d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Programming & Development > Looking For A Mentor In Machine Learning Or Ds
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 300.00
Jan 6 2021 04:35am
Hello jsp,
So I recently graduated with a degree in Applied Machine Learning but since I was just rushing through getting my requirements done in time for graduation, I don't have much experience besides the various traditional projects that I feel aren't worth putting on my resume. My github is honestly pretty empty, and my goal is to do some projects that I can showcase and hopefully get a job in the field of Machine Learning or at the very least Data Science.

I am looking for someone with experience in Data Science (or Machine Learning) who I can ask various questions to. I am looking for someone preferably who is currently working in the industry because much of my questions revolves around the day-to-day work that a typical ML engineer or analyst does. If you don't work in the industry but also know a lot just about Machine Learning or if you're a Python genius, I would love to also make connections as well. My goal is to have people who I can ask questions to (I use stackoverflow and etc but a lot of my questions are some times so dumb that they don't get pushed through by the mods). I promise to compensate with fgs (we can talk about the details) once we establish a relationship.

Thank you!
Gold: 2,935.00
Jan 6 2021 01:50pm
It can be fairly varied, I think even a technical position where you build on predictive models requires a good head for analytics and the will to understand whatever domain your company/client is in. Basically a lot of analysis instead of building models.

in general for Python I'd just say that if there's one of these packages that you don't know, you should get familiar with them yesterday:

Numpy
Seaborn/Matplotlib
Pandas
sklearn/SciPy
Keras/Tensorflow or PyTorch

This post was edited by Klexmoo on Jan 6 2021 01:50pm
Gold: 300.00
Jan 6 2021 02:23pm
Quote (Klexmoo @ Jan 6 2021 11:50am)
It can be fairly varied, I think even a technical position where you build on predictive models requires a good head for analytics and the will to understand whatever domain your company/client is in. Basically a lot of analysis instead of building models.

in general for Python I'd just say that if there's one of these packages that you don't know, you should get familiar with them yesterday:

Numpy
Seaborn/Matplotlib
Pandas
sklearn/SciPy
Keras/Tensorflow or PyTorch

I am very familiar with these packages.

Right I figured a lot of the work in ML isn't about building a model and tweaking hyperparameters, etc. but about understanding the business problem.

Do you work in ML?
Gold: 2,935.00
Jan 6 2021 03:07pm
Quote (Regargar @ 6 Jan 2021 21:23)
I am very familiar with these packages.

Right I figured a lot of the work in ML isn't about building a model and tweaking hyperparameters, etc. but about understanding the business problem.

Do you work in ML?

Not right now, but I have experience in it and have discussed quite extensively with data scientists that work with space at my last job (stuff like this https://sci.esa.int/web/hubble/-/explore-the-hubble-catalog-of-variables

I wouldn't say it's super relevant to what you are asking for though :)

This post was edited by Klexmoo on Jan 6 2021 03:13pm
Go Back To Programming & Development Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll