d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Charlie Hebdo Massacre - Reactions From Muslims
Prev14567822Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 339.00
Jan 11 2015 07:34am
Quote (Viona @ Jan 9 2015 09:21pm)
There are reactions on the radio, TV, social media etc, about pretty prominent Muslim people condemning this terrorism attack. The phrase that keeps returning is "Islam is a religion of peace" and "these attackers are no true Muslims". I'm glad that these messages are being sent out because it shows that, indeed, most Muslims don't agree with any of this violence.

I'm actually wondering whether this will do any good though. I can imagine that these extremist people will eventually even turn themselves against other Muslims themselves...

Just some random thoughts... I'm curious to see what jsp thinks.

In Islam, it's only justifiable to kill when you are under attack. When your opponents put their weapons down, you should do the same. Picking up a gun and opening fire at people was and is never taught, and the actions by those terrorist scum cannot be justified by any verse or chapter in the Qur'an. A true Muslim is one who lives his or her life by the Book, as well as the recorded actions and sayings of the Prophet. Some people, however, read the Book, choose carefully cherry-picked quotes, read them out of context and with no regard to what the Prophet was known to do during his life on earth, and use their own interpretations as a justification for violent acts.

I can't say I wasn't offended by any drawings of our Prophet, but killing people in response to the offense is plain crazy. What Islam has taught me is that when people mock the Prophet, tell them what you can about him. If they still choose to mock him, then your job is done. It's better for you to take offense to the mockery than to lash out.

It's disappointing, however, to see that our community at large is just plainly condemning these attacks. I don't feel that it's our responsibility to go about every mosque or religious meeting to evaluate their intentions in their gatherings since it would be nearly impossible to establish an Islam Police in every country. Honestly, I'm not sure what we should do, or what the international community expects us to do about the recent attack, and the following suicide bombings that are sure to come in the future.

Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Jan 9 2015 09:35pm)
...my belief is that most Muslims would choose to side with the terrorists versus doing something to stop them if push came to shove .

Quote (j0ltk0la @ Jan 9 2015 09:42pm)
A minority of muslims commit the acts and only a minority of the muslims are against them, the majority are silently cheering them on.

There is no silent cheering for these crazy shooters. Those of us who are against the attacks are against it because we'd rather live our lives without being stricken with fear, and I personally want the same for my neighbors. Honestly, how is an unknown Muslim living in Nowhereville, Alabama, or even Where-the-Hell-is-That, Taiwan, going to benefit from the attacks in France? Were you or your parents or grandparents silently cheering on the Christians during the Muslim-Christian conflict in Papua, Indonesia, during the late 90s?
Gold: 100.00
Jan 11 2015 08:49am
ask them what they think about people insulting the prophet Mohammed

and you might have the awnser. Andy, you are not offended, but I'm afraid the majority is.

This post was edited by Hellskin on Jan 11 2015 08:51am
Gold: 0.76
Jan 11 2015 09:20am
Quote (Hellskin @ 11 Jan 2015 09:49)

and you might have the awnser. Andy, you are not offended, but I'm afraid the majority is.

why is it that offended has to = killing with so many idiots?

He admitted to being offended
he also said that he didn't condone the violence as has a majority of the Muslim world

things offend people every day
it's only the fringe of society that escalate being offended to murder
Jan 11 2015 09:45am
Quote (Hellskin @ Jan 11 2015 10:49pm)

I was offended, sir. I'm sure the majority was insulted by the publication, but it didn't offend the majority enough to retaliate. Unfortunately, a select group of people that saw this as an opportunity to draw their weapons. And now they've thrown stones and burning objects into a German newspaper company's building that published some of the cartoons from Hebdo.
Gold: 100.00
Jan 11 2015 09:54am
Quote (Valhalls_Sun @ 11 Jan 2015 17:20)
why is it that offended has to = killing with so many idiots?

No sir, you are missing the point. Its not about being offended, but about how they think about people that did the offending.
The consensus is that people offending the prophet need to be punished, or at least deserve to be punished. And if they get punished they got what they deserve.

This believe stands contrary to the freedom of speech and the freedom of press, and many other liberal values.

This post was edited by Hellskin on Jan 11 2015 09:55am
Jan 11 2015 10:06am
Quote (Hellskin @ Jan 11 2015 11:54pm)
No sir, you are missing the point. Its not about being offended, but about how they think about people that did the offending.
The consensus is that people offending the prophet need to be punished, or at least deserve to be punished. And if they get punished they got what they deserve.

This believe stands contrary to the freedom of speech and the freedom of press, and many other liberal values.

Can anybody shed some light on why Charlie Hebdo decided to print the pictures? Was it simply because they wanted to exercise those rights or was their intention to insult?

I'm sure the States closely guards freedom of speech and press, but I'm sure they wouldn't allow the printing of the N-word just so they could poke fun at a specific group of people.
Gold: 7,252.72
Jan 11 2015 10:07am
Quote (andysundala @ Jan 11 2015 10:45am)
I was offended, sir. I'm sure the majority was insulted by the publication, but it didn't offend the majority enough to retaliate. Unfortunately, a select group of people that saw this as an opportunity to draw their weapons. And now they've thrown stones and burning objects into a German newspaper company's building that published some of the cartoons from Hebdo.

...when push comes to shove ( forced to choose ) who will you side with...those who believe it is okay to practice free speech including insulting Mohammad or those who wage jihad against it ?
Gold: 7,252.72
Jan 11 2015 10:08am
Quote (andysundala @ Jan 11 2015 11:06am)
Can anybody shed some light on whyCharlie Hebdo decided to print the pictures? Was it simply because they wanted to exercise those rights or was their intention to insult?

I'm sure the States closely guards freedom of speech and press, but I'm sure they wouldn't allow the printing of the N-word just so they could poke fun at a specific group of people.

...because that is what they do , they are a satirical publication and insult everyone by choice . They mock all powerful institutions .

This post was edited by WidowMaKer_MK on Jan 11 2015 10:09am
Jan 11 2015 11:03am
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Jan 12 2015 12:07am)
...when push comes to shove ( forced to choose ) who will you side with...those who believe it is okay to practice free speech including insulting Mohammad or those who wage jihad against it ?

Forced to choose? I'd choose the side that says do what you want. I'm not going to force my beliefs down someone's throat. You don't automatically side with people because you are the same religion. I don't like to limit the choices to just two. I'd add mind my own business, abide by the laws of my Book and the state, and exercise all my rights as long as they don't diminish the rights of others. Y'know, showing empathy.

This isn't Jihad. This is just stupid, unjustified violence. Jihad is a struggle. If they had explained the importance of not drawing the Prophet then that would be Jihad.
I stated earlier, it's our duty to let you know why we don't want an image of our Prophet. If you still choose to draw one or mock him anyway, I am not obliged to do anything else.

Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Jan 12 2015 12:08am)
...because that is what they do , they are a satirical publication and insult everyone by choice . They mock all powerful institutions .

So they did it because they could? They didn't get away with Anti-Semitism back in 2009...

This post was edited by andysundala on Jan 11 2015 11:10am
Gold: 285.00
Jan 11 2015 11:15am
Quote (andysundala @ Jan 11 2015 11:06am)
Can anybody shed some light on why Charlie Hebdo decided to print the pictures? Was it simply because they wanted to exercise those rights or was their intention to insult?

Probably to sell papers and make money, and because there is a demand for such a product. Capitalism has no ideology, it isn't Muslim, or French, or anything like that...it will make products and sell things to everybody, including anti-capitalists. Charlie Hebdo or any firm wouldn't exist if it couldn't afford to.

Individual people may be doing it to exercise rights, or to insult. It really isn't relevant though. It really isn't. Iconoclasm isn't illegal.

This post was edited by Skinned on Jan 11 2015 11:15am
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev14567822Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll