d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Investment & Finance > Bitcoin
Prev13456720Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Feb 8 2021 07:31pm
Quote (thesnipa @ Feb 8 2021 03:26pm)
BTC has a limited quantity, unlike FIAT money which can just be printed at the will of a federal reserve. that's value added, scarcity is good in commodities.

BTC's price, well above its usage of it's block chain, is 2 fold. it's the first mover in the space, and also a store of value for many people who wont sell it, driving up more scarcity.

"its the money of the people" talk is usually the kind of thing i roll my eyes at a bit, but as a currency it's not controlled by a government and can't be inflated into death.

ahahahahahahahahaahahah. wewlad

Any coin can be made in a limited quantity but yeah, I agree, it's a store of value for now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm bullish on BTC in the short-term because at current prices unless you invest a significant portion of money it's not going to provide a substantial return; thus no point in selling.
IE: average person invests $300 @45k & BTC runs to 500k. Their investment is only ~$3,000. That's a great return depending on the time frame but it's only $3k at some unknown point-in-time.

Crypto and blockchain are still new & I think it's insane to think 3, 5, 10+ years from now there won't be a coin that will overtake Bitcoin.
Gold: 334,413.14
Feb 9 2021 12:11am
Quote (seekingpower @ 8 Feb 2021 21:34)
Bitcoin continues to have appeal for anyone who wants to bet that central banks will debase fiat currencies. And some big institutions, desperate for anything that might produce a return in current conditions, are beginning to dabble in it. The problems with it remain: Bitcoin has no intrinsic value, and governments may fight hard to keep their monopoly over issuing currency.

>will

will guys..

Yeah, how about they have been for decades, the purchasing power of the dollar is down 99%.
Gold: 69.69
Warn: 40%
Feb 9 2021 11:57am
Quote (seekingpower @ Feb 8 2021 08:34pm)
Bitcoin continues to have appeal for anyone who wants to bet that central banks will debase fiat currencies. And some big institutions, desperate for anything that might produce a return in current conditions, are beginning to dabble in it. The problems with it remain: Bitcoin has no intrinsic value, and governments may fight hard to keep their monopoly over issuing currency.

Sounds like something an average peasant would say 300 years ago on idea of paper money coming on market instead bag full of coins
Gold: 11,571.00
Feb 9 2021 12:19pm
Quote (SylvesterStallone @ Feb 9 2021 12:57pm)
Sounds like something an average peasant would say 300 years ago on idea of paper money coming on market instead bag full of coins

Paper money was/is based on the power of government to collect money in the form of taxes.

Bitcoin is not backed by any entity nor has any intrinsic value.

I’m bullish Bitcoin and I’m holding some but there is a risk that other coins can take its place. The inherent tech behind bitcoin being blockchain can be replicated. All it would take is for a bunch of big enough entities to push another blockchain ‘coin’ long enough to usurp BTC.
Gold: 69.69
Warn: 40%
Feb 9 2021 12:50pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Feb 9 2021 06:19pm)
Paper money was/is based on the power of government to collect money in the form of taxes.

Bitcoin is not backed by any entity nor has any intrinsic value.

I’m bullish Bitcoin and I’m holding some but there is a risk that other coins can take its place. The inherent tech behind bitcoin being blockchain can be replicated. All it would take is for a bunch of big enough entities to push another blockchain ‘coin’ long enough to usurp BTC.

wasn't comparing two, but just the statement guy gave.
these currencies could easily take over the world in terms of being main currency for paying things.
elon is already accepting bitcoin if you're buying tesla cars, and that's fkn huge.
i can see many big companies following his example, which only makes it a question of time when we'll buy with crypto vallets in local Lidl
Gold: 11,996.69
Feb 10 2021 07:21am
when quantum crypto
Gold: 4.77
Feb 10 2021 01:08pm

BITCOIN GAMER STRATEGY
Gold: 1.00
Warn: 10%
Feb 10 2021 03:43pm
I have never sunk more than 30 minutes looking into bitcoin to be honest. What is the short version of what it could mean for payment transaction companies like PayPal? Would that middleman disappear, if its still needed it would still need to charge fees which is something Bitcoin is trying to get around isn't it?

This post was edited by SBD on Feb 10 2021 03:44pm
Gold: 5.00
Feb 10 2021 08:28pm
Quote (SBD @ Feb 10 2021 03:43pm)
I have never sunk more than 30 minutes looking into bitcoin to be honest. What is the short version of what it could mean for payment transaction companies like PayPal? Would that middleman disappear, if its still needed it would still need to charge fees which is something Bitcoin is trying to get around isn't it?

Means PayPal and Central Banks are obsolete unless they embrace or destroy the cryptocurrency model.

PayPal is 'embracing' bitcoin by supporting it, but they do not actually allow users to have their own wallets. They would still charge a fee with w/e model they are going for, its not the intended implementation.

Either way, there is still a middleman in the sense that each wallet platform has fee rates for various transaction scenarios.

The awesome part of bitcoin is the de-centralized nature, and concise transactions from source to destination. None of this centralized middleman business.

This post was edited by RedFromWinter on Feb 10 2021 08:29pm
Gold: 1.00
Warn: 10%
Feb 10 2021 09:22pm
Quote (RedFromWinter @ Feb 10 2021 07:28pm)
Means PayPal and Central Banks are obsolete unless they embrace or destroy the cryptocurrency model.

PayPal is 'embracing' bitcoin by supporting it, but they do not actually allow users to have their own wallets. They would still charge a fee with w/e model they are going for, its not the intended implementation.

Either way, there is still a middleman in the sense that each wallet platform has fee rates for various transaction scenarios.

The awesome part of bitcoin is the de-centralized nature, and concise transactions from source to destination. None of this centralized middleman business.

That's where my confusion spurred from. PayPal is embracing but if it was a fully functioning currency as envisioned it would eliminate them so I was lost.
Go Back To Investment & Finance Topic List
Prev13456720Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll