d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Interview Advice?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 5,170.60
Feb 11 2022 08:53am
Anyone have any useful interview advice / recommendation on what to study up on?
My background is I’m 28 years old always worked in the oilfield since I was 18. 1 1/2 ago I finally decided to give it up and take a 2 year tech degree at a local college for programming (it’s what I’ve always wanted to do). Now i have an interview coming up in a few days for my first programmer job: The job title was .Net / Agile Boot developer - they were looking for someone with experience or schooling on .Net / C# / HTML and CSS. Personally I feel like my css and html knowledge is lacking- I feel like I have a decent grasp on c#.

And my resume due to doing contract work for 10 years looks like garbage. It’s all welding jobs and I’ve had so many jobs (the nature of the business.) you get a job work 3-8months depending on the project. U get laid off and go to the next so it looks like to people who don’t know that industry that I can’t stay at a job longer than 3ish months. Looking for advice on how to clear that up on my resume and things to look out for / questions that usually get asked or if they do like programming tests what type of things are usually on there? -thanks
Gold: 18,876.69
Apr 28 2022 12:35pm
Quote (thefusz2 @ Feb 11 2022 04:53pm)
Anyone have any useful interview advice / recommendation on what to study up on?
My background is I’m 28 years old always worked in the oilfield since I was 18. 1 1/2 ago I finally decided to give it up and take a 2 year tech degree at a local college for programming (it’s what I’ve always wanted to do). Now i have an interview coming up in a few days for my first programmer job: The job title was .Net / Agile Boot developer - they were looking for someone with experience or schooling on .Net / C# / HTML and CSS. Personally I feel like my css and html knowledge is lacking- I feel like I have a decent grasp on c#.

You were invited to an interview. No one would bother inviting someone and waste the time of the HR (during interviews, most of the time, there is a senior developer to assess you who has to be taken away from some other important job). Interviewing you costs them money. So they seriously consider hiring you after looking at your resume. Your job is to prepare for question regarding exactly what they look for: .Net / C# / HTML and CSS. You should convince them you're the one they're looking for. Look up as much as possible, also about the company. Don't be scared.
And my resume due to doing contract work for 10 years looks like garbage. It’s all welding jobs and I’ve had so many jobs (the nature of the business.) you get a job work 3-8months depending on the project. U get laid off and go to the next so it looks like to people who don’t know that industry that I can’t stay at a job longer than 3ish months.

If they care, they're going to ask you why you were changing your jobs often. You should prepare your answers in the line it's natural in that branch. Sound as logical and nonchalant as possible.
Looking for advice on how to clear that up on my resume and things to look out for / questions that usually get asked or if they do like programming tests what type of things are usually on there? -thanks

They could ask you anything. There is no draft unless you can find the content in the WWW. What the senior developer is going to do is to ask you some cases regarding programming or knowledge you should have and about practical skills ( What you've programmed or created so far). If you have anything written I'd upload on github for easy access.

Good luck!
Gold: 447.40
Apr 28 2022 03:57pm
The best advice, regardless of job, but especially in the business world, is to ask questions regarding the job and company to show I interest. Also, do research on the company and try to tie what you learned about the company into the interview question somehow.

Also, if you are truely interested When the interview ends, express excitement for the opportunity to join their team at the conclusion of the interview.

No one wants to make an offer and then get turned down. It’s a physiological boost to the company interviewing you that you are interested.

My first job out of college was working for a recruiting agency focused on engineering talent. Feel free to pm me any specific questions.

Gold: 466.99
Apr 29 2022 07:05am
Assert dominance. Tell them how you think C# is a shitty language. Should get the ball rolling pretty good.
Gold: 261.69
May 1 2022 04:42pm
You're brand new in the field and a mature student.

Your path to success is mass interviews and trying to differentiate yourself from all the 20 tear olds in the same position as you. Sell your maturity and you'll get the entry level job over the kids with the same credentials 10 times out of 10.
Gold: 48,445.00
May 24 2022 09:13pm
Talk about design patterns, that should do the trick.
Gold: 5.00
Jun 1 2022 10:03am
cracking the coding interview may be helpful for you
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll