d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2: Resurrected > D2:R Discussion > How I Lost Everything In My Character Inventory
12312Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 7,062.33
Dec 5 2021 09:31pm
Hey All,

I write this as a cautionary tale, hoping that it does not ever happen to anyone else.

After crafting 100 Caster amulets, I went to check several of my other mules. Every single amulet was awful and I knew I had a few more amethysts on another character with runes elsewhere. When I returned to my main character, I noticed that several of my amulets were missing. I saved 3 that were ok and arranged the remaining 97 in a shared stash tab where it was evident that 5 scattered amulets were missing.

And to my absolute horror, my entire personal inventory was missing. All of my charms including my paladin torch and Annihilus were missing.

I was in shock. This was absolutely devastating. I was freaking out and filled with panic. This happened a week and a half ago and I would be lying if I told you I wasn't still upset about this. I logged out/logged back in frantically.

I tried to submit a 'ticket' but the Blizzard system will triage you in a circuitous loop where all you can do is post about it on the bug forums: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d2r/t/entire-inventory-disappeared-after-crafting/69371/

I also posted about it on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/r1ieym/bug_entire_inventory_disappeared_after_crafting/

I told my friends playing with me, "I'm fine. I'll recover. It sucks but it's just a game." But honestly, I haven't been the same and haven't been able to bring myself to write about it until now. Even as I recount this, there's a sickening pit in my stomach that just fills me with an indescribable frustration.

I have screenshots and video of the crafting (which also shows my full inventory of charms). Below are two representative screenshots.
1) The first is a shot from right before the crafting where I arranged everything neatly over 4 stash tabs. You can see that I have an inventory of small charms, a torch, and Anni.
2) The second shows 5 missing amulets out 97 as well as a completely empty inventory.

I know I'm not alone and definitely not the first in this happening, but mine looks to be one the most severe case with documentation. Many have reached out to me saying it happened to them as well eg) lost items randomly, lost uniques on full mules.

Apparently this is a known bug and has to do with hitting the 8KB file limit on your character. Crafted material takes up a substantial amount of space due to all of the text.
When they increased the stash space, they didn't increase the character file size limit. I don't know the threshold, but I can tell you that 100 amulets is well over the limit.

Despite being an experienced player, it's been a bit of a rough journey since I started D2R. I made the critical mistake of beginning with a paladin first, only to watch in frustration as friends who are new players and veterans alike surpass me in every way with their sorceresses. I was hoping to catch up by crafting amulets which turned into an utter disaster as you can see. And if you're wondering, all of the amulets were horrible to add insult to injury, the best being a 2/15 sorc with nothing else on it.

All I did was craft some amulets, an action within the game. And was punished for it severely.

The only silver lining I can find is that I can raise awareness about this game-breaking bug so that it does not happen to anyone else.

TLDR: Crafted 100 amulets. Entire inventory deleted from exceeding the 8KB character file size limit.

This post was edited by Anomalous1436 on Dec 5 2021 09:32pm
Gold: 0.00
Dec 5 2021 09:32pm
this is what took me out of the game last month, sorry man
Dec 5 2021 09:33pm
Quote (ray4782 @ Dec 5 2021 10:32pm)
this is what took me out of the game last month, sorry man

You definitely know the pain then Ray. Sorry to hear about your case as well.

Can you tell us what happened?
Gold: 38,605.01
Dec 5 2021 09:34pm
Yep.... Just.... Yep..... Sorry :(
Gold: 7,875.00
Dec 5 2021 09:36pm
Just a game no point in taking years off your life stressing it
Dec 5 2021 09:40pm
Quote (skave9er @ Dec 5 2021 10:36pm)
Just a game no point in taking years off your life stressing it

You are absolutely right and I agree. I told myself the exact same: It's just a game. It's just a pile of pixels. Who cares? I'll get it all back.

But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still upset by this.

Now I'm using every platform I can to inform others so this preventable event doesn't happen to anyone else.
Gold: 0.00
Dec 5 2021 09:42pm
Quote (Anomalous1436 @ Dec 5 2021 10:33pm)
You definitely know the pain then Ray. Sorry to hear about your case as well.

Can you tell us what happened?

My story was pretty simple. I had a fully geared blizzard sorc (10k blizzard damage, 300 magic find, max resistances) and I saved up all the stuff to do a big crafting load.

As you can imagine, I did the crafting, saved a bunch of rings for future characters/giving away to noobs, decided to enjoy them the next day and signed off.

The night morning I signed on to find tons of items of value missing. SOJ, nice sorc torch, nice anni, gear swaps, my CTA, just most of my gear gone. At the time it was roughly 10k fg. I sold everything I did have left for 3k fg and quit. Now I browse discussion to warn people asking crafting questions
Dec 5 2021 09:46pm
Quote (ray4782 @ Dec 5 2021 10:42pm)
My story was pretty simple. I had a fully geared blizzard sorc (10k blizzard damage, 300 magic find, max resistances) and I saved up all the stuff to do a big crafting load.

As you can imagine, I did the crafting, saved a bunch of rings for future characters/giving away to noobs, decided to enjoy them the next day and signed off.

The night morning I signed on to find tons of items of value missing. SOJ, nice sorc torch, nice anni, gear swaps, my CTA, just most of my gear gone. At the time it was roughly 10k fg. I sold everything I did have left for 3k fg and quit. Now I browse discussion to warn people asking crafting questions

Wow, this is unbelievable. I'm filled with this wave of dread reading your words as the story is so similar to my own. Thanks for sharing.

Keep warning others. I will certainly be doing the same.
Gold: 31,738.69
Dec 5 2021 09:47pm
sorry you got boned
drop bad crafts on the ground everyone
Gold: 466.99
Dec 5 2021 09:48pm
That's brutal af, WTF

Sorry man

This post was edited by ChocolateCoveredGummyBears on Dec 5 2021 09:48pm
Go Back To D2:R Discussion Topic List
12312Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll