d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > I Have To Jumpstart My Computer Any Ideas Why?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.64
Dec 25 2021 03:10pm
So this is weird i have an old motherboard one of the caps might have died or maybe a micro fracture or something.

anyway 2 months back i started getting power issues it would shut of randomly usually when i was asleep.

Then one day it would not turn on at all even thou the on board power button had a red power light going to it (this is normal)

it would do nothing i tried everything from purchasing a new power supply to taking it all apart and putting it back together a dozen times and resetting the bios etc.

so i took the 24 pin connector shown in this diagram and with an external power switch i spliced it together with the (PS-ON) and Bridge pins which would allow me to forcefully turn on the computer.

ofc the motherboard and fans came on but the cpu light was on and the monitor did not come on.

i then left it like that for 10 min and disabled the external switch and to my surprise the computer turned on like normal and that on board power switch worked like normal.

i still get random shut ofs if im there i can turn on the computer like normal but if its of for a few hours i need to "Jumpstart" the computer again for it to work.

this is why i think its possibly a bad cap or something like that.

Any ideas?

This post was edited by serpin on Dec 25 2021 03:16pm
Gold: 40,605.01
Dec 27 2021 01:20pm
Need clarification on "disabled the external switch". I have no idea what this is referring to...

I'm assuming you also tried using a different 24-pin cable and different PSU?
Dec 30 2021 10:23am
So i crimped on an external flip power switch to the 16 and 17 pins usually this is just used with a paper clip to test if a power supply is good

but i instead crimped on that power switch to thouse pins and pluged that 24 pin back into the motherboard and fliped thouse on forcing the power supply to think i was turning it on from the motherboard

TL;DR this External switch is the flip power switch

This post was edited by serpin on Dec 30 2021 10:23am
Gold: 40,605.01
Dec 30 2021 10:09pm
I think somewhere along the motherboard, a connection is loose/damage. You shouldn't have to resort to all these tricks if you swapped out a known good cable and PSU.

Getting it to turn on thru such forceful means may work for now, but I'm a bit concerned later on, down the road.
Dec 31 2021 01:10am
Quote (Xet @ Dec 30 2021 09:09pm)
I think somewhere along the motherboard, a connection is loose/damage. You shouldn't have to resort to all these tricks if you swapped out a known good cable and PSU.

Getting it to turn on thru such forceful means may work for now, but I'm a bit concerned later on, down the road.

yah i have no idea its an old motherboard might have a microfracture somewhere or a bad cap but the onboard power switch works like normal after

idk whats going on
Gold: 164.00
Jan 1 2022 02:17am
Just don't accidentally jump start it with the pins upside down... or kaboom. Did you try jump starting it by shorting the on/off power pins first? Maybe you have a short along the PC case's power switch.
Gold: 13,379.06
Jan 1 2022 12:12pm
Are you using jumper cables?
Jan 1 2022 01:14pm
Quote (Black_Flame @ Jan 1 2022 01:17am)
Just don't accidentally jump start it with the pins upside down... or kaboom. Did you try jump starting it by shorting the on/off power pins first? Maybe you have a short along the PC case's power switch.

i did ofc nither worked even thou i was getting power atleast to the onboard power switch it would not power on i tried just about everything taking out ram reseating the cpu i even purchased a new power supply and swaped out all cables for new ones same problem

i even changed out the battery and reset the bios still no normal power on its only after i "Jumped" the 16 and 17 pins with my own power switch the motherboard got power but even thou the motherboard got power the cpu light came up red and there was no video

after leaving it alone for 10min i disabled that switch and it was able to turn on like normal with the onboard power button
Jan 1 2022 01:15pm
Quote (Sturmgeist @ Jan 1 2022 11:12am)
Are you using jumper cables?

haha pretty much
Gold: 164.00
Jan 1 2022 02:44pm
Quote (serpin @ Jan 1 2022 11:14am)
i did ofc nither worked even thou i was getting power atleast to the onboard power switch it would not power on i tried just about everything taking out ram reseating the cpu i even purchased a new power supply and swaped out all cables for new ones same problem

i even changed out the battery and reset the bios still no normal power on its only after i "Jumped" the 16 and 17 pins with my own power switch the motherboard got power but even thou the motherboard got power the cpu light came up red and there was no video

after leaving it alone for 10min i disabled that switch and it was able to turn on like normal with the onboard power button

Weird. I've had similar issues with overclocked ASROCK boards, one day I change a part and it dies, but sputters back to life occasionally. Some Mobo's need a keyboard and mouse to be plugged in before booting, but it sounds like you have a similar issue to mine. Could be a dead CMOS battery, don't recall if you said you tried swapping a new one in.
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll