d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > To Those That Argue Against Stem Cell Research > Thank You
Prev1789101120Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 678.00
Oct 10 2014 07:05pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 11 Oct 2014 02:59)
...we are far too different a culture for it to be workable; in America a similar law would prey on the uneducated , the uninformed and the poor . I fully support organ donation and have marked myself for donor status on my driver's license but I only support it in it's current voluntary opt in status . Giving the government the right to the remains of the dead reeks of goverment control to me .

I'm not sure if the government has a right to the remains of the dead. Or at least, I never looked at it that way.

I see it more that doctors in hospitals are more free to harvest organs according to needs and possible matches. In essence, it should be a measure against organshortages.

But this might be better discussed in a topic of its own. I dunno.

This post was edited by hATemOnkEy on Oct 10 2014 07:06pm
Gold: 7,252.72
Oct 10 2014 07:07pm
Quote (hATemOnkEy @ Oct 10 2014 09:05pm)
I'm not sure if the government has a right to the remains of the dead. Or at least, I never looked at it that way.

I see it more that doctors in hospitals are more free to harvest organs according to needs and possible matches. In essence, it should be a measure against organshortages.

But this might be better discussed in a topic of it's own. I dunno.

...but let me ask...what happens if the family of someone recently dead decides to withhold the remains ...does the government actually enforce the presumed consent law ?
Gold: 0.00
Oct 10 2014 07:07pm
Quote (HighschoolTurd @ 11 Oct 2014 00:55)
So that makes it okay to "escalate" it to Death Threats?

Put yourself in my situation concerning Widow and I, but I would never steep down that low...

I didn't threaten to kill him. That's ridiculous. He's on the other side of the world and a forum grudge isn't worth killing someone over. I said I would enjoy seeing him die. Which I shouldn't have said. It's not ok to say that about somebody on a forum. I haven't anywhere claimed that either of our behaviour has been acceptable. Nor that either of us is without fault. In fact I said the opposite... that it is unacceptable, we are both at fault and I'm tired of it so I'm ending it.

This post was edited by Scaly on Oct 10 2014 07:07pm
Gold: 500.00
Oct 10 2014 07:09pm
Quote (IceMage @ Oct 10 2014 07:19pm)
I think that humans on every stage of development are worthy of legal protection.

Pretty simple, right?

let's suppose i agree with you ~ and to a large degree i do ~ and we provide legal protection to fetus's considering them persons

we would have to treat any death/damage of a fetus as no different from child abuse

the state is obligated to prosecute all crime against the unborn just as it would against a 1 month old infant

that being said, would you support the prosecution of women who seek abortions for a myriad of reasons ranging from health issues, financial issues, career issues to plain irresponsible unprotected sex and not wanting to take responsibility for the consequences? --> would you prescribe jail/death sentence/fines for any of these?

would you support the prosecution of women who engage in excessive drinking resulting in damage to the fetus? and what would the consequences be for such negligent behaviour?

in order to be consistent with your claims that you'd want legal protection for the unborn you'd have to prosecute both of these cases to the full extent of the law

any reservations you hold against throwing someone in jail for abortion vs throwing someone in jail for murdering an infant would be no different from acknowledging that you too do not hold unborn human life on the same level as ordinary humans despite saying otherwise as you are unwilling to follow through and ensure they are protected

This post was edited by duffman316 on Oct 10 2014 07:10pm
Gold: 7,252.72
Oct 10 2014 07:10pm
Quote (Scaly @ Oct 10 2014 09:07pm)
I didn't threaten to kill him. That's ridiculous. He's on the other side of the world and a forum grudge isn't worth killing someone over. I said I would enjoy seeing him die. Which was wrong of me. It's not ok to say that about somebody on a forum. I haven't anywhere claimed that either of our behaviour has been acceptable. Nor that either of us is without fault. In fact I said the opposite... that it is unacceptable, we are both at fault and I'm tired of it so I'm ending it.

...you explicitly said you would kill me if you had diplomatic immunity and could get away with it and went on to say I should be tortured first . Trying to minimize your hostility only makes it worse .
Gold: 500.00
Oct 10 2014 07:11pm
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ Oct 10 2014 08:10pm)
...you explicitly said you would kill me if you had diplomatic immunity and could get away with it and went on to say I should be tortured first. Trying to minimize your hostility only makes it worse .

do you really think anyone on the internet could be serious about this? there are a large number of people i've encountered in online gaming who i would prefer dead but i'm not serious about it

This post was edited by duffman316 on Oct 10 2014 07:11pm
Gold: 678.00
Quote (WidowMaKer_MK @ 11 Oct 2014 03:07)
...but let me ask...what happens if the family of someone recently dead decides to withhold the remains ...does the government actually enforce the presumed consent law ?

As far as I'm aware, no.

Next of kin have the right to withhold the remains or forbid organharvesting.

Everyone also has the option to opt out while still alive.
Gold: 171.76
Quote (duffman316 @ Oct 10 2014 09:09pm)
let's suppose i agree with you ~ and to a large degree i do ~ and we provide legal protection to fetus's considering them persons

we would have to treat any death/damage of a fetus as no different from child abuse

the state is obligated to prosecute all crime against the unborn just as it would against a 1 month old infant

that being said, would you support the prosecution of women who seek abortions for a myriad of reasons ranging from health issues, financial issues, career issues to plain irresponsible unprotected sex and not wanting to take responsibility for the consequences? --> would you prescribe jail/death sentence/fines for any of these?

would you support the prosecution of women who engage in excessive drinking resulting in damage to the fetus? and what would the consequences be for such negligent behaviour?

in order to be consistent with your claims that you'd want legal protection for the unborn you'd have to prosecute both of these cases to the full extent of the law

any reservations you hold against throwing someone in jail for abortion vs throwing someone in jail for murdering an infant would be no different from acknowledging that you too do not hold unborn human life on the same level as ordinary humans despite saying otherwise as you are unwilling to follow through and ensure they are protected

the scary slippery slope....
Gold: 171.76
Oct 10 2014 07:13pm
Quote (duffman316 @ Oct 10 2014 09:11pm)
do you really think anyone on the internet could be serious about this? there are a large number of people i've encountered in online gaming who i would prefer dead but i'm not serious about it

dude you've seen and heard some of the awful things ive said to people in the heat of league...i don't mean any of it

Like i said, Widow loves to push peoples buttons intentionally until they snap, and then sits on his self built moral high throne acting like his shit doesn't stink
Gold: 5,016.77
Oct 10 2014 07:14pm
Quote (Scaly @ Oct 10 2014 07:41pm)
Our differences continue to escalate. Several times I have offered to break the circle, I have offered apologies and extended my hand in friendship toward you and each time you have refused it. We are where we are now because you are incapable of forgiveness.

I'm bored Widow. I'm literally fucking sick and tired of having to go through the same fucking dance all the time. Same shit different day - just worse each time.

But my post wasn't only directed at you. It was directed at PaRD in general. Every thread turns into an exercise in mudslinging and intellectual oneupmanship. People trying to bring eachother down or prove how clever they are or how much bigger their dick is than everyone whose opinion differs from theirs.

This shit goes on all over GC but here - in PaRD can we not just be civil to one another? Have a discussion or a debate without having to insult, belittle and deride our opponents?

I'm as guilty as any other. But I say here and now - I am tired of it. From here on out PaRD is holy ground to me. I will do my utmost to conduct myself in a mature and gentlemanly manner. What goes on elsewhere I shan't bring in here and while in here I will not provoke, deride, insult or harass.

Quote (bitg_pj @ Oct 10 2014 07:54pm)
hopefully you've never masturbated into a tissue then....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_development_(biology)

Quote (duffman316 @ Oct 10 2014 08:09pm)

we would have to treat any death/damage of a fetus as no different from child abuse in terms of legal status

I support prosecuting women who get abortions, and the laws need to be harsh. I won't give specifics, but if you kill your unborn kid you should at least face a manslaughter charge. That sounds extreme in our political climate, but I truly believe that killing a potential life is one of the worst crimes.

This post was edited by IceMage on Oct 10 2014 07:15pm
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1789101120Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll