals before i do purchase one. some of the features i probably wont know what they mean though. like i dont know what audyssey ypao is?

The main reason i asked about the EQ is because you said earlier that the klipshc sound bright, and i also read some other people saying when listening to music the highs can be a bit unpleasant to listen to. so might as well use an EQ which is simple enough. i also like to use the eq at my desktop to adjust for different types of music i listen to. also when i am watching a movie or tv show that comes from different sources, sometimes the source is not great quality, so i use the EQ to adjust for that as well. its just a 10 band EQ but works fine for my purposes on my desktop.

and yea i know the klipsch i posted are a 2.1 setup, but if i got them, i would end up getting a pair of the daytons or something for the rear. but yea that would make things cost a bit more, but just was wondering if the towers were worth it. and ive heard everyone saying how great that klipsch subwoofer is. and i do like how the klipsch speakers are styled as far as looks lol. although looks should be the last thing to care about when getting speakers.

about the tower speaking being more sensitive than bookshelf, and the tower uses less power? i thought the tower uses more power because they have better range, and the lower frequencies will draw more power in the tower speaker because they are passive speakers? well at least i think tower speakers are usually passive? as far as i know only subwoofers are usually active powered?

im trying to stay out of the discussions between you both lol. but i actually do like that you both disagree in a way. i think it helps me to learn about it. cause then you guys may explain further why you said whatever the other disagrees about. and yeah while i have my own opinion about each side, im just happy to listen, and appreciate the help :)

Audyssey and Ypao are the room correction programs that can help with room reflections and it will also measure speaker distances and levels and match them automatically, you can change the settings after you have done the auto setup.

I have not used any eq myself so cant say how easy it would be to change the settings every time you use different content.

Bookshelf speakers have only one woofer generally and towers have usually 2 or more woofers, so the speaker cone area is doupled or even more thus less power is required to achieve same spl as you have more speaker cone area to move air. Towers also have bigger enclosure and can be tuned lower by the cabinet while bookself speakers have to rely on power to produce the wanted spl on lower end.
May 9 2017 02:42pm
ok so i just purchased a new ks8000 65 inch for a really good deal, but fk the TV needed a stand because my dresser is too small. So the stand cost an extra $100.

i do prefer the large sexy screen over the sound quality and stuff. So since i just spent alot on the TV, i am looking around for used AV receivers and speakers. Honestly, i would probably be okay with still buying new speakers and subwoofer. But i really dont want to spend over $100 on a stupid receiver lol. Ive found 2 receivers being sold nearby for cheap.

One is the Sony STR SE501 5.1 being sold for $40, but i know it was made before 2005, and maybe as old as 1998.... lol so thats a bit too old i would think?

The other is the yamaha rx v371 being sold for $90. But it comes with a sony subwoofer SA W2500 and 5 other small sony speakers for the 5.1 setup.

The 2nd option seems nice since i get a sub, receiver, and 5 speakers for under $100. but ive read the ramaha rx v371 receiver doe snot have the Ypao you guys were talking about. Do you guys think the 2nd deal is decent? Even without the 5 speakers i think its an okay deal? just the subwoofer and receiver for $90 seems pretty good?

Im still going to be looking around for local deals or places like the 3bay and such, but looking for a cheap deal with okay 5.1 setup. it doesnt have to be super loud cause my room is small anyways and i will be putting the speakers within like 10 feet away from me.
Gold: 92.71
Warn: 50%
May 9 2017 02:50pm
I would just wait
May 9 2017 11:22pm
Quote (noob_whacker @ 9 May 2017 22:42)
ok so i just purchased a new ks8000 65 inch for a really good deal, but fk the TV needed a stand because my dresser is too small. So the stand cost an extra $100.

i do prefer the large sexy screen over the sound quality and stuff. So since i just spent alot on the TV, i am looking around for used AV receivers and speakers. Honestly, i would probably be okay with still buying new speakers and subwoofer. But i really dont want to spend over $100 on a stupid receiver lol. Ive found 2 receivers being sold nearby for cheap.

One is the Sony STR SE501 5.1 being sold for $40, but i know it was made before 2005, and maybe as old as 1998.... lol so thats a bit too old i would think?

The other is the yamaha rx v371 being sold for $90. But it comes with a sony subwoofer SA W2500 and 5 other small sony speakers for the 5.1 setup.

The 2nd option seems nice since i get a sub, receiver, and 5 speakers for under $100. but ive read the ramaha rx v371 receiver doe snot have the Ypao you guys were talking about. Do you guys think the 2nd deal is decent? Even without the 5 speakers i think its an okay deal? just the subwoofer and receiver for $90 seems pretty good?

Im still going to be looking around for local deals or places like the 3bay and such, but looking for a cheap deal with okay 5.1 setup. it doesnt have to be super loud cause my room is small anyways and i will be putting the speakers within like 10 feet away from me.

Depends on your goals. If you just want to have sound system the Yamaha deal will do but if you are looking for something you can be happy for long time I would look for something better. I would not get Sony receiver personally and Sony satellite speakers arent that great either, Sony core series speakers how ever are decent. For used gear it is worth to take your time, as sometimes there are some great deals around.
May 10 2017 02:03am
Quote (vittujenkevat @ May 10 2017 01:22am)
Depends on your goals. If you just want to have sound system the Yamaha deal will do but if you are looking for something you can be happy for long time I would look for something better. I would not get Sony receiver personally and Sony satellite speakers arent that great either, Sony core series speakers how ever are decent. For used gear it is worth to take your time, as sometimes there are some great deals around.

the sony receiver i would not get, just because its so fking old. its at least 10 years old. but may be quite older...

i would really only want the yamaha receiver and the subwoofer. the tiny sony speakers i would probably replace. i am still considering the dayton speakers you suggested. they seem to get great reviews for their price.

i am probably going to pick this up tomorrow if the walmart near me still has it in stock.... Sony STR-DH550 5.2 Channel Home Theater Receiver

this is on sale for $99 brand new! i think thats a great deal for a 5.2 receiver right? i know you said dont get the other sony, not sure if you have something against sony, or if you agree that a super old receiver is not a good choice.

I dont really want to get the receiver you posted because its $180 and factory refurbished. I would almost prefer to get a used receiver than a refurbished one. i feel theres more risk in getting a refurbished item than a used item. im pretty sure that refurbished usually means it was returned because there was something faulty with it. and i would question how long the repairs may last for, as in the quality of the repairs.

ive heard this Sony STR-DH550 5.2 lists it as 4k, but is unable to play 4k. which is fine for me. i just want it because of the signal to my speakers.

But with this i have a question..... if i want to use the receiver to play a 5.1 sound system. but i also want to play 4k content from my desktop sent to my TV. Can i run an hdmi from my desktop to my TV, and then a cord from the TV to the receiver to play sound? And this way i can have 4k content on my TV?
because this receiver is unable to display 4k content.

This post was edited by noob_whacker on May 10 2017 02:06am
May 10 2017 02:32am
Quote (noob_whacker @ 10 May 2017 10:03)
the sony receiver i would not get, just because its so fking old. its at least 10 years old. but may be quite older...

i would really only want the yamaha receiver and the subwoofer. the tiny sony speakers i would probably replace. i am still considering the dayton speakers you suggested. they seem to get great reviews for their price.

i am probably going to pick this up tomorrow if the walmart near me still has it in stock.... Sony STR-DH550 5.2 Channel Home Theater Receiver

this is on sale for $99 brand new! i think thats a great deal for a 5.2 receiver right? i know you said dont get the other sony, not sure if you have something against sony, or if you agree that a super old receiver is not a good choice.

I dont really want to get the receiver you posted because its $180 and factory refurbished. I would almost prefer to get a used receiver than a refurbished one. i feel theres more risk in getting a refurbished item than a used item. im pretty sure that refurbished usually means it was returned because there was something faulty with it. and i would question how long the repairs may last for, as in the quality of the repairs.

ive heard this Sony STR-DH550 5.2 lists it as 4k, but is unable to play 4k. which is fine for me. i just want it because of the signal to my speakers.

But with this i have a question..... if i want to use the receiver to play a 5.1 sound system. but i also want to play 4k content from my desktop sent to my TV. Can i run an hdmi from my desktop to my TV, and then a cord from the TV to the receiver to play sound? And this way i can have 4k content on my TV?
because this receiver is unable to display 4k content.

Sony is not the best quality on receivers and that is why I would avoid it, other than that they should do the job.

There is nothing wrong with factory refurbished units as the job is done by manufacturer and they come with warranty. Some of them have not even been faulty as if some one has upgraded and gave the old unit in trade for discount. Even if there was a fault they have replaced parts needed and tested the units. I know quite many who have bought from accessories4less and have been happy for years with their receivers. There is no reason for manufacturers to cheap out in refurbished units as it would give a bad name for them.

And you should be able to connect your desktop to tv and get sound to receiver from there tho I would suggest to connect everything straigth to receiver.
May 10 2017 03:06am
Quote (vittujenkevat @ May 10 2017 04:32am)
Sony is not the best quality on receivers and that is why I would avoid it, other than that they should do the job.

There is nothing wrong with factory refurbished units as the job is done by manufacturer and they come with warranty. Some of them have not even been faulty as if some one has upgraded and gave the old unit in trade for discount. Even if there was a fault they have replaced parts needed and tested the units. I know quite many who have bought from accessories4less and have been happy for years with their receivers. There is no reason for manufacturers to cheap out in refurbished units as it would give a bad name for them.

And you should be able to connect your desktop to tv and get sound to receiver from there tho I would suggest to connect everything straigth to receiver.

ok thanks. why would you suggest i connect everything straight to receiver? cause one less electronic device to pass the sound through?

the only reason why i want to connect the desktop to TV and then TV to receiver is because ive heard that specific receiver is unable to display 4k content.
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Prev167891013Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll