d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Need Audio Help
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 40,387.47
Dec 24 2020 03:10pm
I know this is the misc computer but wondering if someone could help me with a TV audio issue. I'm sorry I am just terrible with audio and if someone could help I would be willing to throw some FG your way.

I have a Sharp TV and Onkyo receiver (I can get the models if needed). I'm trying to get sound when watching my Fire TV stick.

I have plugged an HDMI cord from HDMI 1 on the TV into the HDMI OUT on the receiver. I then plugged the Fire TV stick into one of the 3 HDMI ports on the back of the receiver. I then set up the HDMI port to the DVD input from the receiver. So when I hit DVD on the receiver and I'm on HDMI 1 on my TV I get the picture from the Fire Stick. The problem is the audio remains from the TV. When I go into the TV menu the only options for audio is PCM and Dolby (I tried both) and didn't get either to work.

What exactly am I doing wrong? Or is there another solution I should do instead? I also have an optical cord and wasn't able to get sound from that either.

Thanks for the help.
Gold: 0.00
Dec 26 2020 11:10am
What model numbers are the TV and receiver? The receiver can have settings to output HDMI audio at the amp, or to pass it through to the TV. It can also have settings to source audio on a per-input basis to HDMI, digital optical, or analog. The settings will vary depending on model, so that is important.
Dec 26 2020 07:54pm
Receiver is onkyo ht r560 and tv is sharp lc-70le600u. I was reading about the pass through but cant find it on the receiver.
Gold: 0.00
Dec 30 2020 07:41am
OK...that's a really old receiver, and it does not output HDMI audio sources, only passes them through to the TV. Also, that TV will not send HDMI audio out over optical, and neither support HDMI ARC, so you have two options here. One, get a new receiver which will output the audio directly (pretty much all new receivers will), or two, get an HDMI audio extractor which will take the audio stream from the Fire Stick and output it separately over optical or RCA. You'd then run that audio to either the optical in or RCA in on the receiver.

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Extractor-Converter-JTDAT5CH/dp/B00BIQER0E/
Dec 30 2020 09:07pm
Thanks. I will take a look at that extractor. Is there any reason I used to be able to run my playstation 3 through the same tv and receiver over the optical? Im thinking I just do that to watch netflix. Firestick has more things apps but i could probably do with just nexflix
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll