d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Seeking Suggestions Regarding Coding Bootcamps
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2.00
Warn: 20%
Jun 28 2021 11:28pm
What coding bootcamps include housing and/or are able to receive funding from FAFSA? I'm trying to get a fresh start and would prefer to get into software engineering or cyber security. Any ideas? Thanks.
Gold: 534.20
Aug 6 2021 04:28pm
Same here dude
It's hard to get a solid answer.
From what I can tell, Java and C++ is still widely used, but not necessarily the future of either industries. I believe independent software development will be a tougher but more rewarding. Cyber security, most like you'll be working for an employer. Might leave you feeling unsatisfied with what you are tasked with. Cyber security is much more in-depth and you will always be learning new things (and almost certainly working for someone else) whereas independent development you might be less or more successful, but you can work in which ever direction suites you most.

Just my 2 cents, this is what I have heard in other forums.
Gold: 0.00
Aug 8 2021 03:51pm
I would definitely not use Fafsa for a coding bootcamp.

I graduated one 2 years ago and got a job as a web developer, however I am within the 20% of students from my cohort who did. I would recommend going to a coding bootcamp if you're dedicated, not gaming at the time and you know you are going to be in the top 10% of students in your class.

My path:
1. work 50-60 hours a week til I saved up $12k ish. Use spare time teaching yourself coding (I did this while making $14/hour)
2. Once you have enough saved up to cash flow the bootcamp and have learned what you can on your own, enroll.
3. Make sure that your in the top 10% of your cohort. I started with 50 students, half dropped out, 22 graduated, and I was 1 of 2 people to get a job within the first couple months of graduating. Some of the other students got a job 3-6 months after the bootcamp.

No matter what, it's going to be a tough path to get a job without a cs or equivalent degree

This post was edited by KronikSmoker on Aug 8 2021 04:12pm
Gold: 2.00
Warn: 20%
Aug 8 2021 06:09pm
UPDATE
Thank you for this detailed advice everyone. I've signed up with Thinkful and will acquire the living stipend of $1500/month upon completion of my prep course (five month program). I've been approved for the living stipend and was very fortunate in that aspect. Early September, I'll begin getting the stipend. For now, I'm doing labor in exchange for room/board. I'm also completing the prep course and serving tea to people on Halo: Reach. Life is well.

Quote (Soloplex @ Aug 6 2021 06:28pm)
Same here dude
It's hard to get a solid answer.
From what I can tell, Java and C++ is still widely used, but not necessarily the future of either industries. I believe independent software development will be a tougher but more rewarding. Cyber security, most like you'll be working for an employer. Might leave you feeling unsatisfied with what you are tasked with. Cyber security is much more in-depth and you will always be learning new things (and almost certainly working for someone else) whereas independent development you might be less or more successful, but you can work in which ever direction suites you most.

Just my 2 cents, this is what I have heard in other forums.

I got it. :)

Quote (KronikSmoker @ Aug 8 2021 05:51pm)
I would definitely not use Fafsa for a coding bootcamp.

I graduated one 2 years ago and got a job as a web developer, however I am within the 20% of students from my cohort who did. I would recommend going to a coding bootcamp if you're dedicated, not gaming at the time and you know you are going to be in the top 10% of students in your class.

My path:
1. work 50-60 hours a week til I saved up $12k ish. Use spare time teaching yourself coding (I did this while making $14/hour)
2. Once you have enough saved up to cash flow the bootcamp and have learned what you can on your own, enroll.
3. Make sure that your in the top 10% of your cohort. I started with 50 students, half dropped out, 22 graduated, and I was 1 of 2 people to get a job within the first couple months of graduating. Some of the other students got a job 3-6 months after the bootcamp.

No matter what, it's going to be a tough path to get a job without a cs or equivalent degree

This is a solid strategy, but too late for me to apply most of it and/or my variables/factors are different.

This post was edited by net on Aug 8 2021 06:10pm
Gold: 4.00
Aug 9 2021 11:22am
Quote (net @ Aug 8 2021 05:09pm)
UPDATE
Thank you for this detailed advice everyone. I've signed up with Thinkful and will acquire the living stipend of $1500/month upon completion of my prep course (five month program). I've been approved for the living stipend and was very fortunate in that aspect. Early September, I'll begin getting the stipend. For now, I'm doing labor in exchange for room/board. I'm also completing the prep course and serving tea to people on Halo: Reach. Life is well.

I got it. :)

This is a solid strategy, but too late for me to apply most of it and/or my variables/factors are different.

Best of luck, and looking forward to reading your progress.
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll