d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > The Fall Campaign > Wh, Senate, House Elections
Prev167891013Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 500.00
Nov 15 2016 05:50pm
Quote (Pollster @ Nov 15 2016 06:48pm)
To do a little results-related cleanup:

The best analysis of the W.H. race probably has to wait on precinct and county-level data to supplement the higher-quality modeling and polling used by the campaign(s) and party committees, but no need to wait on Senate and House races. In the House, two illegal GOP gerrymanders getting tossed in VA/FL led to one guaranteed Dem pickup (VA-4), a trade (GOP-held FL-10 for FL-2), and various seats gaining an edge one way or the other. The GOP gave themselves more of an edge in FL-18 and was able to pick it up, their only other gain outside of NE-2. Remapping forced them to make FL-7 and FL-13 more Democratic and as a result Democrats picked up both.

Dems also retook IL-10, NH-1, NJ-5, NV-3 and NV-4. And with votes left uncounted in California, Dems only trail by roughly 4k votes in CA-49.

In the Senate the Democrats easily retook IL and narrowly retook NH, and held both CO/NV. The Dems could never answer the flood of billionaire money that Republican donors were pouring into these battlegrounds over the last year, and huge last-minute injections especially helped the GOP hang on in PA/NC/WI. A couple of Democrats did put together some ridiculous overperformances in losing efforts, especially in MO (Jason Kander only lost 49%-46% in a state Trump carried 56%-37%) and and FL (Patrick Murphy only lost 51%-45% after being outspent 18:1 from September onward).

The new Senate composition as of right now is 51 Republicans, 48 Democrats+Independents, and 1 outstanding (LA). Republican Treasurer John Kennedy and Democratic Public Service Commissioner Foster Campbell advanced to the December 10th runoff to fill the 100th seat.

well at least you're alive and seem to be taking it well ^_^
Gold: 20.31
Nov 15 2016 06:11pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Nov 15 2016 04:50pm)
well at least you're alive and seem to be taking it well ^_^

Of course I'm alive, I'm just incredibly busy. The only time that's professionally busier for a campaign consultant than the days immediately preceding an election are the days that immediately follow one because there's final business to attend to with your current clients -- followed immediately by new clients who want to get the jump on their competitors by locking you into new business for the next cycle.

My primary consults are Colorado, Nevada, and my home state of Virginia. Not only did my clients have a lot of success this year but we ended up looking even better on account of how poorly the Midwest performed, so there's obviously a lot for me to take care of before I can hit pause for a couple of months and take a vacation.
Gold: 5,016.77
Nov 15 2016 06:33pm
Quote (Pollster @ Nov 15 2016 07:11pm)
Of course I'm alive, I'm just incredibly busy. The only time that's professionally busier for a campaign consultant than the days immediately preceding an election are the days that immediately follow one because there's final business to attend to with your current clients -- followed immediately by new clients who want to get the jump on their competitors by locking you into new business for the next cycle.

My primary consults are Colorado, Nevada, and my home state of Virginia. Not only did my clients have a lot of success this year but we ended up looking even better on account of how poorly the Midwest performed, so there's obviously a lot for me to take care of before I can hit pause for a couple of months and take a vacation.

So what the hell happened? Why were many of the polls wrong?

How do you feel about a Trump presidency?
Gold: 8,933.00
Nov 15 2016 06:38pm
hey snipa, Beowulf and I await our meager fg winnings!

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=75221793&f=119&o=25
Gold: 57.00
Nov 15 2016 06:58pm
Quote (Pollster @ 15 Nov 2016 19:48)
To do a little results-related cleanup:

The best analysis of the W.H. race probably has to wait on precinct and county-level data to supplement the higher-quality modeling and polling used by the campaign(s) and party committees, but no need to wait on Senate and House races. In the House, two illegal GOP gerrymanders getting tossed in VA/FL led to one guaranteed Dem pickup (VA-4), a trade (GOP-held FL-10 for FL-2), and various seats gaining an edge one way or the other. The GOP gave themselves more of an edge in FL-18 and was able to pick it up, their only other gain outside of NE-2. Remapping forced them to make FL-7 and FL-13 more Democratic and as a result Democrats picked up both.

Dems also retook IL-10, NH-1, NJ-5, NV-3 and NV-4. And with votes left uncounted in California, Dems only trail by roughly 4k votes in CA-49.

In the Senate the Democrats easily retook IL and narrowly retook NH, and held both CO/NV. The Dems could never answer the flood of billionaire money that Republican donors were pouring into these battlegrounds over the last year, and huge last-minute injections especially helped the GOP hang on in PA/NC/WI. A couple of Democrats did put together some ridiculous overperformances in losing efforts, especially in MO (Jason Kander only lost 49%-46% in a state Trump carried 56%-37%) and and FL (Patrick Murphy only lost 51%-45% after being outspent 18:1 from September onward).

The new Senate composition as of right now is 51 Republicans, 48 Democrats+Independents, and 1 outstanding (LA). Republican Treasurer John Kennedy and Democratic Public Service Commissioner Foster Campbell advanced to the December 10th runoff to fill the 100th seat.

hey buddy im glad youre back in time for your funeral, Figuratively of course
Gold: 20.31
Nov 15 2016 07:06pm
Quote (Santara @ Nov 15 2016 05:38pm)
hey snipa, Beowulf and I await our meager fg winnings!

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=75221793&f=119&o=25

Naturally I appreciate the laugh on this, but the reality is that I'm the one who never said that Trump couldn't win an election. Other users, including coincidentally IceMage, often remarked with surprise at various stages when I wouldn't declare this race "over." I refused to do that because I know how elections can go sometimes.

Quote (IceMage @ Nov 15 2016 05:33pm)
So what the hell happened? Why were many of the polls wrong?

How do you feel about a Trump presidency?

I assume you mean the public polls on that -- HfA/PUSA/DNC's private polling were largely accurate absent the couple of errors you expect to see across any large-scale project. There were a couple of problems with the public polls, a lot of them the same in 2014: the industry is facing long-term challenges and there aren't easy fixes for some. There were far fewer live-caller surveys in the states down the stretch this year, as a result a larger share of what people were seeing was made up of junk polls by amateur universities, or groups with no money, or online groups with unproven/flawed methodologies.

You also have the very real excuse of Comey's intervention(s) and how that'd upend the numbers. That's really hard for polls to pick up on because both of them happened so late, with 11 and 4 days left before Election Day. Clinton's polling picked up on it, they knew that both his original letter to Congress and even his "oh no big deal, nothing to see here, these are just emails we've read already" clarification were very beneficial to Trump, but public polling is of too low quality to adequately measure the effects of something like that in such little time.

Re: Trump, I don't feel any different than how I did when (I believe) thundercock asked me both this spring and last year a hypothetical "what if Trump won?" I obviously sympathize for the 10s/100 million whose lives will be much harder (if not ruined altogether) by him going after the ACA, Ryan going after Medicare and Medicaid, cutting assistance for working families who need it, everyone who's a part of a group/demographic he insulted or targeted during the campaign, but I think most people knew enough about what they were getting when they voted (the one exception is the millions of working-class people who voted for him but who will suffer greatly by his policies, but I still feel bad for them regardless).

For me professionally it's a good outcome because my clients will benefit from being the out-party, but that doesn't mean I don't feel bad for all the people who will suffer real pain from it.
Gold: 2,489.69
Nov 15 2016 07:16pm
8 fg to beo and Santara :)
Gold: 5,016.77
Nov 15 2016 07:19pm
Quote (Pollster @ Nov 15 2016 08:06pm)
I assume you mean the public polls on that -- HfA/PUSA/DNC's private polling were largely accurate absent the couple of errors you expect to see across any large-scale project. There were a couple of problems with the public polls, a lot of them the same in 2014: the industry is facing long-term challenges and there aren't easy fixes for some. There were far fewer live-caller surveys in the states down the stretch this year, as a result a larger share of what people were seeing was made up of junk polls by amateur universities, or groups with no money, or online groups with unproven/flawed methodologies.

You also have the very real excuse of Comey's intervention(s) and how that'd upend the numbers. That's really hard for polls to pick up on because both of them happened so late, with 11 and 4 days left before Election Day. Clinton's polling picked up on it, they knew that both his original letter to Congress and even his "oh no big deal, nothing to see here, these are just emails we've read already" clarification were very beneficial to Trump, but public polling is of too low quality to adequately measure the effects of something like that in such little time.

Their internal polling had Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania tied/close?

It's true though, you never said Trump couldn't win.
Gold: 57.00
Nov 15 2016 07:20pm
Quote (Pollster @ 15 Nov 2016 21:06)
Naturally I appreciate the laugh on this, but the reality is that I'm the one who never said that Trump couldn't win an election. Other users, including coincidentally IceMage, often remarked with surprise at various stages when I wouldn't declare this race "over." I refused to do that because I know how elections can go sometimes.

Re: Trump, I don't feel any different than how I did when (I believe) thundercock asked me both this spring and last year a hypothetical "what if Trump won?" I obviously sympathize for the 10s/100 million whose lives will be much harder (if not ruined altogether) by him going after the ACA, Ryan going after Medicare and Medicaid, cutting assistance for working families who need it, everyone who's a part of a group/demographic he insulted or targeted during the campaign, but I think most people knew enough about what they were getting when they voted (the one exception is the millions of working-class people who voted for him but who will suffer greatly by his policies, but I still feel bad for them regardless).

For me professionally it's a good outcome because my clients will benefit from being the out-party, but that doesn't mean I don't feel bad for all the people who will suffer real pain from it.

lol at this post, summed up in one (1) word

wrong
you said huffpo was your go to aggregator, played it up like it was God's gift to mankind, and they had it at 98.1% chance of a Clinton victory.

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=75019096&f=119&p=507540303
http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=75019096&f=119&p=507541152
http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=75082103&f=119&p=508014572

Quote (Pollster @ 13 Sep 2016 13:08)
If you're referring to Nate Silver then that's really a separate issue. People are free to trust his commentary, his modeling. I would even recommend him with some caveats. But what he provides is a model, and commentary based off of that model; the HuffPo Pollster and RCP averages are simple aggregates. They're directly comparable, and HuffPo simply has the far superior product. People have gotten use to RCP, I suspect it will eventually become outdated.

you had another 0-fer election, the 2nd in a row for you. 0-7 in the last 2 years, but keep telling us your firm is thriving. it's probably as lively as the DNC and Democrat party is right now.

Obligatory: thanks for the first of many fucking laughs!!!!!!!!!!

This post was edited by excellence on Nov 15 2016 07:21pm
Gold: 40.42
Nov 15 2016 07:24pm
Quote (excellence @ 15 Nov 2016 17:20)
lol at this post, summed up in one (1) word
https://media.giphy.com/media/3oz8xLd9DJq2l2VFtu/giphy.gif

wrong
you said huffpo was your go to aggregator, played it up like it was God's gift to mankind, and they had it at 98.1% chance of a Clinton victory.

https://i.redd.it/u8k2g6q3snxx.png

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=75019096&f=119&p=507540303
http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=75019096&f=119&p=507541152
http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=75082103&f=119&p=508014572

you had another 0-fer election, the 2nd in a row for you. 0-7 in the last 2 years, but keep telling us your firm is thriving. it's probably as lively as the DNC and Democrat party is right now.

Obligatory: thanks for the first of many fucking laughs!!!!!!!!!!

It's always hilarious to watch you getting completely outclassed in every meaningful way while thinking that you're winning tbh, I don't think anyone brings it out of you half as well as Pollster.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev167891013Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll