d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > How Money Is Viewed Today
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Oct 9 2014 09:43am
What is money? What do I value?

If a tornado came and wiped out everything I owned, what would be my response? I think that happiness is being with friends and family & experiencing life together. Stuff can be replaced, friends and family can't. Therefore I want to do something relatively stress-free which lets me be with friends and family, go out to dinner, etc. Maybe have kids someday, have money for retirement in thirty years.

I don't need a nice car. My brother has a new BMW and I don't even like to drive it. I don't need a big house. The hell am I going to do with all that space?

Just enough money to be happy with other people.
Gold: 1,261.00
Oct 9 2014 09:58am
Quote (Interesting @ Oct 9 2014 08:43am)

If a tornado came and wiped out everything I owned, what would be my response? I think that happiness is being with friends and family & experiencing life together. Stuff can be replaced, friends and family can't. Therefore I want to do something relatively stress-free which lets me be with friends and family, go out to dinner, etc. Maybe have kids someday, have money for retirement in thirty years.

I don't need a nice car. My brother has a new BMW and I don't even like to drive it. I don't need a big house. The hell am I going to do with all that space?

Call my insurance agency.
Gold: 5,016.77
Oct 9 2014 10:20am
Quote (Interesting @ Oct 9 2014 10:43am)

I agree completely.

Although, driving my grandfathers corvette tends to bring out the ambition in me, but it fades pretty quickly. My other grandfather actually talks about how he was never ambitious, but he created a family that loves him, which isn't the case for the rich one.

This post was edited by IceMage on Oct 9 2014 10:22am
Gold: 3,100.00
Oct 9 2014 01:22pm
I'm fine with my job, me and gf both make in the 60-80k bracket, definitely not amazing compared to what others are making but we both feel it is solid income for the ammount of work we do.

There are some coworkers that are getting promoted fast because they spend an extra 2-4 hrs every day working + time on weekend. Personally I feel I could be doing better if I put more effort in but I'd also rather have that time to myself . That being said I don't consider myself lazy either, I work the full 8-9 hrs a day Im paid to and I do a good job at it.

This post was edited by obisent on Oct 9 2014 01:37pm
Gold: 2,617.52
Oct 9 2014 01:46pm
Quote (AspenSniper @ Oct 8 2014 05:50pm)
I was at Chipotle today and a kid, maybe 10 years old, sees a Lotus drive up, looks at his mom and says "wow mom I want one of those when I turn 16!" his mom replies "you really want to be a person who only cares about money and nice cars?" I wondered why the mom didn't reply "work hard and you can earn that if you want it!"

I just turned 25 and have a nice house in a nice area, a new car and I do alright for myself, nothing super fancy, but i'll pretty easily retire around 40-45 years old. I hope my kids grow up wanting to reach for the stars. I just far too often see my colleagues sitting idle with their college degrees making $30k-40k a year that will probably never make more than $45k a year for 10 years because they don't have the drive to go the extra mile and earn a raise/promotion. Then I see those who do pretty well for themselves and they spend it on a stupid amount of rent and going to bars every night so much that when I ask if they want to go out to lunch they literally can't until they get their next paycheck.

I know I'm a bit old school, but am I the only person who has the goal of frugality and being able to live a bit simpler now so that I can have a wealthy retirement and so my kids can go to college and be more successful than I even hope to be?

Imo that's great for you, but many people are hopelessly adrift on economic undercurrents they'll never understand let alone control.

There's no reason to say everyone can't reach that place through effort, but I think its better to just focus on one's own efforts than to care about others' efforts. If they want to change they'll do so on their own.
Gold: 1,819.09
Oct 9 2014 03:44pm
Quote (card_sultan @ Oct 9 2014 10:33am)
until wife divorces you for being selfish and leaves you morally bankrupt and you need to rob a donut store for 100$ and wind up giving b/j's to strange men for 5....

Prenup and refuse to sign divorce papers.
Oct 9 2014 07:25pm
Quote (card_sultan @ Oct 9 2014 09:33am)
until wife divorces you for being selfish and leaves you morally bankrupt and you need to rob a donut store for 100$ and wind up giving b/j's to strange men for 5....

They got drugs in jail so I'll be okay. :D
Gold: 3,804.50
Oct 9 2014 07:26pm
Quote (S3th @ Oct 9 2014 09:25pm)
They got drugs in jail so I'll be okay. :D

you'll get laid often, too :)
Oct 9 2014 07:29pm
Quote (carteblanche @ Oct 9 2014 08:26pm)
you'll get laid often, too :)

Perfect.
I love to eat ass too. I don't get tired.
Gold: 678.00
Oct 9 2014 09:05pm
Quote (S3th @ 10 Oct 2014 03:29)
Perfect.
I love to eat ass too. I don't get tired.

Talk to this guy, then.
http://forums.d2jsp.org/user.php?i=591311
You'll get along swimmingly..
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll