d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Is My Router Dead?
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 9,181.50
Jul 26 2020 09:14pm
I asked this in General Help and it was recommended i post it here, so here i am..copied and pasted ;)

About 4 years ago now i decided to stop renting a modem from my cable provider and so i bought my own. Yesterday from out of nowhere my internet just stops working. We call the cable provider they do a reset on their end and have me do a reset on my end. Problem NOT solved. They couldnt detect our networks signal. So i schedule an appointment and have them come out here for the next day..but not even 20minutes my girlfriend decides to unplug everything and replug it all back in, she claims shes fixed it and yes, the internet is back up. So i cancel the appointment with the technician. Not even 24 hours later the problem persists. So she unplugs everything for a minute or so and plugs it back But this time it doesnt come back on. Im guessing my router is dead. What are your thoughts? My devices can see my networks, i have 2, its a dual band router..but nothing can actually be on the network if that makes any sense
Gold: 1.00
Trader: Trusted
Jul 26 2020 11:09pm
Hi Property_Damage!
If you answer the below questions it may help understand where the issue is coming from.
Are you able to log into your router?
If you use a wired connection, are you able to connect to the internet?
Have you tried renewing your IP address?
Are you using a router/modem combo or a separate router and modem?
What lights are solid, flashing, or off on the front of your router?
Gold: 792.00
Jul 27 2020 03:58am
Quote (Property_Damage @ Jul 26 2020 09:14pm)
I asked this in General Help and it was recommended i post it here, so here i am..copied and pasted ;)

About 4 years ago now i decided to stop renting a modem from my cable provider and so i bought my own. Yesterday from out of nowhere my internet just stops working. We call the cable provider they do a reset on their end and have me do a reset on my end. Problem NOT solved. They couldnt detect our networks signal. So i schedule an appointment and have them come out here for the next day..but not even 20minutes my girlfriend decides to unplug everything and replug it all back in, she claims shes fixed it and yes, the internet is back up. So i cancel the appointment with the technician. Not even 24 hours later the problem persists. So she unplugs everything for a minute or so and plugs it back But this time it doesnt come back on. Im guessing my router is dead. What are your thoughts? My devices can see my networks, i have 2, its a dual band router..but nothing can actually be on the network if that makes any sense

Do you have this issue when you use the 5Ghz network?

This post was edited by Superman on Jul 27 2020 03:58am
Jul 27 2020 10:46am
Quote (Jcub @ Jul 27 2020 12:09am)
Hi Property_Damage!
If you answer the below questions it may help understand where the issue is coming from.
Are you able to log into your router?
If you use a wired connection, are you able to connect to the internet?
Have you tried renewing your IP address?
Are you using a router/modem combo or a separate router and modem?
What lights are solid, flashing, or off on the front of your router?

Both days my internet went down i didnt have much time to tinker with anything because i had to go to work shortly afterwards

I didnt try logging into my router via my laptop because i didnt think of it
I just immediately called my provider

My ps3, ps4 and smart tv are all hard wired to the router and were unsuccessful at connecting to the networks as they are already automatically connected

I havent renewed my ip address

Its a dual band router with 2.4 and 5ghz networks

Right now my internet is miraculously back on so all the neccessary lights are on

Quote (Superman @ Jul 27 2020 04:58am)
Do you have this issue when you use the 5Ghz network?

I wanna say yes but i cant be certain as i didnt fully check then

I had a reponse in the General Help section where a user had a similar issue when there was a heatwave going on, both days this happened to me the temperature outside was over 92 degrees, im starting to think this might be the case
Jul 27 2020 10:50am
Quote (Property_Damage @ Jul 27 2020 10:46am)
Both days my internet went down i didnt have much time to tinker with anything because i had to go to work shortly afterwards

My ps3, ps4 and smart tv are all hard wired to the router and were unsuccessful at connecting to the networks as they are already automatically connected

Right now my internet is miraculously back on so all the neccessary lights are on

I had a reponse in the General Help section where a user had a similar issue when there was a heatwave going on, both days this happened to me the temperature outside was over 92 degrees, im starting to think this might be the case

Are there other people near you that recently installed a network or got internet? Or did you recently install a landline that uses wireless handsets, microwave, etc?

It sounds like heavy channel interface. Make sure every device is using the 5Ghz band instead of the 2.4Ghz band. Let me know if you have issues after that.

This post was edited by Superman on Jul 27 2020 10:51am
Jul 27 2020 11:03am
If you continue to have issues while using the 5Ghz channel... replace your cable modem/router. (You can always take it back.)

If that does not work...

While it could be a temperature thing, it's more likely that that your coax cable (The black one that runs into your house) is damaged due to being 4 years old. Especially, if you have any extreme weather conditions (such as heavy snowfall/rain or high sustained winds) Your ISP will probably not want to change it out, but they'll need to.

This post was edited by Superman on Jul 27 2020 11:05am
Gold: 397.77
Jul 28 2020 05:58am
Quote (Property_Damage @ 27 Jul 2020 18:46)

It wasn't a heat issue as he said in there.

But Now when I say too hot I mean the voltage/watts The transformer or whatever was putting out was too high <--

Maybe your router is just getting old and works on /off. I would buy a new one. Then you should be good to go
Jul 28 2020 12:38pm
Yeah i thought it was just too damn hot and it was causing like a brown out Lol

I got a new modem from my isp, it works but theres only 2 lan ports vs my old one had 4, and the phone jack is smaller for some reason so i cant plug the landline into it, ugh

Well, least the internet is solved, it was just getting old and couldnt keep up, it lasted a good 4years and change
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
Add Reply New Topic New Poll