d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 12,335.22
Jun 25 2022 07:14am
My god this movies bad.

I cant tell if it's stale "woke"-ness, was this movie so insufferable when it came out in 2017? There was so much potential from the trailer I remember watching and it's such a disappointment. There's some great scenes and some solid dialogue but it all gets dragged down. There's all these moments that take you out of the movie because it falls prey to the idea that it's better to tell the audience than it is to show them. Mildred cant just be a badass, she's gotta be a badass dressed like Rosie the Riveter "We Can Do It!" chick the whole fuckin time. They cant talk about the problems of a he-said-she-said scenario, they have to encounter it and then inform the audience that "this is just like all those rape cases." Yeah no shit. Thanks for stealing lines from tweets to fill the script of the movie. Maybe I'm overly critical and 5 years ago these were really poignant and brave things to throw in a movie but I have strong doubts about that.

I'm not quite done watching it yet but at least it's not all bad. It really nails the small town racism, theres some great shots like Mildred running between the billboards and her talking to the police chief in the interrogation room was a refreshing splash of cold water.
Gold: 0.80
Jun 25 2022 07:28am
Nah movie was great on release. Iirc was well received in general in these forums too.
Gold: 12,532.06
Jun 25 2022 07:37am
I have it my queue. I heard good things. It has Sam Rockwell. :banana:
Gold: 10,025.00
Jun 25 2022 01:26pm
Why is the new right wing Nazi thing saying that any media with a competent character who isn't a white man is full of "wokeness" and garbage? Jfc.
Gold: 63,142.89
Jun 25 2022 02:38pm
the only scene that I agree with your sentiment on was when she was monologuing about the "group culpability" of the Church for the molesters. That rant seemed unrelated to the rest of the movie, it was just using the anology as an excuse to throw it in.

Other than that scene, the rest of the movie was good and had lots of redeeming qualities.
Gold: 39,837.69
Jun 25 2022 05:59pm
Quote (BrianPeppers @ Jun 25 2022 08:14am)
My god this movies bad.

I cant tell if it's stale "woke"-ness, was this movie so insufferable when it came out in 2017? There was so much potential from the trailer I remember watching and it's such a disappointment. There's some great scenes and some solid dialogue but it all gets dragged down. There's all these moments that take you out of the movie because it falls prey to the idea that it's better to tell the audience than it is to show them. Mildred cant just be a badass, she's gotta be a badass dressed like Rosie the Riveter "We Can Do It!" chick the whole fuckin time. They cant talk about the problems of a he-said-she-said scenario, they have to encounter it and then inform the audience that "this is just like all those rape cases." Yeah no shit. Thanks for stealing lines from tweets to fill the script of the movie. Maybe I'm overly critical and 5 years ago these were really poignant and brave things to throw in a movie but I have strong doubts about that.

I'm not quite done watching it yet but at least it's not all bad. It really nails the small town racism, theres some great shots like Mildred running between the billboards and her talking to the police chief in the interrogation room was a refreshing splash of cold water.

Nah it’s a phenomenal film
Gold: 12,335.22
Jun 25 2022 09:24pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Jun 25 2022 12:26pm)
Why is the new right wing Nazi thing saying that any media with a competent character who isn't a white man is full of "wokeness" and garbage? Jfc.

It's just plain distracting. I'm not against strong female leads or pointing the fingers at the bad guys. What I'm against is looking at a checklist of current hot button issues and trying to hit them all in the dialogue of a film. If the he-said-she-said issue is THAT important then SHOW the audience the dangers of it. SHOW the audience how one character tries to make a point and is dismissed and later on in the movie they dismiss another character using the precedent. A perfect example would be juxtaposing her interactions with her ex-husband and the dentist. One persons word against another showing the power of a lie. Dont just drop "like all those rapes" as a gotcha to the problems that come from he-said-she-said scenarios especially because the real woke take is that there can be victims on both sides of this behavior. It doesnt come across as brave or educational, it feels like low brow pandering to audience members theyre hoping loudly whisper "fuck ya" after these lines drop.

Your accusation that I'm a right wing nazi because I find the dialogue jarring at times says a lot about you. Maybe youre so far left that the middle is the horizon and anything beyond that is impossible to differentiate.

Quote (Kayeto @ Jun 25 2022 01:38pm)
the only scene that I agree with your sentiment on was when she was monologuing about the "group culpability" of the Church for the molesters. That rant seemed unrelated to the rest of the movie, it was just using the anology as an excuse to throw it in.

Other than that scene, the rest of the movie was good and had lots of redeeming qualities.

That's a perfect example of the behavior I'm talking about, maybe that one stood out to you in particular but there's more than one point where this happens.

Quote (EmericAn @ Jun 25 2022 04:59pm)
Nah it’s a phenomenal film

Phenomenal? Not a chance. At least the last 30-45 min are strong (minus the ending which is pretty shit).
Gold: 12,532.06
Jun 26 2022 12:55pm
Quote (Blah58 @ 25 Jun 2022 12:26)

Implying someone is a nazi because they disagree with a movie is a stretch.
Gold: 2,094.99
Jun 26 2022 12:58pm
Great movie, based on a true story not far where I grew up in Texas

This post was edited by IgoSoHard on Jun 26 2022 12:58pm
Gold: 10,025.00
Jun 26 2022 03:53pm
Quote (BrianPeppers @ 25 Jun 2022 21:24)
It's just plain distracting. I'm not against strong female leads or pointing the fingers at the bad guys. What I'm against is looking at a checklist of current hot button issues and trying to hit them all in the dialogue of a film. If the he-said-she-said issue is THAT important then SHOW the audience the dangers of it. SHOW the audience how one character tries to make a point and is dismissed and later on in the movie they dismiss another character using the precedent. A perfect example would be juxtaposing her interactions with her ex-husband and the dentist. One persons word against another showing the power of a lie. Dont just drop "like all those rapes" as a gotcha to the problems that come from he-said-she-said scenarios especially because the real woke take is that there can be victims on both sides of this behavior. It doesnt come across as brave or educational, it feels like low brow pandering to audience members theyre hoping loudly whisper "fuck ya" after these lines drop.

Your accusation that I'm a right wing nazi because I find the dialogue jarring at times says a lot about you. Maybe youre so far left that the middle is the horizon and anything beyond that is impossible to differentiate.

That's a perfect example of the behavior I'm talking about, maybe that one stood out to you in particular but there's more than one point where this happens.

Phenomenal? Not a chance. At least the last 30-45 min are strong (minus the ending which is pretty shit).

Thanks for proving my point.
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll