d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate > Riot Day Pre-game Thread
Prev1161718192025Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 11,571.00
Jan 29 2023 03:51pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jan 29 2023 04:40pm)
I don't think there's any difficulty any of us have in accepting statistics, and I am fine to accept any specific statistic on crime disparities irrespective even to whether they're mathematically valid and the research methods are sound.

If any statistic reflects a disparity, then we are then left with the question: Why? Why does this disparity exist?

All I've simply asked of both you and sirthom, given that you've each noted a statistical disparity, is why you think that disparity exists?

I keep answering your question over and over and you just keep glossing over it. There are more than one reason why the disparity exists and these have all been hashed out many times on here. It's just a boring discussion when it's so clearly obvious the point of it is to essentially say it's not the perpetrators fault they commit violent crime it's these other variables that always lead to some external force i.e. whites, the state, etc. being at fault on why someone behaves violently

The socio-economic things IMO are valid reasons that at least in part explain why blacks commit way more violent crime but the 'why' doesn't excuse the reality and the individual action.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Jan 29 2023 03:53pm
Gold: 1.66
Jan 29 2023 03:57pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jan 29 2023 01:51pm)
I keep answering your question over and over and you just keep glossing over it. There are more than one reason why the disparity exists and these have all been hashed out many times on here. It's just a boring discussion when it's so clearly obvious the point of it is to essentially say it's not the perpetrators fault they commit violent crime it's these other variables that always lead to some external force i.e. whites, the state, etc. being at fault on why someone behaves violently

The socio-economic things IMO are valid reasons that at least in part explain why blacks commit way more violent crime but the 'why' doesn't excuse the reality and the individual action.

What's just 1 non-socio-economic factor that you feel is part of the many reasons?
Jan 29 2023 04:08pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jan 29 2023 04:57pm)
What's just 1 non-socio-economic factor that you feel is part of the many reasons?

Is this your interpretation of what a debate is?

Asking open ended questions over and over while yourself not providing an argument or opinion?
Jan 29 2023 04:11pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jan 29 2023 02:08pm)
Is this your interpretation of what a debate is?

Asking open ended questions over and over while yourself not providing an argument or opinion?

Y'all are really so bizarre on this one, for real, no cap.

You: Says a thing.
Me: Hey, can you explain that more?
You: It's already been discussed before and YOU haven't shared YOUR opinion yet, so...no.
Jan 29 2023 04:26pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jan 29 2023 05:11pm)

You: It's already been discussed before and YOU haven't shared YOUR opinion yet, so...no.

I've explained my position like 4 times, why exactly do you need to an itemization of all the variables that I think cause blacks to commit more crime? What's the point? What is your position?
Jan 29 2023 04:33pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jan 29 2023 02:26pm)
I've explained my position like 4 times, why exactly do you need to an itemization of all the variables that I think cause blacks to commit more crime? What's the point? What is your position?

Can you share where you have done so? I've been going through your posts in this thread again, and all I can seem to find is you reiterating a disparity and the existence of 'black-on-black crime'; however, I don't see any thoughts shared for why the 'unique' phenomenon of black-on-black crime exists.

And my position is simple and I wish you could simply state yours as clearly as I do mine: Violence, and any disparity of such violence between so-called races, exists purely as a result of socio-economic reasons and if we addressed those underlying conditions we would see vast reduction in said violence.

This post was edited by Handcuffs on Jan 29 2023 04:33pm
Gold: 260.11
Jan 29 2023 04:34pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jan 29 2023 04:11pm)

It's because he's arguing to "win" instead of what you're doing, which is attempting to reach a common understanding. And the reason he's arguing to win instead of getting a common understanding is because his position is unambiguously "black people are violent so what do you expect when you make blacks police?". If he approached the dicussion the way you are he would be no different from Sirthom, and he knows that's bad optics.

This post was edited by NetflixAdaptationWidow on Jan 29 2023 04:35pm
Jan 29 2023 04:39pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ Jan 29 2023 02:34pm)
It's because he's arguing to "win" instead of what you're doing, which is attempting to reach a common understanding. And the reason he's arguing to win instead of getting a common understanding is because his position is unambiguously "black people are violent so what do you expect when you make blacks police?". If he approached the dicussion the way you are he would be no different from Sirthom, and he knows that's bad optics.

It is odd in that I haven't met or discussed things with people who are so reluctant to just share their opinion in a long time. Like pulling teeth.

This post was edited by Handcuffs on Jan 29 2023 04:40pm
Jan 29 2023 05:00pm
Quote (Handcuffs @ Jan 29 2023 05:33pm)
Can you share where you have done so? I've been going through your posts in this thread again, and all I can seem to find is you reiterating a disparity and the existence of 'black-on-black crime'; however, I don't see any thoughts shared for why the 'unique' phenomenon of black-on-black crime exists.

And my position is simple and I wish you could simply state yours as clearly as I do mine: Violence, and any disparity of such violence between so-called races, exists purely as a result of socio-economic reasons and if we addressed those underlying conditions we would see vast reduction in said violence.

Because the why is secondary to the discussion. Because the 'why' has been addressed a million times and there is no simple solutions. Because the whole point of you asking why is to shift blame and externalize it.

My position is simple and I wish you could simply accept it and not try to ask 'but why' in a endless loop: Blacks are over-represented in violent crime statistics, period. There are socio-economic reasons why that is but that doesn't somehow excuse the violent acts on a individual level because ultimately as a person with self will you decide what choices to make in life.

Simple example.

A black kid grows up in a single house hold because his dad left even before he was born. At 12 he starts selling drugs small time most of the time skipping school. Even before that age, his mom never placed much emphasis on him doing well academically and just let him grow up with little to no discipline, basically raised by the hood. By his early 20s he is selling hard drugs in bigger quantities and becomes gang affiliated. He eventually ends up killing some other black guy from a rival gang that was selling drugs on his corner.

The first 3 sentences are they "why" he got to the point but that doesn't serve as mitigant or a valid reason why society should say "oh well there are all these reasons why he turned out this way and ended up killing someone therefore it's not his fault"

Now apply this on a macro scale. The socio-economic issues plaguing inner city blacks are not all external things that you think daddy government can simply step in and somehow mitigate or fix. Social issues like family cohesion, fatherlessness, emphasis on education and discipline, etc. have to come from within. These issues can't be fixed with more money either. That's why pretty much every sociologist and politician understands these issues but decades later they are only getting worse no matter the amount of money we throw to fix it.

Gold: 260.11
Jan 29 2023 05:06pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jan 29 2023 05:00pm)
Because the why is secondary to the discussion. Because the 'why' has been addressed a million times and there is no simple solutions. Because the whole point of you asking why is to shift blame and externalize it.

My position is simple and I wish you could simply accept it and not try to ask 'but why' in a endless loop: Blacks are over-represented in violent crime statistics, period. There are socio-economic reasons why that is but that doesn't somehow excuse the violent acts on a individual level because ultimately as a person with self will you decide what choices to make in life.

Simple example.

A black kid grows up in a single house hold because his dad left even before he was born. At 12 he starts selling drugs small time most of the time skipping school. Even before that age, his mom never placed much emphasis on him doing well academically and just let him grow up with little to no discipline, basically raised by the hood. By his early 20s he is selling hard drugs in bigger quantities and becomes gang affiliated. He eventually ends up killing some other black guy from a rival gang that was selling drugs on his corner.

The first 3 sentences are they "why" he got to the point but that doesn't serve as mitigant or a valid reason why society should say "oh well there are all these reasons why he turned out this way and ended up killing someone therefore it's not his fault"

Now apply this on a macro scale. The socio-economic issues plaguing inner city blacks are not all external things that you think daddy government can simply step in and somehow mitigate or fix. Social issues like family cohesion, fatherlessness, emphasis on education and discipline, etc. have to come from within. These issues can't be fixed with more money either. That's why pretty much every sociologist and politician understands these issues but decades later they are only getting worse no matter the amount of money we throw to fix it.

It definitely can't be fixed simply with money. It has to be fixed by creating incentive structures that keep the money in the neighborhoods and builds them up.

Building a fancy new set of houses nobody can afford doesn't fix anything, but rezoning to allow businesses to be placed there, not actively abusing the population with racist laws, not actively and illegally stopping them from voting, and creating incentive structures for education definitely would.

I'm noticing these are all things conseravtives are against. Since they are explicitly pro gentrification, anti mixed zoning, pro drug laws and police abuse, pro illegal voter suppression, and anti public education.

Funny how that works. It's almost like one side doesn't have it exactly right but the other side (conservatives and Republicans) are actively and maliciously trying to make it worse.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev1161718192025Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll