d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Frame Time Spikes
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 275.00
Jun 7 2022 11:23pm

I have been getting crazy amounts of frame time spikes ever since I built my PC about a year ago. I have tried everything I can think of to solve this issue. Different combinations of Bios/drivers, reseting back to fresh windows install, CPU temps seem fine (about 65C while playing games). Is there something else that could be causing these issues? I have even tried a prebuilt but I'm still getting these weird frame time spikes. I've even tried my current PC at a friends house in a different town and get the same results. It makes my games almost unplayable since for a split second my games will drop from 240FPS -> 30FPS. I am not sure what to do at this point.

PC Specs:
EVGA 3070 ftw3
Ryzen 7 5800x
32Gb 3600Mhz Corsair Vengance RGB PRO ( 2 different 16Gig kits, 4x8Gb)
TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
iCUE H150i ELITE AIO
NZXT C750 ATX PSU
SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 1Tb

This post was edited by klo1822 on Jun 7 2022 11:24pm
Gold: 20,950.54
Jun 8 2022 11:32am
I am trying to figure out what you are using to measure the frametime - some things you can try though.

In GeForce control panel - go to power management mode and select prefer maximum performance.
Ensure your chipset drivers are up to date via AMD.
Download Ryzen Master and check if cores are sleeping when it drops (I had this and manually created a profile with my 5600x to be capable of 4.6 all cores with 1.21v it idles better and just in general clocks better when under load and its cooler all around to boot)
Download MSI afterburner and create a proper fan curve - should not need to touch clocks.
Jun 8 2022 10:09pm
Quote (Yurihyuga @ Jun 8 2022 01:32pm)
I am trying to figure out what you are using to measure the frametime - some things you can try though.

In GeForce control panel - go to power management mode and select prefer maximum performance.
Ensure your chipset drivers are up to date via AMD.
Download Ryzen Master and check if cores are sleeping when it drops (I had this and manually created a profile with my 5600x to be capable of 4.6 all cores with 1.21v it idles better and just in general clocks better when under load and its cooler all around to boot)
Download MSI afterburner and create a proper fan curve - should not need to touch clocks.

Thanks for your reply!

1) I was using msi afterburner for this.
2) I've tried every different kind of power management (even in geforce control panel) and nothing seems to change it
3) Latest chipset drivers and MoBo drivers.
4) No cores seem to be sleeping, although I have both overclocked/underclocked CPU and gotten the same results
5) Set up a fan curve and keep my CPU nice and cool. Undervolting my CPU keeps it around 50C while gaming and still the same results.

I have ran latencymon to try and diagnose some issues and get the typical: Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time Audio and other tasks. See the drivers below to see what was having the highest execution times. Seems like alot of things causing issues.

Jun 9 2022 06:21am
Have you downloaded the audio drivers provided by ASUS? Incorrect Audio drivers/using the ones provided by Microsoft can cause issues - unlikely to be your main problem but worth trying.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS/HelpDesk_Download/

One thing to know for sure if its a problem is disable onboard audio in your bios - while you will have no sound can see if you get the spikes. If you don't get the spikes at this stage try using the drivers from ASUS and if you get the spikes still you have an onboard audio issue and have a choice - RMA the board or just get a dedicated sound card which can be cheap if you only get a 5.1 surround without crazy features.
Jun 9 2022 11:17am
Quote (Yurihyuga @ Jun 9 2022 08:21am)
Have you downloaded the audio drivers provided by ASUS? Incorrect Audio drivers/using the ones provided by Microsoft can cause issues - unlikely to be your main problem but worth trying.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS/HelpDesk_Download/

One thing to know for sure if its a problem is disable onboard audio in your bios - while you will have no sound can see if you get the spikes. If you don't get the spikes at this stage try using the drivers from ASUS and if you get the spikes still you have an onboard audio issue and have a choice - RMA the board or just get a dedicated sound card which can be cheap if you only get a 5.1 surround without crazy features.

Hmm... I thought I had installed the audio drivers for my Mobo but it looks like the realtek audio driver wasn't installed when I checked my device manager. If this doesn't solve the issue I will try to go into BIOs and disable onboard audio. If I still continue to get spikes I guess I will try and get a sound card. I am just using a pair of HyperX Cloud's that plug in via USB, would a sound card work for those?
Jun 10 2022 05:06am
it won't work directly with a sound card but I have a hyperX headset and use a splitter to turn the one output to 2 and plug them into my sound card and it does sound better than using the usb sound card thing it comes with. You can also just plug it in directly with the one output but then you lose Microphone.

This post was edited by Yurihyuga on Jun 10 2022 05:06am
Jun 12 2022 02:51pm
Quote (Yurihyuga @ Jun 10 2022 07:06am)
it won't work directly with a sound card but I have a hyperX headset and use a splitter to turn the one output to 2 and plug them into my sound card and it does sound better than using the usb sound card thing it comes with. You can also just plug it in directly with the one output but then you lose Microphone.

Well, I tried what you said above and updating the drivers right from the Mobo website unfortunately didn't work. I also tried to just disable the on board audio via BIOS and that didn't work either. I am getting slightly less errors but I didn't test nearly as long this time. Do you know of any other troubleshooting steps I could take? I'm not even sure if this is the cause for the stutters but this is all I can think of... See image below:

This post was edited by klo1822 on Jun 12 2022 02:52pm
Gold: 0.00
Jun 12 2022 03:28pm
Quote (klo1822 @ 8 Jun 2022 00:23)
https://linustechtips.com/uploads/monthly_2022_03/image.png.3c7e8bd576e0a1cfcc82d4c84d4ff463.png

I have been getting crazy amounts of frame time spikes ever since I built my PC about a year ago. I have tried everything I can think of to solve this issue. Different combinations of Bios/drivers, reseting back to fresh windows install, CPU temps seem fine (about 65C while playing games). Is there something else that could be causing these issues? I have even tried a prebuilt but I'm still getting these weird frame time spikes. I've even tried my current PC at a friends house in a different town and get the same results. It makes my games almost unplayable since for a split second my games will drop from 240FPS -> 30FPS. I am not sure what to do at this point.

PC Specs:
EVGA 3070 ftw3
Ryzen 7 5800x
32Gb 3600Mhz Corsair Vengance RGB PRO ( 2 different 16Gig kits, 4x8Gb)
TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
iCUE H150i ELITE AIO
NZXT C750 ATX PSU
SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 1Tb

Corsair Vengeance ram has a lot of bad reviews, I'm suspecting that to be your issue.
Mixing Different Ram Clock Rates can also cause this issue.
The only other thing I can think of is if your CPU or GPU temp was over 74C , Because Some Motherboards have a Fail-Safe-System , That Temporarily Underclocks / slows your hardware to prevent Overheating.

This post was edited by conetopia on Jun 12 2022 03:44pm
Gold: 40,605.01
Jun 12 2022 04:52pm
Which BIOS version are you running? 4403?

This post was edited by Xet on Jun 12 2022 04:52pm
Jun 12 2022 08:19pm
Quote (conetopia @ Jun 12 2022 05:28pm)
Corsair Vengeance ram has a lot of bad reviews, I'm suspecting that to be your issue.
Mixing Different Ram Clock Rates can also cause this issue.
The only other thing I can think of is if your CPU or GPU temp was over 74C , Because Some Motherboards have a Fail-Safe-System , That Temporarily Underclocks / slows your hardware to prevent Overheating.

Well, recently I tried swapping my 4x8 ram for 2x16 G. Skill Trident Z 3600Mhz and the stutter was unfortunately still there. My current ones are the same type of kit and all 4 sticks running at 3600 Mhz. I have also ran memtest86 overnight with no failures. I'm not sure if that means my RAM is 100% good to go though...
I don't think that my CPU/GPU has reached that high while gaming, only doing stress tests. The crazy thing though is that while running bench marks (3D Mark/Heaven) my PC performance is normal/slightly higher than normal.

Quote (Xet @ Jun 12 2022 06:52pm)
Which BIOS version are you running? 4403?

I am currently on 4403 but have tried every BIOS from 3606 and up.
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll