d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Diablo II > Diablo 2 Discussion > Next Step For A Clrush Sorc
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 20.00
Jun 29 2021 07:35am
Quote (Korb @ Jun 29 2021 01:49am)
Iratha sorc with 800 life has 5333 HP effective HP against any kind of elemental damage. = 800 / 0.15

To match that with @75 resist, you need 5333 * 0.25 = 1.333 life! An extra 533 life from gear! :wacko:
Using Darkglow armor @80___5333 * 0,2 = 1066. An extra 266 but a crappy armor to start.
Using hots roughly @78.75___5333 * 0.2125 = 1,133 life, or an extra 333 (Same with Hawkmail)
Using hots + Nako @80 ____5333 * 0.2 = 1066. An extra 266 but missing out on massive amu stats.
Hawkmail + Hots @82.5_____5333 * 0.175 = 933 life, and extra 133 life (crappy armor and slow boots though)

So according to arithmetic the last one is the absolute strongest sorc that is possible, with 2 cheap uniques to start! But without max block, it's worthless frankly.

So this only leaves sorc + hots but 333 life is a tall order to get from gear, with twitch it's impossible ... by my estimate. Meaning best you can do is trade HP for +skills, even if you break the bank.

TLDR BELOW

You know that's a good point, I never thought about it in terms of an effective life calculation

However I'd consider the sources of elemental damage that you might run into in a game, let's assume for a crush sorc rushing to a4 hell but not doing chaos in classic because I believe this is most common. Only a few bamf sorc solo hell CS
Let me know if I missed anything notable

Cold:
Duriel's holy freeze melee attack
Mephisto's frost nova, blizzard, 50% skull missle
Heirophant blizzard in travincal
Nm cold oblivion and abyss knights
Summoners glacial spike
Toorc death nova

Lightning:
Fangskin
50% of nm diablo lightning hose
Lightning enchanted monsters notably at travincal
Mephistos charged bolt and lightning
Afflicted missiles in catacombs
Scarabs in maggot lair

Fire:
Diablo various attacks
Trav hydras
Ghoul lords will run into these in a1-3 various fire attacks
Summoners firewall
Venom lord inferno

Poison:
Andariel
Tentical monsters at trav
Mephisto farts
Cold worm the maggot and maggots in general
Some monsters random melee attacks
Oblivion knights

Now let's consider these threats from a 75% all resist to an 85% all resist scenario

I can easily disregard the benefit of 85 poison resist due to the fact that almost all poison can be negated with a simple health potion
Reduce poison length is nice but really poison is only annoying and not really a serious threat, not to mention antidote potions. That being said I'd still go for 75 max

Next up of the cold damages I would say that duriel's attack and meph skull missiles are the most dangerous, and if you plan to face tank meph I do see benefit of the 85 max cold, however at 75 resist with how fast duriel dies and the interval of mephs cold attacks I think 75 cold is sufficient in my experience

The lightning damages do also benefit from the 85 max, however mephistos charged bolt is the only real threat in my opinion and once again my experience is that 75 max can deal with it

Fire resist to me is the big one, having the 85 greatly helps but in my opinion is only needed at hell trav, there fore I recommend having hotspurs as a switch. All other areas are doable at 75

With all that being said my biggest issue is when shields block interrupts teleport cast animation and i get trapped in a herd of monsters. The number 1 mod to consider is 30% faster block rate combined with shiver armor to avoid this issue, and even with that you can still get caught by certain mobs. This is one reason you might actually consider running a low block build, for example a 3 socket kite shield without twitch, however there is no 100% solution except switching to a staff build which I dont recommend without energy shield and DTM due to the melee damages.

I honestly dont think fhr is needed because the animation only happens when you loose more than 16% life and with max resist and high life I dont even know when that could happen in pvm.

Gold: 812.00
Jun 29 2021 03:09pm
So I'm not going to disagree, since your reply is more of a comment. The numbers speak for themselves.

If we ignore Def-rating, then Block rate is basically similar to physical resistance, and you can calculate effective HP accordingly. (x4) IMHO it's completely OP, especially since there are no dex requirements and similar LOD-type BS.

Looking at the OG builds in the trophy rooms max avialable life would be.

40+40 rings
40 bloodfist
98 armor
60 belt
78 helmet
60 amu
10 cthons
-------------
(minus rings and boots )

Makes 336 which basically breaks even: Iratha (HP) @85 = Rare + hots. @78.75

Anyway I pulled that 800 Life number out of my ...
...memory. I'm not sure when a Soso reaches that point. Ratha sorc gets more proportionally powerful with 40life rings and higher level still.

If one really wanted a math challege one could calculate that point/level when additive live bonuses@75 are beaten by the multiplicative 85% res. awesomeness. But because of the high level requirements for those high life items, the level window if it even exists is pretty small.

It's a different story for PVP obviously, having to deal with phys damage and lower cold res skills.
Jun 29 2021 03:52pm
Quote (Korb @ Jun 29 2021 02:09pm)
So I'm not going to disagree, since your reply is more of a comment. The numbers speak for themselves.

If we ignore Def-rating, then Block rate is basically similar to physical resistance, and you can calculate effective HP accordingly. (x4) IMHO it's completely OP, especially since there are no dex requirements and similar LOD-type BS.

Looking at the OG builds in the trophy rooms max avialable life would be.

40+40 rings
40 bloodfist
98 armor
60 belt
78 helmet
60 amu
10 cthons
-------------
(minus rings and boots )

Makes 336 which basically breaks even: Iratha (HP) @85 = Rare + hots. @78.75

Anyway I pulled that 800 Life number out of my ...
...memory. I'm not sure when a Soso reaches that point. Ratha sorc gets more proportionally powerful with 40life rings and higher level still.

If one really wanted a math challege one could calculate that point/level when additive live bonuses@75 are beaten by the multiplicative 85% res. awesomeness. But because of the high level requirements for those high life items, the level window if it even exists is pretty small.

It's a different story for PVP obviously, having to deal with phys damage and lower cold res skills.

Well I agree with you on your numbers, my point was when I'm rushing someone the amount of times I'm faced with an elemental damage I cant heal out of is very minimal, so even though the 85% resist is better on paper, I'm willing to sacrifice it for stats and skills and other mods like DTM

If your goal is to build the ultimate tank, then yes your logic is perfect, but I never found myself needing to go to that level.
My bigger issues were running out of mana or dealing with cold immune mobs at the summoner and orifice and fangskin on the alter. Basically my issues were more providing the absolute optimal rush for the leecher rather than making my sorc the ultimate tank

Whenever I rushed I really only was at risk of dying in hell trav and also a blind tele into just the right mob, although back in the day auto tele eliminated that danger.

So really my point is asking you or anyone else, do you need that 85 to rush effectively?
Iratha offers unparalleled value for the insane mods and low price but it comes at the cost of some other mods such as
30% faster blocking
DTM
+skills/stats rares
Magic find ( for weirdos like me that use it on quest drops)
Gold: 5.00
Jun 29 2021 04:30pm
Quote (SagittariusA @ Jun 29 2021 11:52pm)

Iratha offers unparalleled value for the insane mods and low price but it comes at the cost of some other mods such as
30% faster blocking
DTM
+skills/stats rares
Magic find ( for weirdos like me that use it on quest drops)

out of those four, only FBR sounds enticing tbh, mainly because it can help with those unfortunate blind teles. mana pots cover any mana issues perfectly for me (granted, I do use map reveal so ymmv), blizzard pretty much oneshots everything that's not a boss and MF is just extra
Gold: 812.00
Jul 2 2021 07:46am
Here's an idea, iratha sorc with goldskin and sigon shield, almost max block, +1 skill and she also looks the part of a Tiger Tank. Maybe with a str ring or something, if you have that sort of thing lying around.

This one can also test if block (faster blockrate) is even an issue, because I don't remember it ever being one.

Names that come to mind: BabyBump, TigerTigerTigeeer, StretchMark, NeverForgets
Gold: 2.00
Jul 2 2021 09:22am
like mentioned above by SIVIART iratha sorc needs fhr on armor/shield/boots ditch twitch/ward for items with fhr

This post was edited by Sin2112 on Jul 2 2021 09:24am
Jul 2 2021 10:15am
Quote (Sin2112 @ Jul 2 2021 08:22am)
like mentioned above by SIVIART iratha sorc needs fhr on armor/shield/boots ditch twitch/ward for items with fhr

Fhr for what? What engages fhr animation when you run 85% resists?

The only think I can think of maybe the claw viper knock back if you have a bad tele

Shield block animation will be what gets you killed if anything at all. Stil very rare
Gold: 2.00
Jul 2 2021 10:40am
Quote (SagittariusA @ Jul 2 2021 11:15am)
Fhr for what? What engages fhr animation when you run 85% resists?

The only think I can think of maybe the claw viper knock back if you have a bad tele

Shield block animation will be what gets you killed if anything at all. Stil very rare

if you do not have fhr you WILL get stuck in mobs and die!
Jul 2 2021 11:06am
Quote (Sin2112 @ Jul 2 2021 09:40am)
if you do not have fhr you WILL get stuck in mobs and die!

Fhr only engages when a hit does approximately 16% of you total life in damage, let's say your ira sorc has 800 life, that's around 128 damage.

With 85 resist all, no elemental damage can come close to that.
So what physical damage does?
Outside of claw vioer charges which is due to knockback rather than the damage.

Shield block animation is always slower than hit recovery and is usually what can cause tele to be interrupted since almost nothing is going to proc your hit recovery animation in a crush
Gold: 418.00
Jul 2 2021 12:43pm
Quote (SagittariusA @ Jul 2 2021 07:06pm)
Fhr only engages when a hit does approximately 16% of you total life in damage, let's say your ira sorc has 800 life, that's around 128 damage.

With 85 resist all, no elemental damage can come close to that.

I don't know how much uncapped res an iratha sorc has, but a conviction aura around may occasionally matter (can go up to -75%).
Fortunately, it's one of the rarest auras.

Quote (SagittariusA @ Jul 2 2021 07:06pm)
So what physical damage does?
Outside of claw vioer charges which is due to knockback rather than the damage.

AD curse may sometimes matter.
Also, don't underestimate our beloved blunderbores|gorebellies|urdars.
Those have a chance to do CBs, that are added to their regular damage.

This post was edited by xhul on Jul 2 2021 12:50pm
Go Back To Diablo 2 Discussion Topic List
Prev123Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll