d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Strategy & Guides > The Prospector > D2:R
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 9,026.50
Jan 19 2023 08:29pm
The Prospector

Most champions looking to Find Gold employ the aid of mercenaries to do the digging - but not you! You like to get your hands dirty. You prefer to work alone so others don’t slow you down!

The Build
The Prospector takes great pride in maximizing profits, while keeping costs low. You are efficient and able to clear a mine in under two minutes.

Grief Phase Blade
This weapon allows you to chop open those goldmines with ease! 32ias minimum allows you to hit your needed breakpoint for efficiency.

Rhyme Grim Shield
Not only does this shield protect you from thieves and Zealots, it protects you from the elements! You’ll never be FROZEN with this around, not to mention you’ll seem to find better items and more gold!

Blades of Ali Baba
Keep these around as backup for when the mine seems to be empty! You’ll find that when you hold these and yell at things more gold pops up - how cathartic! Use Lem runes or Ist runes for your preferred boost.

Immortal King’s Will
This flamboyant helmet will improve your ability to yell at things, and also increase your gold yield! Socket with Lems or PTopaz as you like.

Wealth Archon Plate
Who doesn’t want to be more wealthy? Really?

Chance Guards
The most obvious choice for the Prospector, these gloves drastically improve your ability to mine gold, and also help dog out a few nicer items now and then.

Metalgrid Amulet
The Jack-of-all-trades for neckwear, this pendant provides you three main benefits: Attack Rating, Defense, Resistance.

Dwarf Stars
These miniature stars allow you to deal with the heat you’ll encounter while mining, and also increase your Goldfind astronomically!

Goldwrap
Wrapped in gold? Sign me up! You’ll get your extra 10ias from this belt, and again, more Goldfind! (See a theme yet?)

Rare Boots / Infernostrides
Either will work, as long as they’re made to find gold! Just be sure you stack up your resistance to Fire as it gets hot down in the mines! Occasionally you’ll be susceptible to lightning as well, so be mindful of that - must be all that gold you’re carrying!

Torch
It gets dark down in those mines, so make sure to bring a torch to light your way!

Annihilus
No one really knows what this little blue gem does, but just put it in your pocket and forget about it.

Gheed’s Fortune
Gheed must have been a lucky man, as this charm allowed him - and now you - to find more gold, more items, and save you up to 15% on car insurance (and a couple other items)!

Goldfind Charms
Stuff your pockets with as many of these as you can carry! Some will offer some protection from the elements as well, so use these to augment any weak spots in your other gear.

Full Rejuv Pots
Mining is a tiring job. Be sure to have plenty of these on-hand to restore your youth! You’ll need 1-3 per mine.

The Spec

At 80 years of age, you’ve got the experience needed to go out on your own! Just make sure you’re prepared and have trained your abilities properly!

Berserk - 20 Points
The bread and butter of any Prospector. This ability will let you combine both physical and magic damage to bust open those mines with ease! Just make sure you have enough mana left or you’ll be slapping your wet noodle against the wall forever.

Battle Orders - 20 Points
Not only does this help make your Berserk more powerful, it increases your base statistics as well - and you’ll need all the help you can get!

Find Item - 1-7 Points
Want to turn each mine into two? This is your man! This ability caps out pretty quickly once you get all your gear on and Battle Command. Pre-buff while adding skill points until it no longer adds a percentage per level.

Find Potion - 20 Points
Helps your Find Item skill more than the skill itself at higher levels - how funny!

Blade Mastery - 10+
Play a little 5-on-1. The more you use your sword, the more efficient you become! Make sure you put 10 points here to start, more later if you prefer!

One Point Wonders
A little bit of research goes a long way! Just read the first page and you can throw out the book.
Battle Command
Increased Stamina
Increased Speed
Iron Skin
Natural Resistance

Remaining Points
All this mining given you so much experience you don’t know what to do with? The world is your oyster, my fellow Prospector! Put the points wherever you’d like!
Sword Mastery
Howl

Okay, not wherever you’d like - but at least you have two choices, right?

Stats!
The least important of all - stats! Put however many you’d like wherever you’d like. This is your life not mine.

Oh… you’re here for advice? My suggestion:

Strength to use gear and a bit more for fun if you want - 150ish
Dexterity to cut those mines in half and block attacks from thieves - 150ish
Vitality to stay alive in the fiery depths of the mine - the rest (250ish?)
Energy is useless. This is what… potions… are for.

Strategy
The best mines are found in Travincal, just outside the Durance of Hate.

You’ll find 10 or so mines there - three of them are real buggers. Kill any heirophants on the way, and everyone else will run in fear! Don’t stand in the fire. If you get overwhelmed, a good HOWL will cheer you up and give you some space to think and focus on a couple mines at once.

Don’t forget to yell at the empty mines with your Ali Baba’s out and you might find even more gold!

Good luck on your journey, Prospector!
Gold: 4,080.00
Warn: 20%
Jan 20 2023 02:50am
swap your metalgrid for highlords
cham your helm (just use a cham'd shako imo) and swap rhyme for an ali/6lem sword/6 ist sword
swap wealth for eni asap. improves your clear speed by a lot. not just by getting you to the council more quickly, but allows you to easily chase down the stragglers that you howl away.
Gold: 9,026.50
Jan 20 2023 09:39am
Quote (Dolphy @ 20 Jan 2023 01:50)
swap your metalgrid for highlords
cham your helm (just use a cham'd shako imo) and swap rhyme for an ali/6lem sword/6 ist sword
swap wealth for eni asap. improves your clear speed by a lot. not just by getting you to the council more quickly, but allows you to easily chase down the stragglers that you howl away.

I appreciate your insight, but the goal is efficiency and cost.

Enigma is entirely unnecessary for the space you’re moving, and I almost never have to howl or worry about chasing them down (when it’s TZ, the Zealots need to be howled away but that’s about it). Enigma is really only useful if you’re trying to move your merc around - another reason not to bother with one. Incredibly expensive and unnecessary.

Don’t need the deadly strike from highlords - they die in 2-3 hits. But resists are hard to come by cheap on other gear, as is attack rating. The defense is quite useful too paired with Rhyme.

Cham’d Shako doesn’t make much sense when IK helm gives so much more Goldfind and magic find. If you really wanted to use a second weapon instead of a shield, throw a Cham in the IK helm. But again, the shield offers nice resistances hard to get elsewhere, protection from physical attacks, and Goldfind and mf on its own. Again, budget is key here as well.

Thanks for reading though! :)
Go Back To Strategy & Guides Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll