d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Investment & Finance > Fundalemtals Are Useless : Change My Mind.
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 260.11
Jul 9 2021 04:47pm
Quote (Bjorni @ Jul 9 2021 05:45pm)
Did I say I cracked the secret formula for gains? The entirety of this post is to point out that fundamentals are always after the fact and lagging...
I never claimed to have the secret goose egg strategy, all I said is that trading fundamentals is useless if your know how to read price action. That's just a fact.. and you can argue it all you want, but the reality of price is that it trades level to level/if this then that.

Is price showing accumulation? Did we gain support? Then we trade towards support lost. Did we gain support lost? No, then we trade back to untested level. Did we gain support? Yes, then we trend back. Rinse hands and repeat. Price moves level to level, regardless of fundamentals/news. You can literally see this in the BABA chart I linked.

I will not share my portfolio, you and I both know that's not smart. I have two brokerages public already, and they are for futures trading only. The rest will remain private.

Also, I don't think it would hurt if more people learned how to trade price properly. It definitely wouldn't hurt the strategy at all if that's what you mean.

There's more to fundamental analysis than the current earnings report. You are focusing on a short time horizon when you say this. If you are expecting to hold for a decade then it doesn't matter if orders were locked in a week ago.
Gold: 55.00
Jul 9 2021 05:00pm
Quote (NetflixAdaptationWidow @ Jul 9 2021 03:47pm)
There's more to fundamental analysis than the current earnings report. You are focusing on a short time horizon when you say this. If you are expecting to hold for a decade then it doesn't matter if orders were locked in a week ago.

https://www.tradingview.com/x/Jyl8pBSi/

you can't make this shit up dude... time doesn't matter.

E: If using fundamentals is what you use in your tool kit to trade, by all means do that. I'm not saying there isn't a place for fundamentals, they've served their purpose and have for the centuries. What I am shedding light on is there are more efficient ways with real time data to base your trades off of, you don't have to wait for someone to tell you something before you make a bias, you can look at that historical price data and make a bias of your own, and then if you really wanted to, when the fundamentals did come out, you could create some sort of confirmation bias if you so pleased, but you don't need fundamentals anymore to create an accurate theory of the direction of price.

It is important to know when things are getting delisted, that is for sure, as-well as if there is going to be a virus that spreads into a plandemic, sure. So there is a place for fundamentals. The discussion is referring to trading price vs trading fundamentals.

This post was edited by Bjorni on Jul 9 2021 05:25pm
Gold: 10,151.00
Jul 9 2021 05:33pm
Quote (Bjorni @ Jul 9 2021 06:45pm)
Did I say I cracked the secret formula for gains? The entirety of this post is to point out that fundamentals are always after the fact and lagging...
I never claimed to have the secret goose egg strategy, all I said is that trading fundamentals is useless if your know how to read price action. That's just a fact.. and you can argue it all you want, but the reality of price is that it trades level to level/if this then that.

Is price showing accumulation? Did we gain support? Then we trade towards support lost. Did we gain support lost? No, then we trade back to untested level. Did we gain support? Yes, then we trend back. Rinse hands and repeat. Price moves level to level, regardless of fundamentals/news. You can literally see this in the BABA chart I linked.

I will not share my portfolio, you and I both know that's not smart. I have two brokerages public already, and they are for futures trading only. The rest will remain private.

Also, I don't think it would hurt if more people learned how to trade price properly. It definitely wouldn't hurt the strategy at all if that's what you mean.

This isn't true though, and there are dozens of examples you can point to every quarter. You could have a stock be in a steady uptrend, above its 20, 50, 200, whatever other positive technical you want to point too and they report earnings. Let's say the miss guidance and surprise to the downside. Technicals fly out the window at that point. No one cares about the positive uptrend and you might get some huge red candles that could possible blow past the 20, 50, 100, whatever moving average whatever bollinger band, etc

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Jul 9 2021 05:38pm
Gold: 55.00
Jul 9 2021 05:42pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jul 9 2021 04:33pm)
This isn't true though, and there are dozens of examples you can point to every quarter. You could have a stock be in a steady uptrend, above its 20, 50, 200, whatever other positive technical you want to point too and they report earnings. Let's say the miss guidance and surprise to the downside. Technicals fly out the window at that point. No one cares about the positive uptrend and you might get some huge red candles that could possible blow past the 20, 50, 100, whatever moving average.

Give me a blue chip that you're in, and I'll show you.

E: I dont use any indicators, or moving averages, I look strictly at price.

This post was edited by Bjorni on Jul 9 2021 05:45pm
Gold: 10,151.00
Jul 9 2021 05:54pm
Quote (Bjorni @ Jul 9 2021 07:42pm)
Give me a blue chip that you're in, and I'll show you.

E: I dont use any indicators, or moving averages, I look strictly at price.

Show me what? It's easy to Monday morning qb and look at a historical chart and point to where there was support holding or a stock breaking below.

Technical analysis is not a science, if it was everyone would use it and only make money. Not saying it doesn't work, because it does sometimes and I personally use it for entries and i've used it when trading options but it doesn't always predate fundamentals. If it did, there would never be surprises to the downside/upside based on things like earnings or news coming out.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Jul 9 2021 05:54pm
Gold: 4,200.69
Warn: 20%
Jul 9 2021 10:17pm
Fundamentals = long term investing

Technicals = short term trading
Gold: Locked
Jul 10 2021 02:04am
PDT is the only way to make good money. Unfortunately I don't reaaaally qualify for trader status, so once I get to $3000 losses it's nearly impossible to make money cause I can't deduct any more losses on stcg.
Gold: 0.00
Warn: 80%
Jul 10 2021 05:41am
Quote (HeadConcert_com @ Jul 10 2021 01:04am)
PDT is the only way to make good money. Unfortunately I don't reaaaally qualify for trader status, so once I get to $3000 losses it's nearly impossible to make money cause I can't deduct any more losses on stcg.

What is PDT?
Retired Moderator
Gold: 37,910.00
Trader: Trusted
Jul 10 2021 10:56am
Quote (DiamondHands @ 10 Jul 2021 04:41)
What is PDT?

Pattern day trader rule. Investors/traders in the US are limited to 3 trades a week I think it is unless you maintain a balance over $25,000. Such a dumb rule lol.

To OP I think as others may have touched on depends on your time frame of your investment/trading and your style or personality. For me my swing trading and buy and hold I’m pretty much 90-95% technical and the difference fundamentals. I don’t think fundamentals are useless but just doesn’t fit with my trading style
Gold: Locked
Jul 10 2021 12:25pm
Quote (RatM @ Jul 10 2021 09:56am)
Pattern day trader rule. Investors/traders in the US are limited to 3 trades a week I think it is unless you maintain a balance over $25,000. Such a dumb rule lol.

You can do unlimited cash trades regardless of how much you have, that rule is only for borrowing or margins. If you're going to live off PDT though you'll want more than $25k to use anyway though.
Go Back To Investment & Finance Topic List
Prev12345Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll