d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Computer Building > What Do You Guys Think Of This Build?
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 231,782.70
Jan 12 2022 09:57am
It's a rough draft kinda lol

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

My main concerns are:
- is the 2 16gb memory sticks plenty of memory for gaming and lots of internet browsing?
- is it better to have two different storages? one to put OS and install stuff on then the rest other storage for games and stuff?
- i've always bought gold+ certified psu and never had any issues, but just want to make sure i'm not being cheap on it.
- are liquid cpu coolers worth it?

- any recommendations to improve the specs or lessen the cost are obviously welcome

It's been about 4 years since my last computer purchase so kinda rusty on the specs haha
Will gladly tip fgs for any help! :}
Jan 12 2022 10:57am
woops think the link was bad lel sorry

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hDLKJf

This post was edited by SkillRincer on Jan 12 2022 11:23am
Gold: 796.00
Jan 12 2022 01:36pm
Quote (SkillRincer @ Jan 12 2022 10:57am)

My main concerns are:
- is the 2 16gb memory sticks plenty of memory for gaming and lots of internet browsing?
- is it better to have two different storages? one to put OS and install stuff on then the rest other storage for games and stuff?
- i've always bought gold+ certified psu and never had any issues, but just want to make sure i'm not being cheap on it.
- are liquid cpu coolers worth it?

1. I would consider 32GB plenty for gaming and web browsing.
2. yes, that is a better way to do things rather than have everything on one big drive.
3. gold+ is the sweet spot IMO, it's fine to go with that
4. I would always go with a high-end heatsink, and stay away from the closed loop liquid coolers.
Gold: 40,605.01
Jan 12 2022 02:31pm
1) Yes, two 16GB is more than good enough for streaming, gaming, and browsing. I do that myself and had to upgrade from 16GB to 32GB.

2) In a matter of saving/preserving data, yes two storage devices is a good practice. But...when you end up re-installing the OS, you have to re-direct everything to the way you had it set up and that's a pain. You'll save time by not downloading as much as you need to...but you do have to put in the work to pointing to that new storage device after you reformat/reinstall the OS. For personal media (personal sex tapes, self nudes, etc.) would go into the separate storage. For games...maybe. My games are on the OS device. My personal media is also on the OS device but backed up routinely (on schedule).

3) Gold is sufficient, but keep in mind that gold does not always equal quality. You can have a unknown/shit manufacturer making gold rated PSU. You picked Corsair and that's a known and good brand to go with.

4) If you don't mind the noise, AIO cooler is good. I personally use Noctua's heat sink & fan to reduce the noise and it's almost as good as an AIO. But just how much louder is AIO compared to a traditional heat sink? Not signifcant...but if your computer is your bedroom and on 24/7, you'll hear it.
Jan 12 2022 03:56pm
Quote (purplex @ Jan 12 2022 12:36pm)
1. I would consider 32GB plenty for gaming and web browsing.
2. yes, that is a better way to do things rather than have everything on one big drive.
3. gold+ is the sweet spot IMO, it's fine to go with that
4. I would always go with a high-end heatsink, and stay away from the closed loop liquid coolers.

Quote (Xet @ Jan 12 2022 01:31pm)
1) Yes, two 16GB is more than good enough for streaming, gaming, and browsing. I do that myself and had to upgrade from 16GB to 32GB.

2) In a matter of saving/preserving data, yes two storage devices is a good practice. But...when you end up re-installing the OS, you have to re-direct everything to the way you had it set up and that's a pain. You'll save time by not downloading as much as you need to...but you do have to put in the work to pointing to that new storage device after you reformat/reinstall the OS. For personal media (personal sex tapes, self nudes, etc.) would go into the separate storage. For games...maybe. My games are on the OS device. My personal media is also on the OS device but backed up routinely (on schedule).

3) Gold is sufficient, but keep in mind that gold does not always equal quality. You can have a unknown/shit manufacturer making gold rated PSU. You picked Corsair and that's a known and good brand to go with.

4) If you don't mind the noise, AIO cooler is good. I personally use Noctua's heat sink & fan to reduce the noise and it's almost as good as an AIO. But just how much louder is AIO compared to a traditional heat sink? Not signifcant...but if your computer is your bedroom and on 24/7, you'll hear it.

ok this is my revised list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Rwdc68

and took into consideration what you guys said above, tyyy

how does this look?
- went with 2x 16gb ram sticks
- have a 500gb storage ssd and a 1tb ssd storage...ssd is always preferred now i take it...even to put games on. correct me if im wrong pls haha
- changed the heatsink to a noctua seems like a higher quality one..if im wrong correct mee
- for the motherboard i just need one that is good for gaming...but not to over clock...if the one i picked out is missing something lmk

also to upgrade to windows 11 says the pc needs to support "secure boot" and "TPM 2.0"...my current computer is around 6 years old and i dont think it has either of those..
is there a way to tell if this new pc supports those two things?

This post was edited by SkillRincer on Jan 12 2022 04:05pm
Jan 12 2022 04:26pm
Quote (Xet @ Jan 12 2022 03:31pm)

for OP to read:

2. it's also "faster" to have separate drives, although in most cases you won't notice. I don't think it's too much of a pain during a re-installation though, you want to be sure to actually format/reinstall windows on the right disk.. but after that it shouldn't be a big deal. for example if you had your steam library on the data drive and had to reinstall the OS you could simply reinstall the games through steam using the data drive as the destination again, and it will detect/incorporate the old game files. the other data is likely just your standard assortment (music, Xet's personal sex tapes, etc) and can be easily managed/left alone during the reinstallation if it was on the data drive. you should definitely be doing regular backups of anything you can't lose, and probably also before you attempt anything that you feel out of your comfort zone in (e.g. reinstalling windows). it also matters what the drives are, you'll likely see better performance having a given program be on an NVMe SSD over a SATA-based one, than you would running that same program on a SATA-based SSD just to reduce stress on the drive.

4. the noise is for sure is something to consider, even without the noise factor though air is more compelling. I find cleaning air coolers much easier for one. once you reach the point where you've saturated the liquid the AIO doesn't justify itself. when you factor in the chance of a leak, the onus is really on the AIO coolers. I would only use an AIO cooler if I had to make a certain form factor/case work, or if I knew I would somehow be unable to have proper airflow. i second noctua, if you want something that looks better look at something like the dark rock pro 4 .
Jan 12 2022 04:28pm
Quote (SkillRincer @ Jan 12 2022 04:56pm)
ok this is my revised list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Rwdc68

and took into consideration what you guys said above, tyyy

how does this look?
- went with 2x 16gb ram sticks
- have a 500gb storage ssd and a 1tb ssd storage...ssd is always preferred now i take it...even to put games on. correct me if im wrong pls haha
- changed the heatsink to a noctua seems like a higher quality one..if im wrong correct mee
- for the motherboard i just need one that is good for gaming...but not to over clock...if the one i picked out is missing something lmk

also to upgrade to windows 11 says the pc needs to support "secure boot" and "TPM 2.0"...my current computer is around 6 years old and i dont think it has either of those..
is there a way to tell if this new pc supports those two things?

i'll look at the build, but on the TPM note the answer is yes it will. also your 6 year old computer could support it, it might be disabled in BIOS. right click on the start menu, and click run.. then type "tpm.msc" - the window that pops up should tell you if you have it.. if it says no then check your bios for the TPM settings, it might also be under a different name but something related to security.. knowing your specific mobo would let us/you look it up.
Jan 12 2022 04:39pm
You downgraded from 11th Gen Intel to 10th Gen. And you picked Samsung 980. While it will work...you're not taking full advantage. 10th Gen Intel does not have PCIe Gen4. So it won't take full advantage of the read/write speeds of Samsung 980. 970 will take full advantage because that is Gen3, while 980 is Gen4.

For your OS storage, 250GB is enough...if you have the money or whatever, sure, get a 500GB. I personally would go for a Samsung 970 Evo 2TB (Amazon has it for $220 USD), your original configuration.

Double check the Noctua website for heat sink compatibility. Not in terms of fitting but being able to cool sufficiently. I'm not sure if the U9 will be enough for an Intel i9.

You mentioned gaming and do you use Bluetooth connection for your controller? If yes, then you lost Bluetooth with your newer motherboard selection. You'll have to buy an add-on card for WiFi/Bluetooth. These typically are a combo.
Jan 12 2022 04:59pm
I noticed you saved around $200 USD from your original list to your new list. To help you reduce costs, below are my suggestions from your original list.

CPU cooler
Go for Noctua NH-D15 or BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 or Scythe Fuma 2.

RAM
It's out of stock right now on Amazon but wait for the Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz C16. If you want fancy colors, go with the Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600MHz C16. This will be cheaper than Corsair counterpart but you need to be be on the look out.

Storage
If you really want two separate storage devices, go with Samsung 970 Evo model of 250GB ($53 USD) and 1TB ($122) on Amazon.

PSU
You can downgrade to 650W (minimum requirement for the the upper models of RTX 3060).

OS
We cannot advertise the links here but if you watch tech folks on YouTube, they're advertising cheap product keys. I've used them myself and they are those global/international volume license keys at a huge discount.
Jan 12 2022 05:10pm
Quote (Xet @ Jan 12 2022 05:39pm)
You downgraded from 11th Gen Intel to 10th Gen. And you picked Samsung 980. While it will work...you're not taking full advantage. 10th Gen Intel does not have PCIe Gen4. So it won't take full advantage of the read/write speeds of Samsung 980. 970 will take full advantage because that is Gen3, while 980 is Gen4.

For your OS storage, 250GB is enough...if you have the money or whatever, sure, get a 500GB. I personally would go for a Samsung 970 Evo 2TB (Amazon has it for $220 USD), your original configuration.

Double check the Noctua website for heat sink compatibility. Not in terms of fitting but being able to cool sufficiently. I'm not sure if the U9 will be enough for an Intel i9.

You mentioned gaming and do you use Bluetooth connection for your controller? If yes, then you lost Bluetooth with your newer motherboard selection. You'll have to buy an add-on card for WiFi/Bluetooth. These typically are a combo.

I think I would go with the 10900k and the 2TB 970 (adding another 2TB later is more optimal here).. but the 11th gen is a good choice too. for me, multiple VMs or two games + tabs/media streams (spotify, Xet's personal tapes plex server) would warrant the extra cores and less latency over the IPC gains from the 11th gen. you should get the NH-U14S cooler.

edit: don't go to 650w, stay at 750/850w gold, or at least if you do need to save that amount of money there's other places it should be saved first. edit2 to recognize that the 650w might be the most common pick here, I don't mean to say it's wrong..

This post was edited by purplex on Jan 12 2022 05:24pm
Go Back To Computer Building Topic List
1236Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll