d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Computer Building > Watercooling Questions
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 3,826.00
Oct 21 2021 06:42am
Hey all, i'll post this here.

I got the following setup:

Ryzen 3600x
    32gb 3200mhz cl16 ram (ripjaws)
    RTX 3090 FE GPU
    1tb nvme SSD
    MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI MB

All of this works very well together, however I feel like my GPU is an obvious overkill for my setup and is overheating especially if i push resolution to 4k and high refresh rates. I don't do any graphics rendering or ML work, just some casual gaming here and there.

I want to buy a water-cooling solution, but I feel like I'm not really bottlenecked by my 3600x and its not very power hungry to be water-cooled- therefore I want to purchase a standalone AIO solution for 3090FE. Would that be a good idea?

1) Is it worth getting just the GPU cooled? I don't feel like i need one for my CPU. I will get one if I upgrade my CPU in the future.
2) How hard would it be to install for somebody who has never done any water-cooling before? I'm a bit afraid to disassemble my GPU and mess with repadding/repasting/not leaking cooling fluid all over my system.
3) Is it easier to maybe just change 3090FE thermal pads and keep stock cooler on?

I saw this great deal based on Bykski's active backplate which I'm thinking of buying (N-RTX3090FE-TC). It has 240mm rad which should be enough to handle the heat produced by 3090FE.

Perhaps can help me with this? :)

This post was edited by Malopox on Oct 21 2021 06:43am
Gold: 18.00
Oct 21 2021 06:50am
hey dude i wouldnt touch the thermal pads and replace them unless you have the EXACT size dimensions as they are tricky on the FE cards as they use about 3 different sizes. If you get the wrong sizes it wont make contact and you'll BORK the card.. 3090 cards run hot under air cooling man thats why i always watercool them. If your going with the bykski rad setup make sure you place 2x fans on the radiator and you have enough room to mount the card, as the tubes i'm not sure the lenth of them? You could try mount the rad on the bottom of the case since your going to remove the AIR COOLER which is quite chunky and place the rad on the bottom of the case and have the fans blowing coild air through the rad to cool the GPU..

As for installing and dissembling its pretty easy dude, byski should provide instructions plus theres alot of good guides on youtube. Just make sure you monitor temps idle and under load... dont forget the fans on rad too, without them the gpu block wont get cool as you cool the rads with the fans, and the rad then cools the GPU :)

EDIT (just noticed the rad has fans, so scrap that.. just mount on the bottom of the case if it fits, since it's only a 240mm rad )
Gold: 84.10
Oct 21 2021 01:14pm
if thats your setup you need new case

or new wc solution

Gold: 3,826.00
Oct 22 2021 08:02am
Quote (Gosu_god87 @ 21 Oct 2021 14:50)
hey dude i wouldnt touch the thermal pads and replace them unless you have the EXACT size dimensions as they are tricky on the FE cards as they use about 3 different sizes. If you get the wrong sizes it wont make contact and you'll BORK the card.. 3090 cards run hot under air cooling man thats why i always watercool them. If your going with the bykski rad setup make sure you place 2x fans on the radiator and you have enough room to mount the card, as the tubes i'm not sure the lenth of them? You could try mount the rad on the bottom of the case since your going to remove the AIR COOLER which is quite chunky and place the rad on the bottom of the case and have the fans blowing coild air through the rad to cool the GPU..

As for installing and dissembling its pretty easy dude, byski should provide instructions plus theres alot of good guides on youtube. Just make sure you monitor temps idle and under load... dont forget the fans on rad too, without them the gpu block wont get cool as you cool the rads with the fans, and the rad then cools the GPU :)

EDIT (just noticed the rad has fans, so scrap that.. just mount on the bottom of the case if it fits, since it's only a 240mm rad )

Thanks. I have ordered the thermalright xfx pads and paste and EK-CryoFuel and will probably do it next weekend or the weekend after. Hope I will not to screw up.

Quote (yupitsmeh @ 21 Oct 2021 21:14)
if thats your setup you need new case

or new wc solution

Don't think so. I should have enough clearance to put rad up front as GPU stock cooler is massive. The actual FE board (even with watercooling heatsinks) is much smaller.

This post was edited by Malopox on Oct 22 2021 08:02am
Gold: 84.10
Oct 22 2021 01:57pm
Quote (Malopox @ Oct 22 2021 09:02am)
Thanks. I have ordered the thermalright xfx pads and paste and EK-CryoFuel and will probably do it next weekend or the weekend after. Hope I will not to screw up.

Don't think so. I should have enough clearance to put rad up front as GPU stock cooler is massive. The actual FE board (even with watercooling heatsinks) is much smaller.

The Granzon rad and pump aio you have pictured? Fit vertically in that space?

Gold: 3,659.00
Oct 22 2021 02:34pm
It is definitely worth getting the CPU water cooled. You want to get that heat out of the case. You are definitely going to want a bigger case and more Rad space. A 240mm AIO is constructed with aluminum. I always recommend open loop WC because generally they are of copper/brass (nearly twice the thermal conductivity as aluminum) and running a cpu/gpu in a water cooling setup you’re looking at a 360 rad minimum. I’d personally do 240 and a 360 In full tower

It’s not hard removing a cooler from the GPU. If you have built the Pc you’re using it will be cake walk.

Constructing an open loop setup is extremely easy with soft tubing. Use compression fittings and use a D5 variable pump. Don’t mess with PWM it’s a pain in the butt.
Oct 22 2021 08:16pm
custom Air cooler is fine, it's your 3090 FE which is toasty.. There very hot cards man, you would need a minimum 240 just to cool that bad boy... its dual thermapaste on gpu and back side.. very hot card my friend
Oct 22 2021 08:17pm
Quote (Malopox @ Oct 23 2021 01:02am)

pretty sure that AIO watercool byski block already comes with fluid, you just attach the waterblock and boom.. Has a in built pump with it too
Gold: 796.00
Oct 22 2021 09:03pm
I say why not cool the CPU, the whole thing is a novelty so might as well go all the way with it.
Go Back To Computer Building Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll