d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Police Where I Live > Knocked My Friend Clean Out
Prev1891011Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,489.69
May 15 2015 11:46am
Quote (card_sultan @ May 15 2015 11:38am)
Simply firing somebody is not enough punishment in some cases. It esentially only allows them to continue their brain-masterbation.

Someone getting fired as a cook i would agree with you. They can simply not put that restaurant on their resume and get another job. If you fire a cop, especially for a misuse of force reason, they will in all likelihood never serve as a cop again. It is impossible for a cop to move from one precinct to another without someone knowing about it. They usually end up as rent-a-cops at the local shopping mall, or work private security. Either way their career is over, state benefits lost, and they can't use their job experience to leverage an equivilent job like most people who get fired from a job. On top of that this guy is getting charged with misdemeanor assault, which is exactly what any person would get for picking up someone and dropping them on cement. He's likely headed to jail for 2-3 months where people will know hes a cop. Seems like justice is served to me. At least for a single instance of tripping someone. There was nothing in the story nor the person who posted here that went on about long term damage, my guess is the guy woke up with a shiner and the cop now has to rearrange his life. Justice served, cries for blood are just childish in comparison to a loss of a career.

Also the proceeds of the fight could go to the victim's family and might prevent an actual lawsuit

Yes subject the guy to getting his ass whooped to avoid a 10-20k$ lawsuit. The guy got dropped on his face not beaten repeatedly with a nightstick. No grand jury would give him more than that, if anything.

This post was edited by thesnipa on May 15 2015 11:49am
Gold: 8,933.00
May 15 2015 01:23pm
Quote (thesnipa @ May 15 2015 10:24am)
As long as you see the path of charging people with resisting arrest and threatening statements (with like disorderly conduct misdemeanors) as a good replacement for force i can agree with you. But that also likely would mean ALOT more tickets. Lots of cops deal out minor street justice with a kimora or a minor slam, if they are all advised to ticket in replacement of any force against non-violent threats there will me massive fines. Places like the boardwalk in NJ would likely see 5-10x more tickets, which is fine as long as you acknowledge and accept that consequence at the outset.

If only the cops understood that asking "what are you charging me with" and failing to answer meant legally being able to resist a false arrest.
May 15 2015 01:30pm
Quote (Santara @ May 15 2015 01:23pm)
If only the cops understood that asking "what are you charging me with" and failing to answer meant legally being able to resist a false arrest.

The USSC has ruled on many occasions in favor of police being able to temporarily detain people without the need of a formal charge. While these cases are limited and require absolutely no harm to the individual while in custody i would have no problem expanding the rules required for such a detention or at the very least increasing transparency with the public to make sure they know exactly when they can and cannot be detained / ticketed. "what are you charging me with" is not a get out of cuffs free card, even the USSC agree on that. I personally think that if by some miracle there wasnt a single instance like in the OP's video but instead an entire precinct just started throwing out disorderly conduct tickets like candy the focus would just shift. People claim physical harm is the highest concern that must never be breached until something else is breached.
Gold: 0.00
May 15 2015 01:37pm
Quote (Santara @ 15 May 2015 19:23)

Not legally here in the UK. If you think police are acting outside of the law you still can't resist. Resisting arrest is a crime. If you have an issue with police actions you have to fight it in court.

Probably the most fucked up law there is on arrests and the only crime on my rap sheet.

This post was edited by Scaly on May 15 2015 01:38pm
May 15 2015 01:43pm
Quote (Scaly @ May 15 2015 01:37pm)
Not legally here in the UK. If you think police are acting outside of the law you still can't resist. Resisting arrest is a crime. If you have an issue with police actions you have to fight it in court.

Probably the most fucked up law there is on arrests and the only crime on my rap sheet.

most people have no fucking clue how good of general advice that is. 9 time out of 10 someone mouths off and doesnt get off because of it.

I tell everyone the exact same thing my constitutional law professor says "sit down, shut the fuck up, and dont say a single word besides i would like to talk to my lawyer."

Most people dont realize half of the shit on their own police report is something they said, information the willingly handed to the person who's job it is to gather information.
Gold: 91.00
May 15 2015 01:58pm
The police saved this drunk moron actually. With his attitude he would have eventually gotten into a fight and most likely injured worse. If you can't hold your liquor, stay inside.
Gold: 0.00
May 15 2015 02:01pm
lol at people saying he deserved bla bla bla... keyboard warriors probably would have peed and shitted their pants if it happened to them...

that was fucking disgusting...there was no need for that wtf he fully face planted concrete floor

This post was edited by -=vasya=- on May 15 2015 02:02pm
May 15 2015 02:21pm
Quote (-=vasya=- @ May 15 2015 02:01pm)
lol at people saying he deserved bla bla bla... keyboard warriors probably would have peed and shitted their pants if it happened to them...

that was fucking disgusting...there was no need for that wtf he fully face planted concrete floor

If i was his dad i would have said he deserved it because i would never want a child of mine drunk and disorderly in public.

If i was the chief of police i would have fired the officer because i feel his actions were unwarranted.

You know it is possible to have more than one viewpoint on an issue, not everything is black and white and obviously both people share fault. If you incorrectly place all of the fault on one individual you are making a mistake. Both people share culpability even if its 90%:10%.
Gold: 500.00
May 15 2015 02:53pm
Quote (thesnipa @ May 15 2015 03:21pm)
If i was his dad i would have said he deserved it because i would never want a child of mine drunk and disorderly in public.

If i was the chief of police i would have fired the officer because i feel his actions were unwarranted.

You know it is possible to have more than one viewpoint on an issue, not everything is black and white and obviously both people share fault. If you incorrectly place all of the fault on one individual you are making a mistake. Both people share culpability even if its 90%:10%.

this guy and his whole trying to be reasonable thing :rofl:
Gold: 2,571.50
May 15 2015 03:07pm
looks like a clear case excessive use of force with intent to harm from the video.

not enough reason to slam someone head first on concrete on purpose.

edit: specially after the person was already handcuffed and not fighting or biting, spitting etc

This post was edited by iBruno on May 15 2015 03:08pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1891011Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll