d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > We Need A New Religion > I Will Be Its Prophet
Prev13456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: Locked
Sep 12 2014 01:07pm
Quote (Kamahl16 @ Sep 11 2014 06:45am)
You're not welcome in my cult.

:lol:
Gold: 2,900.49
Sep 12 2014 05:19pm
Quote (IceMage @ Sep 12 2014 06:17pm)
Christianity has a just war tradition and the bombings ended the war, most likely saving lives in the long run.

Christianity has a just war tradition? How is war compatible with Christian ethics?
Gold: 0.00
Sep 12 2014 05:47pm
Quote (Kamahl16 @ 12 Sep 2014 23:19)
Christianity has a just war tradition? How is war compatible with Christian ethics?

Jihad. Have you never read the old testament? Holy war is a thing dude. A very real thing.

And the Lord said unto Moses, take all the heads of the people, and hang them up before the Lord against the sun

Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have; do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass ....' And Saul ... utterly destroyed all the people with the edge of the sword."

etcetcetc...

e/ one of my fsvourites -
"... they will fall by the sword, famine and plague. He that is far away will die of the plague, and he that is near will fall by the sword, and he that survives and is spared will die of famine. So will I spend my wrath upon them. And they will know I am the Lord, when the people lie slain among their idols around their altars, on every high hill and on all the mountaintops, under every spreading tree and every leafy oak ...."

This post was edited by Scaly on Sep 12 2014 05:48pm
Gold: Locked
Sep 12 2014 09:07pm
Quote (Kamahl16 @ Sep 12 2014 09:23am)
What's that one fallacy, which is basically "oh X isn't that bad because Y is worse"? Red herring? This is a lesson in that fallacy.

False dichotomy maybe? The illusion that there are only 2 choices, the debater's choice and a worse one (and no other options)?

Quote (Kamahl16 @ Sep 12 2014 04:19pm)

Because let's be honest here, are the 10 Commandments REALLY that important?

This post was edited by BardOfXiix on Sep 12 2014 09:08pm
Gold: 152.00
Sep 12 2014 10:29pm
Quote (BardOfXiix @ Sep 12 2014 11:07pm)
Because let's be honest here, are the 10 Commandments REALLY that important?

Never met a person who hasn't broken one of them, so...
Gold: 14.88
Sep 12 2014 10:44pm
Quote (Kamahl16 @ Sep 12 2014 08:23am)
What's that one fallacy, which is basically "oh X isn't that bad because Y is worse"? Red herring? This is a lesson in that fallacy.

I'd argue that the Soviet Union and my beloved Che's Cuba both needed new religions, as well, and would have volunteered to be their prophet as well but the truth is I don't give a fuck about either of those countries or their government, so I focused on the single worst deed our government and nation has ever done (in my opinion, excluding possibility the execution of innocent individuals domestically), to make a point. As I've argued I consider that America with a Christian President (and Christian Presidents on either side of him, historically as well). Hell, those cocksuckers voted to put "In God We Trust" on our money after those bombings, the fucking balls of those people.

Laughably small? The death in the time period of the atomic bomb's detonation dwarfs any single amount of human death at any point in the species' history, I'm pretty sure, and the reason was a calculated decision by a group of human beings, not a disaster or an alien invasion (which would be among the only other things capable of an action).

In the vast scheme of things, bullets and bayonets have killed countless more than the atomic bombs, in single battles too boot.
Gold: 1.00
Sep 12 2014 11:04pm
Quote (pussymoneyweed @ Sep 11 2014 12:03pm)
devestating? Dude overpopulation is a problem I warmly welcome death in all shapes and sizes, lets knock off a few million people more often. Yes I include myself, if I'm one of the ones to go so be it. Shit is crowded and only getting worse think outside the box damn..

pussymoneyweed
Gold: 9,765.00
Warn: 60%
Sep 12 2014 11:28pm
its not really fair to try to equate Christian Values with the decision to drop the nuclear bomb in WW2
but since your going there - The US was not the aggressor in the Pacific, Japan was Hell bent on worshipping their Emperor and ruling over the Pacific. The War had caused many deaths on both sides and ultimately that decision was made in order to save 100s of thousand of American lives that would have died savagely if the war went on for 2 more years.

The Japanese were total fanatics (much like Muslim extremist are today) (Kamikazi's = Suicide bombers)

They still are today. Emperor Hirohito would have ordered ever last Japanese to fight to the death instead of surrendering and it was only the shear mass destruction of those bombs that made it clear that he had to surrender.

War is crappy but Christianity isn't all about peace and love. Its sorta like if someone broke into your house to rape your wife and kill you - but you had a gun in your nightside table - wouldnt you use it - and if you did would anyone blame you?
Gold: 5,016.77
Sep 13 2014 07:53am
Quote (Kamahl16 @ Sep 12 2014 06:19pm)

Stop playing dumb.

Collective self-defense by the proper authority figures. Where in scripture does it say that you cannot defend yourself?

This post was edited by IceMage on Sep 13 2014 07:59am
Gold: 2,900.49
Sep 13 2014 10:46am
Quote (IceMage @ Sep 13 2014 01:53pm)
Stop playing dumb.

Collective self-defense by the proper authority figures.  Where in scripture does it say that you cannot defend yourself?

Self-defense is a pretty lousy pretext for using the atomic bomb the way it was used and I think anyone who argues otherwise is 100% kidding themselves or detaching themselves so far from the realities of that action they don't even consider it literally.

I contend no genuine Christian, for any reason, ever would condone it.

Like I was telling Snake (in person, not here) yesterday, why do you think the creators of the atomic bomb were so remorseful/depressed at it? Those fuckers got it, why can't everyone here?

Speaking from a purely tactical standpoint I consider the atomic bomb to be complete chicken shit. If you're going to have a war have your fucking soldiers combat other soldiers, don't drop a God damn bomb on a civilian target. We became no worst than the terrorists who attacked us on 9/11 at that point.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev13456Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll