d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Entertainment Room > Movies & TV Shows > Can Someone Help Me With Watchmen
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 50,062.31
Jul 20 2020 06:36pm
Dr. Manhattan is supposed to be a metaphor of the atomic bomb.

I tried to get into the comic books but dear God it’s so complicated and confusing. I decided it wasn’t worth it. It’s all bullshit anyway.
Gold: 6,001.00
Aug 20 2020 09:05pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Jul 16 2020 08:01pm)
Dr. Manhattan symbol is for hydrogen as explained in the comic/movie.

Also he was written to be a more "realistic" god-like being, kind of a cynical take on Superman. Moore thought/thinks that if you had godlike power you would eventually grow detached and bored of humanity, which is why he hated Superman and why he made Manhattan.

isn't superman more of a jock than a scientist? lex luthor definitely seemed the type to be "bored of humanity" and such due to his high view of himself.
Gold: 0.80
Aug 21 2020 05:31am
Intensive purposes though
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Aug 21 2020 12:55pm
Quote (oRAnGeInAbOx @ Aug 20 2020 08:05pm)
isn't superman more of a jock than a scientist? lex luthor definitely seemed the type to be "bored of humanity" and such due to his high view of himself.

Luthor is a villain, not a hero. Luthor isn't godlike by any standards.... he's an insanely intelligent human, nothing more and nothing less and his unhealthy obsession with superman is an example of his humanity.

Quote (pwb3 @ Jul 20 2020 05:36pm)
Dr. Manhattan is supposed to be a metaphor of the atomic bomb.

I tried to get into the comic books but dear God it’s so complicated and confusing. I decided it wasn’t worth it. It’s all bullshit anyway.

Not sure how I missed this gem :rofl:

This post was edited by jadeoshbogosh on Aug 21 2020 12:56pm
Aug 21 2020 04:30pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ Aug 21 2020 02:55pm)
Luthor is a villain, not a hero. Luthor isn't godlike by any standards.... he's an insanely intelligent human, nothing more and nothing less and his unhealthy obsession with superman is an example of his humanity.

Not sure how I missed this gem :rofl:

hero or villain doesn't seem too important. luthor is a mad scientist and he's intimidated by superman, thats really the only contrast between him and dr.manhattan as dr.manhattan wasn't really intimidated by anyone afaik. and just to keep it simple im just going to pretend in the superman world, superman is #1 and lex is #2, #3 and the rest are just simple mortals. so in that world luthor basically is a dr.manhattan level genius and most likely sees everyone as subhuman except for the mighty superman.

all my knowledge of watchmen comes from the movie and ive only seen it once nearly a decade ago. and as far as superman goes ive only seen smallville & played various video games. so yea im definitely not well informed but from what i've seen the two are just so different. so to read that manhattan was inspired by the author's dislike for superman was surprising to read. i thought he was just a metaphor for the atomic bomb like the other comment mentioned. though of course 1 character could be inspired from many things but i still dont see superman in it outside of the genre.
Gold: 250.00
Warn: 10%
Aug 22 2020 01:25pm
Quote (oRAnGeInAbOx @ Aug 21 2020 03:30pm)
hero or villain doesn't seem too important. luthor is a mad scientist and he's intimidated by superman, thats really the only contrast between him and dr.manhattan as dr.manhattan wasn't really intimidated by anyone afaik. and just to keep it simple im just going to pretend in the superman world, superman is #1 and lex is #2, #3 and the rest are just simple mortals. so in that world luthor basically is a dr.manhattan level genius and most likely sees everyone as subhuman except for the mighty superman.

all my knowledge of watchmen comes from the movie and ive only seen it once nearly a decade ago. and as far as superman goes ive only seen smallville & played various video games. so yea im definitely not well informed but from what i've seen the two are just so different. so to read that manhattan was inspired by the author's dislike for superman was surprising to read. i thought he was just a metaphor for the atomic bomb like the other comment mentioned. though of course 1 character could be inspired from many things but i still dont see superman in it outside of the genre.

Many writers dislike Superman because of how utter bullshit the character is. The creator of The Boys also talks about his open dislike of the character and while Homelander is satirical, he's a much more realistic representation. You've got two opposite spectrums, both gods, one who treats humans like playthings and one who thinks nothing of them at all. Luthor has nothing to do with the conversation, since again, he's A. Not a god or godlike by any standard, and B. Not a hero. Being evil and having a genius level intellect go hand and hand, thus he's a believable character.

Being able go do whatever the fuck you want with no repercussions, being treated like shit anytime something goes wrong and still remaining a smiling symbol of hope is nonsensical. It's a comic though and most superheros are like this. We as fans are lucky to get more real representations spawned from such ludicrously written characters, The Boys and Watchmen being two fantastic examples of this.
Gold: 10,025.00
Aug 22 2020 04:33pm
Quote (jadeoshbogosh @ 22 Aug 2020 13:25)
Many writers dislike Superman because of how utter bullshit the character is. The creator of The Boys also talks about his open dislike of the character and while Homelander is satirical, he's a much more realistic representation. You've got two opposite spectrums, both gods, one who treats humans like playthings and one who thinks nothing of them at all. Luthor has nothing to do with the conversation, since again, he's A. Not a god or godlike by any standard, and B. Not a hero. Being evil and having a genius level intellect go hand and hand, thus he's a believable character.

Being able go do whatever the fuck you want with no repercussions, being treated like shit anytime something goes wrong and still remaining a smiling symbol of hope is nonsensical. It's a comic though and most superheros are like this. We as fans are lucky to get more real representations spawned from such ludicrously written characters, The Boys and Watchmen being two fantastic examples of this.

Idk why this guy is talking about Luther tbh. I don't think he understands the idea of Manhattan.

The point is like do you care about ants? No not really, so why would someone with the power of a God care about humans?
Aug 24 2020 01:22pm
Quote (Blah58 @ Aug 22 2020 06:33pm)
Idk why this guy is talking about Luther tbh. I don't think he understands the idea of Manhattan.

The point is like do you care about ants? No not really, so why would someone with the power of a God care about humans?

yeah i know and the 2nd line applies to luthor (except that superman exists, everyone else is an ant). i guess you cant see how luthor relates to it and i just cant see how superman couldve inspired someone like dr.man

This post was edited by oRAnGeInAbOx on Aug 24 2020 01:22pm
Go Back To Movies & TV Shows Topic List
Prev12
Add Reply New Topic New Poll