d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > General Chat > Political & Religious Debate >
Poll > Indian Writer Destroys My White Privilege
Prev123413Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
  Guests cannot view or vote in polls. Please register or login.
Gold: 260.11
Jul 12 2020 01:05pm
Quote (ReturnFormer @ Jul 12 2020 03:58am)
The question of whether anyone currently alive deserves reparations aside, throwing money at people only makes them lazy. You completely missed the point of the article. It's not coming from money that creates success, it's coming from a culture that values hard work and education.

Citation needed

Every study conducted so far on things like UBI have shown that they don't reduce the amount they work except in cases where they should, like new mothers

It's both culture, and coming from money. If your parents have money you get so many more fuck ups than if your parents have no money. My cousins have rich parents and have gotten away with so many more things than I could dream of because their parents could hire very good representation for them. It's culture, it's money, and the political system. And when the political system is against you it makes it harder to get money and harder to develop a positive culture.

This post was edited by Thor123422 on Jul 12 2020 01:06pm
Gold: 11,571.00
Jul 12 2020 01:17pm
Quote (Plaguefear @ Jul 12 2020 04:46am)
I think slavery reparations would have put everything on a more even slate, considering everyone else got reparations including the japanese mentioned in the article, the slave OWNERS and native americans.

Reparations would of made sense 100 year ago, not today.

Vast majority of whites here today came in the early 20th century. Germans, Poles, Russians, eastern Europeans, Italians, Irish etc. If you want racism to rise and for people to resent another group then force them to pay for something their ancestors weren't even here for.

Democrats need to stay away from this issue like the plague. They won't just alienate a bunch of whites but pretty much all other races that are being forced to pay for things they had nothing to do with.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Jul 12 2020 01:18pm
Gold: 12,730.67
Jul 12 2020 01:20pm
I think a good solution is to have people take an implicit bias test every year and you pay a penalty/tax based on your score.
Gold: 285.00
Jul 12 2020 01:31pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jul 12 2020 03:17pm)
Reparations would of made sense 100 year ago, not today.

Vast majority of whites here today came in the early 20th century. Germans, Poles, Russians, eastern Europeans, Italians, Irish etc. If you want racism to rise and for people to resent another group then force them to pay for something their ancestors weren't even here for.

Democrats need to stay away from this issue like the plague. They won't just alienate a bunch of whites but pretty much all other races that are being forced to pay for things they had nothing to do with.

The American government would pay, not pollacks.

You're concerned about fairness but ignoring slavery, jim crow, systemic racism?
Gold: 11,571.00
Jul 12 2020 01:36pm
Quote (Skinned @ Jul 12 2020 03:31pm)
The American government would pay, not pollacks.

You're concerned about fairness but ignoring slavery, jim crow, systemic racism?

The American government doesn’t just represent anglo-saxons, Spaniards and Portuguese who predominantly dominated the slave trade.

None of my ancestors were here 50 years ago. If you think anyone in my family line & many like me are going to roll over and agree to have our tax dollars go to something we had nothing to do with then gl.

Imagine telling the Hispanic/Latino Or Asian populationS their taxes are increasing because we have to pay reparations. Would be the end of the Democratic Party.

This post was edited by ofthevoid on Jul 12 2020 01:36pm
Gold: 1.93
Jul 12 2020 01:46pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jul 13 2020 05:36am)
The American government doesn’t just represent anglo-saxons, Spaniards and Portuguese who predominantly dominated the slave trade.

None of my ancestors were here 50 years ago. If you think anyone in my family line & many like me are going to roll over and agree to have our tax dollars go to something we had nothing to do with then gl.

Imagine telling the Hispanic/Latino Or Asian populationS their taxes are increasing because we have to pay reparations. Would be the end of the Democratic Party.

The american government does represent the american government though.
And native americans see reparations to this day are you out there protesting this?
Gold: 57.00
Jul 12 2020 02:12pm
Quote (ReturnFormer @ 12 Jul 2020 14:33)
throwing money at people with a strong work ethic will not necessarily harm that work ethic. throwing money at people who are already looking for easy outs etc will not encourage them to work harder.

that doesnt apply to current generations.

if he only brought his own experience, youi might have a point. but he didnt, he also brought numerous statistics to back up his point. do you disagree with those statistics? one of his sources is a ny times article. the times is notably left-leaning. if even they can see this, theres no reason why anyone cant. the problem is the solution requires people to take personal responsibility, and no one wants to do that, its a whole lot easier to just point fingers at whites and say its their fault. while im sure discrimination played a role in setting up the current situation, that happened 50-100 years ago. its no longer relevant. at this point, anyone who wants to can work hard and rise up above their historical situation and make something of themselves. there is no racial barriers holding them back, as proven by black immigrants and other blacks with the work ethic who rise above their poverty and are successful.

unfortunately there are a lot of pale pasty privileged lefties who look at minorities like this with utter scorn and contempt. this is due to the fact this group of minorities “behave and think” in a manner is opposed to how pale pasty privileged lefties ‘expect minorities to act’.

it’s pretty blatant racism that gets brushed aside or even ignored quite frequently. look how quickly skinned attempted to dismiss the study because he called it anecdotal evidence only. didn’t fit his pre-conceived notion of how minorities “should think, feel, and behave due to their skin color” etc. that is sort of underhanded racism that comes from the privilege that northern pale pasty privileged lefty racists showcase all the time. another example is of course the expected (D) nominee, Crime bill writer Joe Biden, screaming at a black male this message: if you are black person who hasn’t decided to vote for Biden yet “you ain’t black”

This post was edited by excellence on Jul 12 2020 02:15pm
Gold: 633.87
Jul 12 2020 02:19pm
Quote (Plaguefear @ Jul 12 2020 03:46pm)
And native americans see reparations to this day are you out there protesting this?

What is the correct dollar amount, paid over what time frame?
Gold: 260.11
Jul 12 2020 02:23pm
Quote (ofthevoid @ Jul 12 2020 02:36pm)

I learned recently that almost all white families in the United States can trace their families wealth back to the United States literally giving away land, and that minority families were not allowed to apply for those land grants. That land was used as the seed money for those families for generations, investing and building multi-generational wealth, while at the same time black families were often disallowed from even getting loans for homes in the good parts of town, which then lead to less wealth, corporate exploitation, less political power to fight the exploitation, etc. etc.

There is no fair in this situation for everybody. I think the best we can do now is provide access to education for everybody while rooting out systemic racism, like the laws in North Carolina that were struck down for disallowing methods of voter ID specifically based on which races were more likely to use which forms of ID. Still, that' will likely not be good enough since they take years in court to overturn at minimum, and often never get overturned.
Gold: 22,202.22
Jul 12 2020 02:26pm
Quote (Plaguefear @ Jul 12 2020 03:46pm)

wrong. the american government is not its own entity. it is a direct representation of the people who elected it at the time they elected it, ie , the american people, and the government's money is their money. as mentioned, 100 years ago reparations may have made sense. it is now absurd to expect that people who primarily had nothing at all to do with slavery have their tax dollars go to people who were not slaves.

possibly if you could find the descendants of confirmed slave owners you could have them pay reparations to actual descendants of confirmed slaves. but even that makes little sense at this point, and would be quite difficult to prove.

Quote (bogie160 @ Jul 12 2020 04:19pm)
What is the correct dollar amount, paid over what time frame?

as well as who pays it to whom? all of which is impossible to determine.
Go Back To Political & Religious Debate Topic List
Prev123413Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll