d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > The Old Way
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 4.00
Jan 7 2023 06:27am
The little girl who plays his daughter has a couple funny lines, yet those funny lines aren’t worth the hour and a half of a time commitment.

There were some post edits and scene transitions that were objectively flawed (adds no value to a dialogue nor to the progression of the storyline), and subjectively Cage’s acting was terrible, even when taking away the “Western” details.

I left after an hour and twenty minutes in, which is twenty minutes longer than what Avatar 2 was able to do for me.

What did you all think of Nicolas Cage’s first Western?
Gold: 12,335.22
Jan 12 2023 01:16pm
I watched it yesterday I've gotta say most of your criticisms are on point. I guess I dont understand why they chose to hit so many western tropes but then not make the movie fun or campy in any way. Why bring in Nic Cage of all people to be a serious cowboy and never lose his shit and do some insane yelling like he's known for? Why even make this movie? The battle hardened old man and young innocent lady angle is kinda cool but put it against either True Grit movie and you realize how much better it can be done. Anyways I found it watchable enough, the girl is a pretty incredible actress and carries a bunch of the scenes. Maybe a 6/10 overall.

Spoilers:

I still dont understand some of the logic tho, why would you burn down your own house lol. I think it's some kind of western trope but I certainly dont get it. Why burn down the house and not the store too? If you run a store how are you so cash poor you cant buy a horse in town (even if it's mildly out of your way isnt that easier than relying on stealing one down the line while youre forced to walk or ride the horse with two people?). Also the character inconsistencies were annoying. "I was born different I never cried about anything" *proceeds to cry about things*.
Gold: 4.00
Jan 12 2023 01:20pm
Quote (BrianPeppers @ Jan 12 2023 12:16pm)
I watched it yesterday I've gotta say most of your criticisms are on point. I guess I dont understand why they chose to hit so many western tropes but then not make the movie fun or campy in any way. Why bring in Nic Cage of all people to be a serious cowboy and never lose his shit and do some insane yelling like he's known for? Why even make this movie? The battle hardened old man and young innocent lady angle is kinda cool but put it against either True Grit movie and you realize how much better it can be done. Anyways I found it watchable enough, the girl is a pretty incredible actress and carries a bunch of the scenes. Maybe a 6/10 overall.

Spoilers:

I still dont understand some of the logic tho, why would you burn down your own house lol. I think it's some kind of western trope but I certainly dont get it. Why burn down the house and not the store too? If you run a store how are you so cash poor you cant buy a horse in town (even if it's mildly out of your way isnt that easier than relying on stealing one down the line while youre forced to walk or ride the horse with two people?). Also the character inconsistencies were annoying. "I was born different I never cried about anything" *proceeds to cry about things*.

I didn’t understand the house burning either.

I loved the “wah wah my baby my baby” part haha.
Gold: 12,335.22
Jan 12 2023 01:27pm
Quote (r4f @ Jan 12 2023 12:20pm)
I didn’t understand the house burning either.

I loved the “wah wah my baby my baby” part haha.

LOL ya that was great. She has another scene down the line that you'd have liked towards the end but I can respect why you didnt stay.
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll