d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > No Bootable Device Found
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 0.00
Nov 23 2020 09:18pm
So I made this ubuntu bootable usb with rufus to try ubuntu on a laptop and installed it. Since after the reformat, the computer boots to a no bootable devices screen...

I tried looking around on the internet for solution but without finding much at all. Would you have an idea what to do?

Someone told me that the hard drive in the laptop might have been corrupted while the reformat.

Anyways thanks
Gold: 18,352.00
Nov 23 2020 09:26pm
Did you install Ubuntu over windows or did you try and make a dual boot system?
If you want just Ubuntu try a fresh reinstall and reformat drive.
If your goal was to obtain a dual boot system, generally you want a boot loader like grub which you need to select install alongside windows during the install process.
Nov 23 2020 10:56pm
Quote (King Atrhur @ 23 Nov 2020 20:26)
Did you install Ubuntu over windows or did you try and make a dual boot system?
If you want just Ubuntu try a fresh reinstall and reformat drive.
If your goal was to obtain a dual boot system, generally you want a boot loader like grub which you need to select install alongside windows during the install process.

I used the erase disk and install ubuntu option when installing. And when i use the try ubuntu and look at the disk the harddrive looks like it has ubuntu installed.

The computer just doesnt recognize it as a bootable device.

This post was edited by iPlayWithKittens on Nov 23 2020 11:01pm
Gold: 282,938.50
Nov 23 2020 11:13pm
Quote (iPlayWithKittens @ 23 Nov 2020 23:56)
I used the erase disk and install ubuntu option when installing. And when i use the try ubuntu and look at the disk the harddrive looks like it has ubuntu installed.

The computer just doesnt recognize it as a bootable device.

Did you remove all usb devices or change/revert boot priority?
Gold: 304.00
Nov 23 2020 11:45pm
uifi on/off may have to reformat the hdd to something windows recognises ie not fat with new laptops try downloading mini xp on usb and use that to boot and install os format ect .. and next time clone your HDD with backup software to a desktop or usb vol
use boot cd tools or just boot from CD or USB in win 7 settings you may be able to rebuild the mbr + few other commands like fix boot to get it to activate the restore partition .. few ways round this issue depending on what options or rather lack of options you have with this device defo fixable though been in this pos few times with various solutions simple one is use new hdd install windows then clone the drive dont panic let me know if its 7 or 10 or older and if you have cd rom spair hdd windows on a cd ect ...

im guessing win 10 as you must repair windows after to mmake it boot once your seeing the drive with /fixmbr and chkdsk fixboot or commands to get the uefi to boot windows even after a windows repair installation or if you clone a new dsk but let me know ill spell this alll out if your a total beginner in the morning but i hope if you fool around with ubuntu you can understand me

This post was edited by MRD` on Nov 24 2020 12:00am
Nov 24 2020 12:41am
Quote (MRD` @ 23 Nov 2020 22:45)
uifi on/off may have to reformat the hdd to something windows recognises ie not fat with new laptops try downloading mini xp on usb and use that to boot and install os format ect .. and next time clone your HDD with backup software to a desktop or usb vol
use boot cd tools or just boot from CD or USB in win 7 settings you may be able to rebuild the mbr + few other commands like fix boot to get it to activate the restore partition .. few ways round this issue depending on what options or rather lack of options you have with this device defo fixable though been in this pos few times with various solutions simple one is use new hdd install windows then clone the drive dont panic let me know if its 7 or 10 or older and if you have cd rom spair hdd windows on a cd ect ...

im guessing win 10 as you must repair windows after to mmake it boot once your seeing the drive with /fixmbr and chkdsk fixboot or commands to get the uefi to boot windows even after a windows repair installation or if you clone a new dsk but let me know ill spell this alll out if your a total beginner in the morning but i hope if you fool around with ubuntu you can understand me

Yeah ill try try following your steps im pretty noob so yeah if u can help me ill be really grateful
Gold: 304.00
Nov 24 2020 02:47pm
any luck ??

if not can the drive be seen in the bios ? do you have cd rom do you have a bootable USB copy of windows 7 or 10 and well go from there
Nov 24 2020 03:25pm
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll