d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > A/v Receiver For 5.1 Speaker Setup > Why Do You Even Need One If...?
Prev110111213Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 84.10
May 12 2017 08:45pm
Quote (noob_whacker @ May 12 2017 09:37pm)
oh yea lol i forgot that you plug speakers into something!

yea i dont think it should be difficult at all. luckily i do have a cheap pair of wire cutters and it had the wire stripper as a part of it. i used them for my car audio setup. although the amplifier was basically stripping the end of the wire and slide in the exposed wire, then screw in the little hex screws with the hex key. it looks like A/V receivers are similar, except the video i watched showed you put the wire into a hole in the middle of the screw and then just screw it back in place.

my bad yea i forgot about the receiver end lol. not sure why i only considered the speakers. thanks for the suggestion

But wouldnt the banana plugs only be useful if i plan on having to plug and unplug the connections often? if i only plan on plugging them in once to setup the system, then i dont think the banana plugs should be needed? or do they help with a better quality connection or something?

Just cleaner and wires don't continually fray
Gold: 92.71
Warn: 50%
May 12 2017 11:41pm
Quote (noob_whacker @ May 12 2017 10:37pm)

yea i dont think it should be difficult at all. luckily i do have a cheap pair of wire cutters and it had the wire stripper as a part of it. i used them for my car audio setup. although the amplifier was basically stripping the end of the wire and slide in the exposed wire, then screw in the little hex screws with the hex key. it looks like A/V receivers are similar, except the video i watched showed you put the wire into a hole in the middle of the screw and then just screw it back in place.
?

I just use dikes
Gold: 8,221.76
May 13 2017 12:14am
Quote (WhoBut_WBMason @ May 13 2017 01:41am)
I just use dikes

in this case, i guess whatever works lol. even can use a knife... but that would be annoying as shit to do lol
May 17 2017 01:00am
ok so i got that dayton speaker bundle and the 12 inch dayton subwoofer. it is only 120 watts. but holy shit it plays super low. i have positioned it around the room and flipped it on its side to allow more airflow to the port underneath it. it sounds good only if i stick my face within 2 feet from it. but otherwise it barely produces any bass. the reviews are great, but that doesnt make any sense...? is it possible i got a subwoofer that has some issue? like it does produce sound, but even just one of the other dayton speakers overpower it....
Gold: 10,655.00
May 17 2017 01:04am
It may be that there is a volume knob for the sub ...somewhere, that you haven't found yet.

/e I know it's not a great example, but on my Klipsch Pro Medias, the volume for the sub is on the right satellite.

This post was edited by Ghot on May 17 2017 01:06am
May 17 2017 01:40am
Quote (Ghot @ May 17 2017 03:04am)
It may be that there is a volume knob for the sub ...somewhere, that you haven't found yet.

/e I know it's not a great example, but on my Klipsch Pro Medias, the volume for the sub is on the right satellite.

i guess i forgot to mention i have the gain knob turned all the way up
Gold: 10,655.00
May 17 2017 05:21am

Back in the day I had a Sansui G6000 receiver/amp.
There were knobs on it that had two functions. Feront of the knob did one thing and the back of the knob, something else.

Also, there are devices which require amps and some that need preamps. There are amplified speakers and those w/o amps.

As you can tell, I have no idea about modern devices. I'm just throwing out things to check on.

Good luck. :)
Gold: 87.00
May 17 2017 06:34am
Quote (noob_whacker @ 17 May 2017 09:00)
ok so i got that dayton speaker bundle and the 12 inch dayton subwoofer. it is only 120 watts. but holy shit it plays super low. i have positioned it around the room and flipped it on its side to allow more airflow to the port underneath it. it sounds good only if i stick my face within 2 feet from it. but otherwise it barely produces any bass. the reviews are great, but that doesnt make any sense...? is it possible i got a subwoofer that has some issue? like it does produce sound, but even just one of the other dayton speakers overpower it....

Have you checked the level settings on your receiver?
Gold: 1,508.00
May 17 2017 11:34am
Check the knob on the sub obviously for a volume knob. Check the receiver bass settings and line level volumes. It could also be that your really budget set up won't be any better than that. The receiver you went with is only 90w a channel per Sony specs. There is a possibility that it is functioning correctly and that's what you'll end up with.
May 17 2017 12:18pm
Quote (DatNiggaWill @ May 17 2017 01:34pm)
Check the knob on the sub obviously for a volume knob. Check the receiver bass settings and line level volumes. It could also be that your really budget set up won't be any better than that. The receiver you went with is only 90w a channel per Sony specs. There is a possibility that it is functioning correctly and that's what you'll end up with.

the subwoofer is an active subwoofer. so i would assume its max volume is not dependent upon the receiver? because the subwoofer gets its own power/juice from itself. the receiver should just tell it when to play?

Quote (vittujenkevat @ May 17 2017 08:34am)
Have you checked the level settings on your receiver?

yea ive played around with the few options available on the receiver itself and the remote. but i think i just figured out that i have to plug the receiver into my TV with an hdmi cord to actually view the real settings to change things.... well i think thats weird but i guess its whatever since i payed $100 bucks for it, but still thats a bit sad lol. i only have the optical audio cable hooked up now because thats all i thought i would need... so ill just a 6 ft hdmi soon and check out the other settings.

the subwoofer does play, but i dont like that its not too responsive. like it doesnt play that often. only in extremely low bass scenes.

i was playing some test tones, and the subwoofer really only plays when its 40 to 60 hz. just within that 20 hz range. and i adjusted the crossover on the subwoofer to see how it changed it and thats the widest range i could get.

its frequency response is supposed to be : 25-140 Hz. i am aware certain boxes are tuned for specific frequencies, but this subwoofer as is, is not able to reproduce anything well out of the range of 40 to 60hz

This post was edited by noob_whacker on May 17 2017 12:36pm
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Prev110111213Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll