d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Lotr: The Rings Of Power
Prev1252627
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 10,025.00
Oct 19 2022 01:11pm
Quote (SBD @ 18 Oct 2022 09:29)
Ill have to disagree here. Obviously its opinionated but if you read any amount of fantasy the writing was pretty horrible, combat was pretty horrible. Your investment overall into the characters felt low (having that issue with HoD as well).

Take something like the First Law Series, or The Red Knight (Traitorous Son Cycle) and then compare to the writing in this show and it really puts it into perspective how bad most episodes were.

Again its all opinion but I think the show is much closer to a 4-5/10. It's not a 1-2 like most troll reviews and its certainly not 8+ like the other troll reviews just trying to pump its ratings.

Even John Gwynne's series, The Faithful and the Fallen and Blood and Bone filled with all the typical tropes, exceeds the writing of this show by miles.

Ill even give the nod to Ember Blade over this.

At the end of the day if you're not someone who has a big library of fantasy the show could be fine for you. But if you do its a lot harder to watch imo.

"the show isn't as full of character development as books are" yeah no shit. Stupid af to compare books to live media. Especially in the age of streaming where you only get 8 episode seasons.
Gold: 12,335.22
Oct 19 2022 01:38pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Oct 19 2022 12:11pm)
"the show isn't as full of character development as books are" yeah no shit. Stupid af to compare books to live media. Especially in the age of streaming where you only get 8 episode seasons.

Yeah I'm with you. Them only having a billion dollar budget, SBD asking for character development is kinda fucked up tbh.

edit: lmfao after rereading SBD's post yours is even worse than I originally thought. Doesnt even gripe about character development, takes issue with the writing which is absolutely possible to translate from a book to the screen.

:rofl: no wonder youre so defensive on behalf of lowbrow television, it's made for people just like you

This post was edited by BrianPeppers on Oct 19 2022 01:42pm
Gold: 10,025.00
Oct 19 2022 02:05pm
Quote (BrianPeppers @ 19 Oct 2022 13:38)
Yeah I'm with you. Them only having a billion dollar budget, SBD asking for character development is kinda fucked up tbh.

edit: lmfao after rereading SBD's post yours is even worse than I originally thought. Doesnt even gripe about character development, takes issue with the writing which is absolutely possible to translate from a book to the screen.

:rofl: no wonder youre so defensive on behalf of lowbrow television, it's made for people just like you

Literary in his first paragraph "Your investment overall into the characters felt low (having that issue with HoD as well)."

Character investment happens through character development you troglodyte. He also generically says "bad writing" which, if he gave context, probably boils down to character development as well.

Also I know you far right idiots think money is God, but it doesn't matter how much money you have 8 hours is 8 hours.

Calling out bad criticism isn't the same thing as defending the opposition.

This post was edited by Blah58 on Oct 19 2022 02:05pm
Gold: 1.00
Warn: 10%
Oct 19 2022 04:10pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Oct 19 2022 01:11pm)

Not really. You just have to put less in a season and actually develop a story rather than rushing a mess and having some charging people over a landscape in a world you just made trivial. Slowing the pace of the unravelling of the story to better develop your cast and as a result having more episodes isn't a bad thing, and clearly they had/have the money for it.

Gold: 69.69
Warn: 30%
Oct 19 2022 07:40pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Oct 20 2022 09:05am)
Literary in his first paragraph "Your investment overall into the characters felt low (having that issue with HoD as well)."

Character investment happens through character development you troglodyte. He also generically says "bad writing" which, if he gave context, probably boils down to character development as well.

Also I know you far right idiots think money is God, but it doesn't matter how much money you have 8 hours is 8 hours.

Calling out bad criticism isn't the same thing as defending the opposition.

Nice logic "8 hours is 8 hours", "expecting character development from highest budget production in history from world renowned novel = far right".

I am here to criticize other people's criticisms
-Anime commie

This post was edited by addone on Oct 19 2022 07:42pm
Gold: 5,148.97
Oct 30 2022 10:34am
i got nightmares from galadriel trying to smile on horseback.
Gold: 0.00
Nov 29 2022 09:24am
i rewatched all of it, i rate it 10/10

oh'wait
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev1252627
Add Reply New Topic New Poll