d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > We Need A New Religion > I Will Be Its Prophet
Prev1456
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 5,016.77
Sep 13 2014 11:10am
Quote (Kamahl16 @ Sep 13 2014 11:46am)
Self-defense is a pretty lousy pretext for using the atomic bomb the way it was used and I think anyone who argues otherwise is 100% kidding themselves or detaching themselves so far from the realities of that action they don't even consider it literally.

I contend no genuine Christian, for any reason, ever would condone it.

Like I was telling Snake (in person, not here) yesterday, why do you think the creators of the atomic bomb were so remorseful/depressed at it? Those fuckers got it, why can't everyone here?

Speaking from a purely tactical standpoint I consider the atomic bomb to be complete chicken shit. If you're going to have a war have your fucking soldiers combat other soldiers, don't drop a God damn bomb on a civilian target. We became no worst than the terrorists who attacked us on 9/11 at that point.

I really don't have a strong opinion on whether it was the right thing to do or not, because I don't know the history well enough.

However, how exactly is it different than the way we wage warfare now? Sure, the casualties were infinitely greater, but we kill thousands and thousands of civilians waging our wars in the Middle East. I don't know the numbers, but since 9/11 we've probably killed more civilians than the atomic bombs did. I think it is morally acceptable, because I believe the war on terror is a just war.

I contend that my opinion on whether the atomic bombing is acceptable or not is irrelevant to whether I'm a genuine Christian. Now, the question is whether supporting the dropping of the atomic bombs is compatible with Christian ethics. I'm going to lean towards no, but if it was deemed necessary for the survival of our nation, I would say it is morally acceptable.

This post was edited by IceMage on Sep 13 2014 11:11am
Gold: 14.88
Sep 13 2014 01:11pm
Quote (Kamahl16 @ Sep 13 2014 08:46am)
Like I was telling Snake (in person, not here) yesterday, why do you think the creators of the atomic bomb were so remorseful/depressed at it? Those fuckers got it, why can't everyone here?

I think any maker of a new type of weapon will be upset over it. My point is that the atom bomb didn't prove to be the doomsday weapon they feared it to be. Most people recognized the horror right away, which is why we've never used one in a military scenario since. Part of Christianity is acknowledging we've all sinned, and doing are best to cease sinful behavior.

Points about how we could have destroyed the earth with them several times are not particularly convincing. As we stand now, we'd have trouble acquiring complete nuclear coverage of mainland China. The expression is as simple as saying "at a time, we had enough bullets to murder every human on the planet."
Gold: 53.00
Sep 13 2014 04:53pm
I pray to RNGesus... May the six sided die bless us all
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1456
Add Reply New Topic New Poll