d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > First Time Buying Bitcoin
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 1,453.85
Dec 30 2022 03:43pm
Hello. I am a total beginner when it comes to bitcoin. I have a few questions:

1. What bitcoin wallet do you recommend? I don't have a cell phone, I will be doing all the buying and sending on my laptop. I don't need anything fancy, I will only be sending a small amount of bitcoin (worth about 90 CAD) every month. I need something that's very easy to use, very beginner-friendly, and secure. It's ok if it's a bit slower.

2. Is this a good place to buy bitcoin? https://buy.bitcoin.com/

3. How much are the transaction fees that I can expect each time I send bitcoin to someone? I will be sending like 90 CAD at a time.

4. Is it cheaper to buy a bigger amount of bitcoin at a time or is it better to do several smaller transactions?

5. Is bitcoin a good place for me to "park" my money? For example, let's say I have some spare cash. Can I just buy bitcoin and let it sit in my wallet without sending to anyone.

Thank you.
Gold: 12,797.00
Warn: 20%
Dec 30 2022 05:41pm
whenever i wanna "park" my money, i just buy canned food. it lasts for years, is actually usable, is stable as fuck with absolutely zero inflation no matter what happens :mellow:

the only problem is storage space, but oh well :wacko:

This post was edited by Snyft2 on Dec 30 2022 05:41pm
Gold: 6,071.69
Dec 30 2022 08:01pm
1.I use exodus wallet of my pc and I am thoroughly impressed.

2. Not sure i just use Coinbase (in the US), its been the safest for me.

3. It adjustable , sometimes its 7cents ranging to a few dollars. Most wallets let you set the rate. The less you pay the longer the txn takes.

4. I think its better if you send larger amounts. If u have alot of BTC send a test transaction first to make sure its going to the right destination.

5. Nobody knows, bitcoin is like the stock market, could go up could go down.

Hope that helped! GL

This post was edited by FlowingOakTree on Dec 30 2022 08:24pm
Dec 31 2022 09:59am
Quote (FlowingOakTree @ Dec 30 2022 06:01pm)
1.I use exodus wallet of my pc and I am thoroughly impressed.

2. Not sure i just use Coinbase (in the US), its been the safest for me.

3. It adjustable , sometimes its 7cents ranging to a few dollars. Most wallets let you set the rate. The less you pay the longer the txn takes.

4. I think its better if you send larger amounts. If u have alot of BTC send a test transaction first to make sure its going to the right destination.

5. Nobody knows, bitcoin is like the stock market, could go up could go down.

Hope that helped! GL

Thank you sir!

You said you used coinbase to buy bitcoin. So I went to their website to try to sign up. Unfortunately, they required a cell phone so they could send a security code to it, and I don't have a cell phone. But thank you nevertheless.
Gold: 201,760.00
Dec 31 2022 06:33pm
Quote (JessiWan @ 31 Dec 2022 17:59)
Thank you sir!

You said you used coinbase to buy bitcoin. So I went to their website to try to sign up. Unfortunately, they required a cell phone so they could send a security code to it, and I don't have a cell phone. But thank you nevertheless.

I support not using a cellphone. I prefer doing everything on my pc too but how do you get away with straight up not owning one?
Didn't you need one for the job applications a while ago?

You can always buy a throwaway sim card and a cheap phone and then turn it off when you don't need or use it if the reason you don't own one are privacy concerns or the fact that you don't want people to annoy you.

Edit: Maybe look into other popular cryptocurrencies for lower fees and faster transaction times. Fees are always a problem with bitcoin and is the reason they are more of a trading asset and investment instead of actual currency.

This post was edited by diablo_nostalgia on Dec 31 2022 06:43pm
Dec 31 2022 07:08pm
Quote (diablo_nostalgia @ Dec 31 2022 04:33pm)
I support not using a cellphone. I prefer doing everything on my pc too but how do you get away with straight up not owning one?

Hello.

For me personally, I don't use a cell phone to look for jobs. I do all my job-searching online, on my laptop. Just like you, I much prefer doing everything on my laptop.

You can always buy a throwaway sim card and a cheap phone and then turn it off when you don't need or use it if the reason you don't own one are privacy concerns or the fact that you don't want people to annoy you.

That's a good idea, I didn't know I could get a throwaway sim card.

I actually have a physical cell phone that I use for telling time and waking me up in the morning, it's my brother's old cell phone and it has no data. I don't have a functional cell phone because I want to have as few expenses as possible. Nobody ever calls me anyway, and if my boss needs to get a hold of me, we have a landline. So this way I save 30 dollars a month, which adds up quick.

Edit: Maybe look into other popular cryptocurrencies for lower fees and faster transaction times. Fees are always a problem with bitcoin and is the reason they are more of a trading asset and investment instead of actual currency.

There are indeed many different cryptocurrencies, and I am not married to bitcoin. However, the entity I wish to send money to, which is Gab.com, seems to only accept bitcoin. So I don't think I have much choice.
Gold: 6,071.69
Jan 25 2023 06:37pm
To edit my earlier post, it is actually the electrum wallet I meant as a great pc wallet. Never used the exodus wallet so I'm not sure how good it is.
Gold: 0.00
Feb 7 2023 10:48pm
There's a decent opsec guide to buying bitcoin that I can link if your interested.
Gold: 0.69
Warn: 40%
Apr 2 2023 03:04pm
Quote (Snyft2 @ Dec 30 2022 04:41pm)
whenever i wanna "park" my money, i just buy canned food. it lasts for years, is actually usable, is stable as fuck with absolutely zero inflation no matter what happens :mellow:

the only problem is storage space, but oh well :wacko:

Kinda gotta agree with this lol
Gold: 0.69
Warn: 40%
Apr 2 2023 03:05pm
Quote (diablo_nostalgia @ Dec 31 2022 05:33pm)

Canadian cell phones are fucking expensive / month
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll