d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > Off-Topic > Computers & IT > Networking Solution > & Smart Home
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll
Gold: 5.00
Jun 5 2020 09:04am
- This seemed like the most fitting sub-thread area to post this. I'm looking for recommendations for 'smart home' with a solid network . Please re-direct/close this if needed.

Greetings,

Looking for some advice or direction on networking solutions for the following. Budget ~ 2-3K USD.

Knowns:
Either 100mbs or 1 gig fiber service, assume 100mbs worst case
10 acre plot, multiple out buildings within a ~1 acre zone
Camping spots and RV spots ~2 acre zone
lots of granite/iron in the ground, tall timbers nearby

Needs:
- Smart home platform with decent security/privacy. (thermostat, lights, outdoor-light, door-lock, camera)
- Extra components of network add low latency/ping/jitter
- Strong signal within 1 acre zone, weaker okay within 2 acre.
- consistent ping
- works well through steel siding/roof

Uses:
- 4K streaming video such as netflix
- Hosting web services during client project work
- Gaming
- 2-16 concurrent users, maybe 4x streaming same time

This post was edited by RedFromWinter on Jun 5 2020 09:09am
Gold: 18,352.00
Jun 5 2020 10:47am
Hire someone, this is a lot to break down on here.
Jun 5 2020 11:27am
Quote (King Atrhur @ Jun 5 2020 11:47am)
Hire someone, this is a lot to break down on here.

If no one has background I will DIY, mainly looking for product recommendations if anyone has experience with a similar/related setup. Apple seemed the goto for smart home from Youtuber reviews.
Jun 5 2020 11:28am
Quote (RedFromWinter @ Jun 5 2020 01:27pm)
If no one has background I will DIY, mainly looking for product recommendations if anyone has experience with a similar/related setup. Apple seemed the goto for smart home from Youtuber reviews.

LOL @ apple. your better of to diy if your not hiring someone just be ready for a headache.
Jun 5 2020 11:31am
Quote (King Atrhur @ Jun 5 2020 12:28pm)
LOL @ apple. your better of to diy if your not hiring someone just be ready for a headache.

I know, but of the three big ones Google, Amazon, Apple, they had 1 step setup and better PR optics with privacy. Really want a 4th option with proper security, without having to flash roms and shit.
Jun 5 2020 11:33am
To bad gratz quit jsp, if you can find him lurking on a multi he'd probably be the only one I know with a fully automated system.
IIRC he has smart features as well as intricate water cooling/heating system for house and barn etc.
Gold: 455.10
Jun 5 2020 01:08pm
Quote (King Atrhur @ Jun 5 2020 12:33pm)
To bad gratz quit jsp, if you can find him lurking on a multi he'd probably be the only one I know with a fully automated system.
IIRC he has smart features as well as intricate water cooling/heating system for house and barn etc.

i do miss greg =(
Gold: 5.20
Jun 6 2020 12:29pm
What is op looking for?

Like an Alexa to do everything?

I.e. open/close garage door? Turn on lighting in kitchen. AC etc etc?

This post was edited by TempoONE on Jun 6 2020 12:34pm
Gold: 110.00
Jun 6 2020 05:23pm
My whole place is automated, but then again that for my single home with myself, my wife, and two kids. For a project of this size, if you are hellbent against getting it done professionally, I would firstly NOT recommend apple for anything other than a tablet for casual games. Secondly, in a previous deployment for a similarly sized building, we went full Cisco with a central server single network stack and Cat6 ran to each room with a quad terminal in each and a Meraki wireless router/AP spaced and configured in a mesh and priority routing scenario.

I'll also say that no home internet provider, no matter what they may tell you, is going to provide you that level of bandwidth in a split tunnel to sustain 16 people simultaneously streaming 4k , playing games, and other intensive applications. You should look into business or enterprise solutions from companies like L3, or Century link or equivalent in your area.
Jun 7 2020 04:09am
Quote (Cactuar_NOM @ Jun 6 2020 06:23pm)
You should look into business or enterprise solutions from companies like L3, or Century link or equivalent in your area.

Would you say the same about a fiber optic internet provider? There is a provider in my area, it used to be part of a federal fiber internet project. My current land lord gets the 100mbs package, and I've pulled > 90mbs at 100 yards from his outside router setup. The service provider had a 1gig promotion, was considering trying that out and exploring the business plans as well.

Doing more research this weekend, sounds like a WIFI 6 mesh network solution with 1ghz or greater backhaul wired with Cat6 would be ideal. Based upon specs, the Orbi Wifi 6 looked great, but had mediocre critic review. Amplify HD had a nice module with throughput gauge, but also a bunch of dings. The TP-Link Deco looked to be the most bang for buck for a complete air solution. The physical hardwiring support seemed limited though.

Leaning toward the Orbi Wifi 6 as a setup with Cat6 backhaul. Might need a 1ghz>switch somewhere in there for the backhaul setup. Will need to bury the wire, cut/crimp new ends. Seems you can setup the mesh without the backhaul initially though.

Still not sure about smart devices though. Really want to take anything IPP and wall it off from pubic internet.

This post was edited by RedFromWinter on Jun 7 2020 04:13am
Go Back To Computers & IT Topic List
12Next
Add Reply New Topic New Poll