d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > World Oil War
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Dec 11 2014 09:41am
Quote (Skinned @ Dec 11 2014 09:34am)
Not on the same schedule but as inevitable as it is a poor system to begin with.  Trying to measure qualitatively different products with the same measurement is just too problematic for us to ever get right.

Don't worry, we have reached peak oil several years ago and this probably will increase consumption and play that to its end.  Meanwhile the rest of the nations have stopped producing oil because even though it is very valuable, they can't sell it, and since we're in the capitalist epoch they won't do something just because it has intrinsic worth  :lol:

It isn't a crash you're thinking of that we are on the verge of, it is a change.  I wonder what will come after the capitalist goes extinct?

crashes come with change, and capitalism will be around long after we are dead
Gold: 285.00
Dec 11 2014 09:49am
Quote (Clicquot @ Dec 11 2014 10:41am)
crashes come with change, and capitalism will be around long after we are dead

Yeah, like magically blooded nobles in Europe and in Asian kingdoms it will continue to exist, but I think there will be a time soon where profit won't be god and value will come from somewhere else. Look at early capitalism....two hundred years ago it was thought that the highest purpose of life was to figure out a way to get nine men who make a hundred tacks a day to find a way to make thousands of tacks a day. Worthy in itself, but anything resembling humanity was lost in the process of industrialization. I can't even look at anything I own and say that somebody made it. Every time I buy a product I'm engaging in social relations that I cannot even comprehend.

Side note, how weird would it be if we could shake the hands of the children who make our clothes while our kids are in school?

This post was edited by Skinned on Dec 11 2014 09:50am
Gold: 8,933.00
Dec 11 2014 09:50am
Quote (Subzer0isGG @ Dec 11 2014 09:29am)
It's your shale production and the saudis playing poker flooding the market putting prices down to make your high refining costs not worth it to do. And to start buying instead.

Alberta gonna feel the pinch too. But not as bad.

You mean the Saudis now have to compete with non-cartel groups? Awww, that's too bad. Opec needs to be broken.

Quote (Saucisson6000 @ Dec 11 2014 09:31am)
i dont like it due the paradox explained in the arcticle above: alternative energies

You don't like fluctuating prices?

Quote (Skinned @ Dec 11 2014 09:34am)
Not on the same schedule but as inevitable as it is a poor system to begin with.  Trying to measure qualitatively different products with the same measurement is just too problematic for us to ever get right.

Don't worry, we have reached peak oil several years ago and this probably will increase consumption and play that to its end.  Meanwhile the rest of the nations have stopped producing oil because even though it is very valuable, they can't sell it, and since we're in the capitalist epoch they won't do something just because it has intrinsic worth  :lol:

It isn't a crash you're thinking of that we are on the verge of, it is a change.  I wonder what will come after the capitalist goes extinct?

World oil production is still increasing, so we haven't seen peak oil yet, not that it won't happen. But the longer we can put it off while trying to diversify our energy, the better.

There will be no change that you hope for without the crash first. Massive economic turmoil must precipitate your envisioned utopia (not that I've seen you put forth a better system anyways).
Gold: 500.00
Dec 11 2014 09:55am
i'm no economist but if the oil prices continue to decline then production costs across all business would go down yet prices would remain the same correct?

also lowers the costs of commuting, don't see how this isn't a win win

This post was edited by duffman316 on Dec 11 2014 09:56am
Gold: 285.00
Dec 11 2014 09:55am
Quote (Santara @ Dec 11 2014 10:50am)
You mean the Saudis now have to compete with non-cartel groups? Awww, that's too bad. Opec needs to be broken.

World oil production is still increasing, so we haven't seen peak oil yet, not that it won't happen. But the longer we can put it off while trying to diversify our energy, the better.

There will be no change that you hope for without the crash first. Massive economic turmoil must precipitate your envisioned utopia (not that I've seen you put forth a better system anyways).

Production is increasing but oil discoveries are decreasing drastically. What are you talking about we haven't hit peak oil? It is accepted scientific fact that we have. The only area we aren't sucking dry is in the arctic and that doesn't have as much oil as people are acting like it does. We have already hit peak oil. Maybe you read something on RAND or Mises.org climate change section that debunked peak oil and gravity but we are finding it less and less, which is why we have to go after garbage oil sources like shale.

And what affect does Saudi claiming to have considerably more oil than they have? They are claiming they have 100B more gallons of oil in reserves than they have...that surely means something relative to what they're doing here.
Gold: 17,384.69
Dec 11 2014 10:05am
Quote (Santara @ 11 Dec 2014 16:50)

no, and you ?

You like easy cheap oil, polluting and keeping away the alternatives energies progress ?
You like oil crisis going above 150$ or whatever too high, suddently crashing the whole economy ?
Dec 11 2014 10:10am
Quote (Skinned @ Dec 11 2014 09:55am)
Production is increasing but oil discoveries are decreasing drastically.  What are you talking about we haven't hit peak oil?  It is accepted scientific fact that we have.  The only area we aren't sucking dry is in the arctic and that doesn't have as much oil as people are acting like it does.  We have already hit peak oil.  Maybe you read something on RAND or Mises.org climate change section that debunked peak oil and gravity but we are finding it less and less, which is why we have to go after garbage oil sources like shale.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8f/Hubbert_peak_oil_plot.svg/600px-Hubbert_peak_oil_plot.svg.png

And what affect does Saudi claiming to have considerably more oil than they have?  They are claiming they have 100B more gallons of oil in reserves than they have...that surely means something relative to what they're doing here.

Don't go straw manning me. Production is rising and it is also currently outstripping demand. We're probably near the peak, but we are not on the way down yet. Hubbert data is dated data.

Saudi Arabia intentionally misstating their reserves probably adds a measure of (unfounded) confidence in the strength of supply, but supply globally hasn't started falling yet, so no peak yet.

Quote (Saucisson6000 @ Dec 11 2014 10:05am)
no, and you ?

You like easy cheap oil, polluting and keeping away the alternatives energies progress ?
You like oil crisis going above 150$ or whatever too high, suddently crashing the whole economy ?

Yes, because I don't like paying artificially high prices for my energy.

Oil going above $150 is not the free market's fault. It is OPEC's.

This post was edited by Santara on Dec 11 2014 10:11am
Dec 11 2014 10:13am
Quote (Santara @ Dec 11 2014 11:10am)
Oil going above $150 is not the free market's fault. It is OPEC's.

you believe cartels don't form naturally in a free market?

Dec 11 2014 10:16am
Quote (duffman316 @ Dec 11 2014 10:13am)
you believe cartels don't form naturally in a free market?

By definition, it isn't a free market if there's anti-competitive (collusive) behavior.

This post was edited by Santara on Dec 11 2014 10:16am
Dec 11 2014 10:17am
Quote (Santara @ Dec 11 2014 11:16am)
By definition, it isn't a free market if there's anti-competitive behavior.

do you want a free market or a competitive market? you can't have both
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll