d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Laptop Runs Slow / Laggy Not Plugged In
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 2,677.00
May 19 2021 06:06pm
Hey everyone,

Looking for some computer help. I tried Google and showed me how to fix, but for some reason I cannot make the changes Google suggest on my laptop

When my laptop is plugged in, all games run smooth
When my laptop is not plugged in, everything runs super slow and crappy.

I read online that it drops my gpu or video settings. I cannot figure out how to change this.
I want my laptop to run at the same settings plugged in or not.

Can anyone assist?

Specs:

Legion y540-171RH
Installed RAM 16 GB
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60 GHz
Windows 10 Home
Gold: 40,605.01
May 19 2021 07:17pm
This sounds like normal behavior/settings for laptops, especially gaming laptops. If you change this setting your battery will not last more than an hour, unless it's a big battery or if you're conservative with your graphic settings.

Lenovo should have a built in software that allows power control or performance mode. Search for that. Otherwise, you can manually change it through the Control Panel --> Power Options or thru NVidia Control Panel.

I can't give you step-by-step directions because I use a desktop not a laptop. My gaming laptop is stashed away somewhere.

For NVidia Control Panel, it should be under Manage 3D Settings, the global settings tab, then look for power management. Make sure it's on maximum performance or something like that.

You can also ensure that the game you're playing always uses your dedicated GPU thru the second tab, program settings tab. Find the game under #1 and then under #2, look for power management.

This post was edited by Xet on May 19 2021 07:28pm
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll