d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Science, Technology & Nature > Revolutionizing The World
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 28,345.00
Jan 2 2021 11:28am
What is the next thing to do it?
why and how?
Thoughts?
Gold: 12,797.00
Warn: 20%
Jan 4 2021 09:19pm
ah, this is the topic for me. not because im especially smart, but because i ate some mushrooms and im starting to think they werent edible. seeing weird things now :wacko:

so im thinking, the first revolutionary thing humans invented was what, fire? it lead to better brain development due to better group defensive capabilities and much higher usability of nutrients from the ingested food (cooking), so it got us smarter, making every next revolution come faster. that was what, half a million years ago? the next one was probably weapon crafting and use, 100k years ago or so. again it lead to better brain development due to better group offensive capabilities (and even MORE proteins which were now able to be better used thanks to the already discovered fire!11) and better brain/hand coordination, making the next revolution come even faster! next was...writing? 5k years ago or so. now, this one made the brain/hand coordination even better, boosting our intellectual capabilities, and allowing us to retain knowledge, making every next one even faster :drool: !

then there were basic contraptions (a few k years back), steam engine (a few hundred years back), machines, travel, printing, antibiotics and vaccines, electricity, artificial light sources, transistors, computers. each revolution coming after a shorter time than the one before.

so whats my point, you might ask. my point is that the last few revolutions (internet, ai) not only didnt take less time to make work than the ones before, but they even took exponentially more time (imagine it like a parable from a square function after hitting the minimum)! so the time we need for every new revolution is getting longer! even WITH all the help from the previous ones, which is extremely weird, and it can mean two things. either we are getting dumber (probably true due to lack of darwinian selection after medical breakthroughs), and/or there is simply not much left to invent :cry: ! also every massive revolution was preceeded by a massive scientific breakthrough (for example quantum physics and transistors), and there is no massive scientific breakthroughs anymore :cry: whats there left to do? if string theory is proven correct (and thats a big if), we dont have jack shit from it as it doesnt give any usable predictions.

quantum computers also wont work for shit. see, in theory they are lovely :blush: get a million or so qubits and you can in theory predict what a specific molecule does! except that you cant get over 50~100 cubits for now, and possibly ever. the ways we have now dont scale for shit and no one knows how to get over the (pretty pathetic) limit we have now :unsure: actually its the same as in nature. do you know why electrons show quantum properties but a basketball doesnt? atoms also can, even molecules. actually in theory even a basketball could, if you could somehow make its molecules not interact with anything so it doesnt decohere :wacko: but in practice you CANT do that because its just too big. the same goes for quantum computers. the number of qubits is just too big for it not to decohere, so my prediction is that quantum computers will NEVER work as scientists hope.

so. whats the next revolution? 3rd world war, china style population control, reapers, some other apocalyptic event, you name it :mellow: we are getting really dumb really fast and if we dont make a superintelligent ai and soon, we are fucked :wacko:

edit: and if someone says tldr, feel free to fuck yourself :blush:

This post was edited by Snyft2 on Jan 4 2021 09:35pm
Gold: 20.00
Jan 9 2021 02:17am
Quote (Snyft2 @ Jan 4 2021 10:19pm)
ah, this is the topic for me. not because im especially smart, but because i ate some mushrooms and im starting to think they werent edible. seeing weird things now :wacko:

so im thinking, the first revolutionary thing humans invented was what, fire? it lead to better brain development due to better group defensive capabilities and much higher usability of nutrients from the ingested food (cooking), so it got us smarter, making every next revolution come faster. that was what, half a million years ago? the next one was probably weapon crafting and use, 100k years ago or so. again it lead to better brain development due to better group offensive capabilities (and even MORE proteins which were now able to be better used thanks to the already discovered fire!11) and better brain/hand coordination, making the next revolution come even faster! next was...writing? 5k years ago or so. now, this one made the brain/hand coordination even better, boosting our intellectual capabilities, and allowing us to retain knowledge, making every next one even faster :drool: !

then there were basic contraptions (a few k years back), steam engine (a few hundred years back), machines, travel, printing, antibiotics and vaccines, electricity, artificial light sources, transistors, computers. each revolution coming after a shorter time than the one before.

so whats my point, you might ask. my point is that the last few revolutions (internet, ai) not only didnt take less time to make work than the ones before, but they even took exponentially more time (imagine it like a parable from a square function after hitting the minimum)! so the time we need for every new revolution is getting longer! even WITH all the help from the previous ones, which is extremely weird, and it can mean two things. either we are getting dumber (probably true due to lack of darwinian selection after medical breakthroughs), and/or there is simply not much left to invent :cry: ! also every massive revolution was preceeded by a massive scientific breakthrough (for example quantum physics and transistors), and there is no massive scientific breakthroughs anymore :cry: whats there left to do? if string theory is proven correct (and thats a big if), we dont have jack shit from it as it doesnt give any usable predictions.

quantum computers also wont work for shit. see, in theory they are lovely :blush: get a million or so qubits and you can in theory predict what a specific molecule does! except that you cant get over 50~100 cubits for now, and possibly ever. the ways we have now dont scale for shit and no one knows how to get over the (pretty pathetic) limit we have now :unsure: actually its the same as in nature. do you know why electrons show quantum properties but a basketball doesnt? atoms also can, even molecules. actually in theory even a basketball could, if you could somehow make its molecules not interact with anything so it doesnt decohere :wacko: but in practice you CANT do that because its just too big. the same goes for quantum computers. the number of qubits is just too big for it not to decohere, so my prediction is that quantum computers will NEVER work as scientists hope.

so. whats the next revolution? 3rd world war, china style population control, reapers, some other apocalyptic event, you name it :mellow: we are getting really dumb really fast and if we dont make a superintelligent ai and soon, we are fucked :wacko:

edit: and if someone says tldr, feel free to fuck yourself :blush:

I enjoyed your post.
Gold: 12,797.00
Warn: 20%
Jan 9 2021 07:24am
Quote (youngs1n @ Jan 9 2021 09:17am)
I enjoyed your post.

aww thanks :wub: !
Gold: 260.11
Jan 11 2021 07:19am
Automated transportation is the next "big thing".

Transportation is an absolutely HUGE industry, way bigger than you realize. Every warehouse, truck driver, taxi driver, and commute to work is just moving one thing to another place. Once this is automated it will massively free time of those moving themselves, as it basically becomes a passive experience where you can do other things, and it will put A LOOOOOOT of people out of work. Even if it just affects long-haul truck drivers that's already like 4% of the total jobs in the United States.

The next thing after that, and arguably the same thing, will be general intelligence AI. Things you can show how to do a task once and they will be able to do it without being programmed for that specific task. It already exists for some applications and the cost is coming down really quickly.
Gold: 0.00
Jan 14 2021 09:28am
Ai, smart cities, smart car, 5g

Sold as a fancy future, bubbles and tubeshoots,

But in reality mass servailence and less rights and less privacy

Take away cash and give vaccines .

False pandemics and militant technologies

Cold weapons, silent wars, people never seen it coming, even pay for it themselves

Wireless 3rd eye psoriasis

This post was edited by eMptyBox on Jan 14 2021 09:32am
Go Back To Science, Technology & Nature Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll